Page 500 of 848 FirstFirst ... 400450490498499500501502510550600 ... LastLast
Results 4,991 to 5,000 of 8473

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Master and MR

Re: Todays Bike Ride

Brilliant investment for your daughter.
    Personally not a great night on the bike for me last night. I got sideswiped by a small white van at slow speed. Had floro jacket on and two flashing front lights so not sure how he missed seeing me.
    I just managed to use instinct and flick the back end around ( endo style) which took most of the force out of it. Only a bent saddle and a broken rear light and some scuffing to the rear stays.
    Drivers words ( Didnt see you mate).
    Carried on to spin and took it steady. Ache a bit but live to fight another day.

If it had been someone inexperienced he would have run over the bike.
    So tonight I will have to true the wheel again.

Nice one Emm How old is she?
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Hanneke View Post
    Nice one Emm How old is she?
    9 although you'd think 19 :-O

Glad you're ok Darren.

Master and MR

A brisk 56 miles for me earlier. The peak district was a real tonic in the sun. The darkness had been getting to me these last few days and i needed that.My mercian descended like a dream down into beeley. The climbing is a bit harder as its slightly heavier but the steel soaks up the ride perfectly especially with the eurus wheels on it.Nice and dry ride and no belgian toothpaste.Average just under 19 mph. Arrived back in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    Brilliant investment for your daughter.
    Personally not a great night on the bike for me last night. I got sideswiped by a small white van at slow speed. Had floro jacket on and two flashing front lights so not sure how he missed seeing me.
    I just managed to use instinct and flick the back end around ( endo style) which took most of the force out of it. Only a bent saddle and a broken rear light and some scuffing to the rear stays.
    Drivers words ( Didnt see you mate).
    Carried on to spin and took it steady. Ache a bit but live to fight another day.

If it had been someone inexperienced he would have run over the bike.
    So tonight I will have to true the wheel again.
    Have come to realise that no matter how many lights, flouro jackets or flouro rucsac covers it's still bloody dangerous out there, especially finishing at 5pm when everyone's impatient to get home at top speed and don't give a sod for anyone else. Take care folks and glad no harm done daz.
    Hills and Guinness!

Master and MR

Yep you have to be extra careful after about 4 pm when all the car drivers are frantic to get home for tea and watch come dine with me.You really do see some classics.But modern bike lights help a lot. I still saw 2 x riders tonight without lights on.

Daz, I missed your post about your runin with a van Glad you are ok and the damage to the bike wasn't too awful either...

When I used to live in London I went everywhere on my bike, day and night... I had lights, reflective strips on the bike, but no hi-viz clothing and I was fine for 10 years. Quite a few near misses and scares, but usually got away with it by being vigilant and anticipate drivers stupid behaviour. Then, for some reason, I decided on wearing a hi-viz vest and in quick succesion I ended up being driven over by a white van and on the bonnet of a car :-O

I got away with bruising and shock and one written off bike, but two such accidents in one week...??? Needless to say, I gave up on the hi-viz jacket and never wore it again on the bike. The van driver just swore at me and drove off, the car driver was very apologetic and said he'd got mesmerised by my highly visible apearance and pulled out in front of me, not knowing why he did that :-O

I reckon being too visible is not good, as it does mesmerise people and we all know what happens when you look at something... you tend to drive/ride into it!!!

Glad you are ok though daz!! xx

Needless to say, I don't feel comfortable at all going out in the dark, especially not around us...
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Master and MR

I dont tend to worry much to be honest. Ive always thought roadies that can ride at a fair pace tend to be safer than your average cyclist that goes along steady around town etc. I feel more vunerable when im going slow like in town or traffic etc.My dad who has driven more miles than anyone i know always says to me that the first few weeks when the clocks alter and the nights draw in is the time when you get more rta,s than any other time.I think he is correct.

I think I'm an OK rider but I still ride pretty conservatively in central London at night rush hour. It's not just the usual traffic you get up north, you've got commuter-scooters, pedestrians stepping out all over, increasing numbers of clueless cyclists all over the place and of course sh * tloads of buses. And just no room at all. It's like a PlayStation game and if you're doing 20mph then you're asking for it really, IMO.

It's amazing how much less you get cut-up / pulled-out on / bullied by cars etc in a chaingang - your road-presence is so much greater.

You can even boss the road a bit, which makes a pleasant change.

I actually cycled today for the first time in months. 12 miles - some off road. It was part of a charity triathlon that my 11 year old mate was doing for Children in Need. He swam half a mile, ran 3 miles and then the bike ride. I did the run and the bilke - can't be arsed with swimming!

You can sponsor him here if you really want to...

http://www.justgiving.com/Claire-Leadbeater

Maybe some of the cash he raises will go to the school that Emmilou's son goes to??

Here's where we went...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/129548362
    Last edited by dominion; 19-11-2011 at 01:52 PM.