Page 255 of 847 FirstFirst ... 155205245253254255256257265305355755 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,550 of 8464

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Master and MR

Re: Todays Bike Ride

Normanton, Wakefield. West Riding of Yorkshire

Click on thumbnails to open/enlarge

I had a decent ride-out around FerryBridge, Brotherton, & Sherburn-in-Elmet this afternoon, with a nice little 'side-trip' incorporated, & one planned for later that didn't happen

A friend who has a 'Private Pilots Licence' had told me that the BBMF AVRoe Lancaster was due to perform a 'fly-past' at Sherburn Aero Club (where he's a member), whilst on its flight to Elvington Air Museum

http://www.sherburn-aero-club.org.uk/

http://www.yorkshireairmuseum.co.uk/

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/theaircraft/index.cfm

So off I headed (on the Dyna-Tech, leaving the Ridley in the house)
    Despite a heck of a head-wind for practically the entire trip there, & stopped at 'Squires' for a pot of tea en-route (otherwise I'd have been too early), there's usually a few nice bikes to look at at the cafe too, plus 'ladies in tight leather'

http://www.squires-cafe.co.uk/

On my subsequent arrival at the Aero-Club, I was informed by the chaps on the gate that the flight was delayed & it would be a further 3/4 hours before it was due
    Plus, it was the Hurricane, & not the Lancaster.

So sadly I turned around, heading partway back down the FerryBridge/Tadcaster 'turnpike' (A162) before turning off at its intersection with the A63 at Monk Fryston to head, via Fairburn, over to Castleford & hence home.

- with its reminders of bygone travel -

It wasn't that I didn't want to see the Hurricane, more that it was damned cold out there, then it started to rain, and I had no rain-jacket with me (I've seen the BBMF Lancaster, Spitfire & Dakota in-flight before)

I'll add here that I've been within 25 feet of a Lancaster as all 4 Merlins are fired up sequentially, & it's a wonderful noise, & you can do the same
    -if you want, you can even pay for a 'taxi-ride'

http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/

Picking up a nail in the back tyre as I re-entered Sherburn wasn't good either, but it didn't penetrate properly, as it was still fully inflated when I got back home

As it was, I walked in the house before it was due to sweep along the length of the runway, but with (other, 'steamier') plans for later......................

Last week I'd found out, from having a quick look at 'UK Steam Info', that '60163 Tornado' was on the East Coast Main Line, with a charter from Kings Cross to York.

http://a1steam.com/

http://87.106.232.248/tours/trs10.htm#twk ('The Cathedrals Express')
    I had intended nipping over to Great Heck (site of that infamous crash a few years ago), but didn't get there...........

We'd told 'small-child' we'd take her to see 'How To Train Your Dragon', & I was intent on the 19:00 showing, & had suggested that we could combine the 2 activities.

But "no", we ended up at the 17:00 showing, so I was sat in the dark when 'Tornado' passed through

Still, it was a fairly good film though
    Last edited by RichardAThackeray; 08-05-2010 at 10:18 PM.
    Generally to be found plodding along with 'www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk'

Nice hilly 30ish miler with mate over to the Holme Moss fell race organiser's house to enter. Just the tonic i needed, need to start training again now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

did 30 miles round the dales yesterday in 1:48 and did it again in 1:43 today and that was after a load of ale at a party last night!! getting quicker but its hard work. just watching Giro and then going to watch Chelsea beat Wigan and stop United winning the league

30 miles in peak, 2h03 - 2650 feet climb (according to garmin), 2900 feet of climb according to bikehike.

so ave speed 14.7mph (average moving speed given as 16.9mph - but i think it rather generously assumes i've stopped when going dead slow up steep hills so stick to the more easily calculated average)

just need to build up now - eek!

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    Thanks Daz, I found that too and proceeded to remove my block... initially I wasn't strong enough to get the lockring undone, so called a friend, who could not make it until very early this am (before his race elsewhere) so decided to get the HUGE wrench that I use for uncoupling my gas tank out and with the extra leverage of the much longer handle managed to get it off

The other block was easier to remove... Bothe were cleaned and put back on the other wheels... so I did use the Mavics after all...

But... It was BLOODY HARD! It was a handicap race, so the 4th cats and women set off first, followed by the 2nd/3rd cats and those followed by the scratch group of really fast riders... 4 lap course... so I get dropped by the 4th cat group by being wrestled off the wheel I was holding and pushed to the side!!! :-O when we go up a hill at the end of lap 1... and I keep riding, as I am planning on jumping on the next group... So they come and I jump in and... the pace of that group is much more even, so I stay with them, bury myself in the bunch. Then when we go over that hill again, I struggle to stay with them and there are I am, dropped again, with another 1 3/4 lap to go :-O

So decision time: do I TT round and see it as good expereince and practice and still finish? There is a women's race within this race, 7 women entered, two are either behind me or stepped off... so if any of the others puncture, crash or drop out, I may just stand a chance LOL... So I continue, on my own... Thing is, I managed to maintain a pace averaging 24 mph, on my own, on an undulating circuit... So although I came in last, I still finished! Others got lapped or stepped off... so they in theory were behind me!

I learnt two things: I need to improve my climbing and I need to work on the surges, change in pace...

I also have just entered a 50m TT, because if I can average abt 24 mph for 45 miles, on a roadbike, on an undulating circuit, I can probably do quite well in a 50m TT

Knackered legs now...
    Last edited by Hanneke; 09-05-2010 at 04:36 PM.
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hanneke View Post
    Thanks Daz, I found that too and proceeded to remove my block... initially I wasn't strong enough to get the lockring undone, so called a friend, who could not make it until very early this am (before his race elsewhere) so decided to get the HUGE wrench that I use for uncoupling my gas tank out and with the extra leverage of the much longer handle managed to get it off

The other block was easier to remove... Bothe were cleaned and put back on the other wheels... so I did use the Mavics after all...

But... It was BLOODY HARD! It was a handicap race, so the 4th cats and women set off first, followed by the 2nd/3rd cats and those followed by the scratch group of really fast riders... 4 lap course... so I get dropped by the 4th cat group by being wrestled off the wheel I was holding and pushed to the side!!! :-O when we go up a hill at the end of lap 1... and I keep riding, as I am planning on jumping on the next group... So they come and I jump in and... the pace of that group is much more even, so I stay with them, bury myself in the bunch. Then when we go over that hill again, I struggle to stay with them and there are I am, dropped again, with another 1 3/4 lap to go :-O

So decision time: do I TT round and see it as good expereince and practice and still finish? There is a women's race within this race, 7 women entered, two are either behind me or stepped off... so if any of the others puncture, crash or drop out, I may just stand a chance LOL... So I continue, on my own... Thing is, I managed to maintain a pace averaging 24 mph, on my own, on an undulating circuit... So although I came in last, I still finished! Others got lapped or stepped off... so they in theory were behind me!

I learnt two things: I need to improve my climbing and I need to work on the surges, change in pace...

I also have just entered a 50m TT, because if I can average abt 24 mph for 45 miles, on a roadbike, on an undulating circuit, I can probably do quite well in a 50m TT

Knackered legs now...
    Good effort Han and a very good average speed.

22 miles / 1,000 ft in 75mins. A circular route, but 21 miles of it was into a head wind??

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    22 miles / 1,000 ft in 75mins. A circular route, but 21 miles of it was into a head wind??
    At least your out even though the wind was against you well done Dom.

Well, putting myself out and work yesterday after my race, as well as working 4 days in a row the last week of this month has paid of! I have now negotiated 27 - 31 July off, so I can participate in the European Masters Track Championships This pleases me greatly!
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi