Page 712 of 847 FirstFirst ... 212612662702710711712713714722762812 ... LastLast
Results 7,111 to 7,120 of 8464

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Looks good to me, sensible muted kit compared to 99% of weekend cyclists riding about looking like an accident in a fluorescent paint factory.
    Behind the times round your way?

The vogue today is all-black kit, black sunglasses, black bikes - and often black looks.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post

The vogue today is all-black kit, black sunglasses, black bikes - and often black looks.
    You are kidding me?
    Yes we are a good 20 years behind the times, long live punk.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Not quite 50 years younger MrBreeze... in fact by the time the 2022 Lakeland Classics come round, i'll be in the V40 category...

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post

I've got it now 👍. Just happened to check on BBC cycling news and noticed all these riders in black.........

With the toe still a bit sore, it was RonHills on and back on the bike this morning.

Out through Nuneaton towards Hinckley, then along the A5 to Atherstone (infamous for its traditional ball-game). Up until this point it had been pretty flat and i'd been moving fairly swiftly by my standards.

But then came a change on to the more hilly rural section over to the old Daw Mill Colliery, and then linking some villages together back home, pretty much all of this section into quite a vicious headwind.

Final scores 29.5 miles, 750ft, 2hrs05.... top speed was 31mph but that was into a headwind and without getting out of the seat... if i'd known it was coming and had a run-up, and put some effort in, i'd imagine i could have burst through the elusive 35mph barrier!
    Last edited by Travs; 20-02-2021 at 01:36 PM.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    With the toe still a bit sore, it was RonHills on and back on the bike this morning.

Out through Nuneaton towards Hinckley, then along the A5 to Atherstone (infamous for its traditional ball-game). Up until this point it had been pretty flat and i'd been moving fairly swiftly by my standards.

But then came a change on to the more hilly rural section over to the old Daw Mill Colliery, and then linking some villages together back home, pretty much all of this section into quite a vicious headwind.

Final scores 29.5 miles, 750ft, 2hrs05.... top speed was 31mph but that was into a headwind and without getting out of the seat... if i'd known it was coming and had a run-up, and put some effort in, i'd imagine i could have burst through the elusive 35mph barrier!
    Why subject yourself to the unpleasantness of the A5; wouldn't the B4111 be better?

I have just had a look at the map, and near Daw Mill there is a place called Slowley Hill: sounds a good place for cycling.

In my younger days I did get over to that part of the country a couple of times on bike rides; there's actually some very nice countryside to the west of Nuneaton.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

The A5 section wan't too bad actually... i did have visions of Marco on the A38 when i turned on to it, but was straight as an arrow, good surface, gentle inclines. Wouldn't fancy it during the week though.

I wasn't actually sure where i was going to go... initially planned to head into Leicestershire either through Earl Shilton or Market Bosworth, and the A5 diversion was just a last-minute choice. And to be honest the B4111 is hardly scenic splendour out past Mt Judd and the awful Camp Hill estate.

Slowley Hill... i actually came down that on my ride a few days ago!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Don't disrespect Mount Judd: it's Britain's best landmark! https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...th-no-14639381 . I also found an article about it by one Ben Eccleston: https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...eveal-13331982 . I think you mentioned that you have a relative who is a journalist?

Anyway, whenever I am taking the train between Leicester and Birmingham (which isn't all that often), it's something I always look out for.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Yes, Ben is my little brother...!

Good advice about glasses, I never wear them and am often suffering from "bugs in the eye".
    I have some safety glasses so will try them, perhaps if I paint them black like Graham suggests I shall be mistaken for a team Sky rider 🚴.