Quote Originally Posted by Hanneke View Post
    Awwwww, poor little darling...

WIMP!!!
    At least i ran in the mud!
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice

Re: Todays Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    Zoot enjoy the chaingang tomorrow my friend.Could have done with some help tonight. It forcast gusts of 40 mph so must have been 60 mph on the tops. I just battled through serious gales on crich top, wirksworth top and alport heights. Managed about 47 miles in awful weather. No one else out. Good training mind. Last time i was out in wind like that i had a little helper convincing me it was a good idea.The wind was so strong tonight it was wrenching the bars from your hands.
    That's quite far enough in those conditions, eh.

I really do enjoy it daz, it's one of the the most exciting things I've ever done, riding fast in a group like that. Didn't know it was possible to sustain those speeds for that long.

Got thrown in at the deep end last Tuesday with the fast group - as there wasn't a steady group, just a slow group. I find the pace v challenging: I get dropped on the sprints and the hills. But that's only to be expected for the moment.

Managed to hang in there though til the end, no one really had to hang back for me. Similar on Saturday morning, so it looks like there's no going back now - fast group it is!

Master and MR

Theres nothing like it zoot. Its a few years since ive done it.Its funny but enjoy it when you get dropped. Its part of what will eventually make you stronger.If you want to get good at it remember a good chain gang rider is also a crafty rider. Bike riding is as much in your head as in your legs.Some chaingangs will delight in killing you off. Some around here are like that.I often get with the derby lads coming down the a6 and they take it in turn to try and drop you. I sometimes will wait until its my turn to go through but then push the rider in front and tell him im struggling, this of course will just be before a climb, haha then i go flat out.Its all part the fun.Keep us posted , nice to hear your stories.

Master and MR

Zoot what bike do you have.

No fair weather riding down here I can assure you. 3 hours out on Sunday first thing in the wind and rain and trying to avoid the leaf mulch all over the road on the wooded climbs we indulged in, bit of a hill bash really but had to be a bit careful coming down, bit slidey really! Then today snuk out for quick hours blast (20 miles)round the local lanes.. The riding continues, just on the Ridley. Bike filthy, please don't tell Daz, hoping for rain at the weekend to give it a bit of a clean....

Zoot what bike do you have.
    struggling along on a Spesh Allez Triple at the moment ... Am finding the gears limiting on club runs: i.e, I tend to lazily keep it in the big ring most of the time (there aren't many 'proper hills' on the club runs) but that gives me a lot fewer options than the big ring on a standard or compact would (I think?)...
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 19-10-2011 at 11:47 AM.

Theres nothing like it zoot. Its a few years since ive done it.Its funny but enjoy it when you get dropped. Its part of what will eventually make you stronger.If you want to get good at it remember a good chain gang rider is also a crafty rider. Bike riding is as much in your head as in your legs.Some chaingangs will delight in killing you off. Some around here are like that.I often get with the derby lads coming down the a6 and they take it in turn to try and drop you. I sometimes will wait until its my turn to go through but then push the rider in front and tell him im struggling, this of course will just be before a climb, haha then i go flat out.Its all part the fun.Keep us posted , nice to hear your stories.
    you're absolutely right there daz. Specially as a new rider... I got hung out to dry a couple of times last night: came through strongish a couple of times in the latter half of the run, led the line for a while, then bang!, they're round and off and 50 yards up the road before I can get out the saddle ... (Maybe my destiny is lead-out man ... )

But it's all a good lesson in not shredding your legs in the wind, and as you say, learning the craft and the tactics.

Exactly as you say, I'm trying to enjoy getting dropped and getting back! I don't know the sprint points properly either, but I don't think it'd make much difference at the moment...

They're good blokes though, they've been v welcoming and encouraging since I joined them...
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 19-10-2011 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toffer View Post
    No fair weather riding down here I can assure you. 3 hours out on Sunday first thing in the wind and rain and trying to avoid the leaf mulch all over the road on the wooded climbs we indulged in, bit of a hill bash really but had to be a bit careful coming down, bit slidey really! Then today snuk out for quick hours blast (20 miles)round the local lanes.. The riding continues, just on the Ridley. Bike filthy, please don't tell Daz, hoping for rain at the weekend to give it a bit of a clean....
    Same for me Sunday too - shade under 3 hours and more lumpy than intended although racing a couple of horses trotting up the hill on knackered legs wasn't exactly 'fun'
    Rollered monday, spinning last night and well, errr thought about riding today (swapped day off at work) but it's well err, pouring down and windy AGAIN. Although it'd clean the bike Toffer, right??

LAst day riding to work today. Got midwife tomorrow. Then driving in Friday to clear my desk a bit.

Yipes!

Oh, it is getting close Ratfink
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi