Page 279 of 846 FirstFirst ... 179229269277278279280281289329379779 ... LastLast
Results 2,781 to 2,790 of 8460

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Re: Todays Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    When you climb do you change gears on the climb to make it easier or do you stay in the same gear from the bottom of the hill.
    Not sure I understand you Daz.

I obviously change gears, gradually reducing to the lowest gear I have to to get up the hill without blowing my legs. If it's very steep that means getting in a low gear quite quickly (quite often that's the lowest gear I've got) and I'll stay in that gear until it eases up. If it's long and steady climb I change gears more often (up and down gears according to variations in gradient).

I don't grind big gears (bad for my knees and bad for blowing my legs). That's why I got the MTB gearing put on to give me lower gears (I stupidly bought a bike with a compact chainring, which didn't give me low enough gears for the Dales).

I try and keep my cadfence as high as possible or else I blow my legs for the rest of the ride.

As a long term MTB'er I like to think I'm quite good at using my gears as much as possible.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Flopsy View Post
    Not sure I understand you Daz.

I obviously change gears, gradually reducing to the lowest gear I have to to get up the hill without blowing my legs. If it's very steep that means getting in a low gear quite quickly (quite often that's the lowest gear I've got) and I'll stay in that gear until it eases up. If it's long and steady climb I change gears more often (up and down gears according to variations in gradient).

I don't grind big gears (bad for my knees and bad for blowing my legs). That's why I got the MTB gearing put on to give me lower gears (I stupidly bought a bike with a compact chainring, which didn't give me low enough gears for the Dales).

I try and keep my cadfence as high as possible or else I blow my legs for the rest of the ride.

As a long term MTB'er I like to think I'm quite good at using my gears as much as possible.
    Try going in an easier gear on one of your regular climbs. Even 2 sprockets easier if you can. Get to a point up the climb whereby you can put it into the normal sprocket you use, then try a harder one say 3/4 up. You will certainly gain more than keep dropping down sprockets.
    I approach my climbs and normally just drop from the 53 to the 39 and dont normally change much on the smaller sprockets.

You sound quite experienced anyway Flopsy.
    Its strange how when you go quicker up a climb once you tend to be able to tell your mind that it can be done again.

He's been allowed a place then and not had to 'qualify' like the rest of the mere mortals?!!

http://ironman.com/columns/ironmanli...imon-whitfield

Quote Originally Posted by Rodders rambler View Post
    He's been quoted as saying he's doing the World Ironman Champs in Kona next year. He'll be in the 40-44 age cat.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by emmilou View Post
    He's been allowed a place then and not had to 'qualify' like the rest of the mere mortals?!!

http://ironman.com/columns/ironmanli...imon-whitfield
    Hes earn't his place simple as

T'other day I did what you recommended a while back.

I got my dad to get me some lengths of that pipe insulating foam from the Builder Merchants and covered the entire bike in it. I now nolonger need to worry about my pride and joy getting damaged.

Got any tips how to prevent your grandma forgetting to shut the garage door and leaving it open for the world to come and have a look and nick my bike? Shoot her?

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    T'other day I did what you recommended a while back.

I got my dad to get me some lengths of that pipe insulating foam from the Builder Merchants and covered the entire bike in it. I now nolonger need to worry about my pride and joy getting damaged.

Got any tips how to prevent your grandma forgetting to shut the garage door and leaving it open for the world to come and have a look and nick my bike? Shoot her?
    no dont shoot her because she is more precious than the bike( after all its only a ribble)
    chain it up and make sure you have good insurance.

Is it for sale yet AL

Master and MR

I think theres another make up there called Bolan or his he a singer. Theres a few pink ones knocking about I think

oh. righty oh

I think you'll find there's not a 'few' not as common as the regular sapphire blues you get everywhere

I think theres another make up there called Bolan or his he a singer. Theres a few pink ones knocking about I think

no dont shoot her because she is more precious than the bike( after all its only a ribble)
    chain it up and make sure you have good insurance.

Is it for sale yet AL
    Hahahaha.

Yeap thats the plan. Its quite a high garage so im planning on mounting an old bike/car rack high onto the wall and locking it to it.

For sale.....NEVER!

I out sprinted a car yesturday!

I nipped to borrow something off a mate and I decided to use the Ribble. I went the long way so I get to go down a long hill and get some quality speed up.
    I got to the brow of the hill just before a car did behind me....I whacked it through the gears and stood up and gave it everything and dropped this car. I looked back and I was pulling away all the time.

Then ofcourse once the hill levelled out my quads where completely trashed with having sedburgh still in my legs and the car passed me. It was fun whilst it lasted.

Dont worry, I wasnt cycling recklessly.
    Last edited by Al Fowler; 29-06-2010 at 12:32 PM.