Master

Re: Todays Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Might be worth a similar post on Sales and Wants Tom
    Aye. will do
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Quote Originally Posted by Lola View Post
    Apparently the medical benefits of traditional Coke (not the fat free, caffeine reduce, lime flavour etc) were discovered by accident but it is used a lot in the States to help geriatrics get over the effects of anasthesia (though does not improve spelling).
    Triathletes have used it for years after open water swimming to avoid 'Trent belly' and it does appear to work. Perhaps it would be worth considering keeping some in the car/tent for after a long day in the fells drinking water from streams etc.
    Note of caution, don't try adding rehydration salts or energy powder to the can; you won't have much Coke left to drink!
    That's really interesting, cheers Lola. I worked in Cusco, Peru and the locals there use it a lot when they have stomach problems. Always wondered whether there was any proven benefits. I met one woman who used to boil it up and drink it warm...yuk. (There is a group of people in Chiapas state in Mexico that use it to induce them to burp as part of a religious ceremony - wierd and very funny).

It is not the cola part of it that has the medicinal qualities, it is the Coca part... Coca leaves are very good to chew against altitude sickness too! It definitely settles the stomach as well... I hate the stuff though, only ever have taken it in for medicinal purposes
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Super Moderator

The other thing Cola has going for it is it's sterile and therefore safe to drink if you're badly dehydrated where the local water's not safe to drink

A friend of mine had a fantastic recipe from Hong Kong for cooking chicken in Coca-cola . Slightly off-topic but very tasty
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    The other thing Cola has going for it is it's sterile and therefore safe to drink if you're badly dehydrated where the local water's not safe to drink

A friend of mine had a fantastic recipe from Hong Kong for cooking chicken in Coca-cola . Slightly off-topic but very tasty
    Had it at Buffet City in manny on saturday
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Quote Originally Posted by Hanneke View Post
    It is not the cola part of it that has the medicinal qualities, it is the Coca part... Coca leaves are very good to chew against altitude sickness too! It definitely settles the stomach as well... I hate the stuff though, only ever have taken it in for medicinal purposes
    I used to drink Coca tea when I studied and worked in Cusco and chewed the leaves occasionally (but it leaves your mouth numb) but I thought Coca Cola didn't contain any of the real stuff anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post

A trick when your about to snap is to down one of those cans of coca cola and eat three or four lumps of sugar.
    Just carry a few odinary sachets of sugar and even if you drink water and bang a few of those down you its amazing how quickly they work.

I'm no expert; but surely the downside to such a quick sugar 'spike' is that it 'burns out' just as quickly as it appears? And many coaching manuals warn that such sugar 'swings' can eventually lead to diabetes. Better to eat enough complex carbohydrates well in advance and benefit from the long slow release. Wheeze will no doubt be along to correct me, if I'm wrong. Come on Simon, where are you when needed.

Took the MTB round Gisburn Forest from Tosside today.

Super muddy on some sections up there at the mo, un-rideable, but where they've used proper materials, all was good

10 mile round trip to Jobcentre to sign off, bloke says to me 'Hopefully, we won't be seeing you again' Touch wood, dam right my son
    Hills and Guinness!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by merrylegs View Post
    10 mile round trip to Jobcentre to sign off, bloke says to me 'Hopefully, we won't be seeing you again' Touch wood, dam right my son
    Good stuff Steve!
    Poacher turned game-keeper