Page 277 of 846 FirstFirst ... 177227267275276277278279287327377777 ... LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,770 of 8460

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Re: Todays Bike Ride

I've given up measuring bike rides in miles / feet. I'm now measuring them in miles / churches. Over the past few months I've noticed how many churches I seem to pass, so this morning I plotted a route to specifically go past as many as possible. The rules were that the route had to be mostly circular (The first 2 miles out and back don't count), and I didn't allow myself to back track once I'd visited a church - except where the church was up a dead-end. All religions qualify!

Todays ride was 27 miles and 13 churches, giving a ride score of 1:2.07. Although I did cheat as I saw a sign to a church that I hadn't plotted so cycled up to it and back. I reckon there are at least 3 more not far off the same route, so a 1:1.85 is possibly achievable. I even photographed them all... Maybe I should start a 'Todays Church' thread??

Piccies
    Route
    Last edited by dominion; 26-06-2010 at 06:23 PM.

Super Moderator

Good Lord!
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Master and MR

Had to visit meadowhall this morning but i took my rourky and cycled home. 64miles in a round about fashion
    Thought of ratfink as I passed over owler bar.
    The tour is but a moment away and Ive downloaded the Tour app for 59 pence on my i phone.
    Boonen, Divolder and Hausssssssssler all out

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    I've given up measuring bike rides in miles / feet. I'm now measuring them in miles / churches. Over the past few months I've noticed how many churches I seem to pass, so this morning I plotted a route to specifically go past as many as possible. The rules were that the route had to be mostly circular (The first 2 miles out and back don't count), and I didn't allow myself to back track once I'd visited a church - except where the church was up a dead-end. All religions qualify!

Todays ride was 27 miles and 13 churches, giving a ride score of 1:2.07. Although I did cheat as I saw a sign to a church that I hadn't plotted so cycled up to it and back. I reckon there are at least 3 more not far off the same route, so a 1:1.85 is possibly achievable. I even photographed them all... Maybe I should start a 'Todays Church' thread??

Piccies
    Route
    yes measuring by churches is good. Pubs sadly are declining too fast

Master and MR

Oh and a question for todays bike ride slinky ladies

WHY
    are the hairs on the lower part of my legs growing faster than the ones at the top.
    ?????????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    Had to visit meadowhall this morning but i took my rourky and cycled home. 64miles in a round about fashion
    Thought of ratfink as I passed over owler bar.
    The tour is but a moment away and Ive downloaded the Tour app for 59 pence on my i phone.
    Boonen, Divolder and Hausssssssssler all out
    where you going from daz? did you go up horsley gate rd? thats my hill when i ride that way home - i like it

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by ratfink View Post
    where you going from daz? did you go up horsley gate rd? thats my hill when i ride that way home - i like it
    I indeed know where you mean
    Ah I could of stopped for a cuppa then. Im always heading into the peak district but not to often on the sheffield side. Its a good hike from where I live.
    I used to get lifts off some of the transport drivers from work. They would drop me off at various places and I would ride home. It gives you something to aim for.
    Probably a bit like you riding home.
    I might get one of them to drop me off in London and then ride home. Maybe head up the A5

Master and MR

A good tip for those who are trying to get the miles per hour up is to tuck in. I see lots of riders with arms spread out whilst riding there roadbike. Its a difficult technique to master but i lay my arms on the bars imitating TT style but obviously no aero bars are there. It makes a fair difference. People comment on how they struggle to stop their underarms slipping on the bar tape.

Try rolling your sleeves up and a tip I learnt off a well known rider years ago was to tie a couple of elastic bands to the tops of the bars to stop the slipping.After a while it will become second nature.
    If you come off please dont blame me.

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    I indeed know where you mean
    Ah I could of stopped for a cuppa then. Im always heading into the peak district but not to often on the sheffield side. Its a good hike from where I live.
    I used to get lifts off some of the transport drivers from work. They would drop me off at various places and I would ride home. It gives you something to aim for.
    Probably a bit like you riding home.
    I might get one of them to drop me off in London and then ride home. Maybe head up the A5

once road from midlands to london on grand Union Canal - perhaps you could use the canal network to get back up to here if you got dropped off in london, could use your road bike, might need to change the tyres though

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial View Post
    once road from midlands to london on grand Union Canal - perhaps you could use the canal network to get back up to here if you got dropped off in london, could use your road bike, might need to change the tyres though
    yeah not a bad idea but its got to be road.
    well after the disaster of the football im looking forward more than ever to my fav sporting event of the year
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mdgLn5BFRQ
    like hot chip say. I give you laid back, just like the laidbackfellrunner.
    Roll on Le Tour.

Lets hope Wiggins has found that extra 1 per cent he needs.