Page 561 of 847 FirstFirst ... 61461511551559560561562563571611661 ... LastLast
Results 5,601 to 5,610 of 8464

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Re: Todays Bike Ride

I am getting fedup with cycling It seems to have taken over my life, and not for the good... It is affecting things badly

Getting tired of the pressure of the training load in order to be remotely good at racing, but not racing doesn't work either, as Sundays strenuous mountain bike marathon proved to me. I don't like riding around hills with 900 other people for no reason other than to ride around... I rather make up my own route and go out on my own or race or train in stead...
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Hanneke View Post
    I am getting fedup with cycling It seems to have taken over my life, and not for the good... It is affecting things badly

Getting tired of the pressure of the training load in order to be remotely good at racing, but not racing doesn't work either, as Sundays strenuous mountain bike marathon proved to me. I don't like riding around hills with 900 other people for no reason other than to ride around... I rather make up my own route and go out on my own or race or train in stead...
    Hanneke, this is a frame of mind that is familiar to me (though not at this moment). I think cycling can be a very 'up-and-down' sport emotionally.
    At the amateur racing level I think it is more demanding than running and certainly more dangerous. And more time-consuming.
    A couple of 'offs' or a bit of overtraining or a really bad ride where the legs just aren't there, or a combination of all three, can really dent one's motivation - more so than running I think, cos it's harder to find an excuse not to go out for a run.
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 10-04-2012 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    crash a wedding at the Inn?
    Not quite. Called in on someone I know at the crossroads and the champagne was flowing so thought it would be rude not to!

True Zoot, true... I have only ever crashed 3x once in a pothole and twice in a women's national team series race, due to bad bikehandling and girls going down right in front of me... It is the amount of time effort and dedication it takes to get to and stay at racing fitness that is getting at me. It seems to be to the detriment of other things in life... I work very long hours and things have gotten a bit too stressful to my liking Thing is, If I took a break for a few months, I'd never get back to fitness as it took me months of hard graft to get where I am now, so not easy... Think I will call coach Russ tonight for a pep talk...

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    Hanneke, this is a frame of mind that is familiar to me (though not at this moment). I think cycling can be a very 'up-and-down' sport emotionally.
    At the amateur racing level I think it is more demanding than running and certainly more dangerous. And more time-consuming.
    A couple of 'offs' or a bit of overtraining or a really bad ride where the legs just aren't there, or a combination of all three, can really dent one's motivation - more so than running I think, cos it's harder to find an excuse not to go out for a run.

True Zoot, true... I have only ever crashed 3x once in a pothole and twice in a women's national team series race, due to bad bikehandling and girls going down right in front of me... It is the amount of time effort and dedication it takes to get to and stay at racing fitness that is getting at me. It seems to be to the detriment of other things in life... I work very long hours and things have gotten a bit too stressful to my liking Thing is, If I took a break for a few months, I'd never get back to fitness as it took me months of hard graft to get where I am now, so not easy... Think I will call coach Russ tonight for a pep talk...
    Yep, it's especially tough over the winter when getting out after work is difficult. Living in the city getting out after work is hard even in the summer!
    So you end up inside on a turbo or a spin bike and it all starts to seem less fun than running, where you can pull on your shoes and get out whenever, wherever...
    You have to love cycling more to cycle seriously than you have to love running to run seriously.

Yep. At least I live in brilliant cycling country... But on top of all the actual training, there is the extr pressure of time and stress to keep bikes at raceworthy condition... I seem to spend forever stressing about bikes, kit and training/racing...

Yep. At least I live in brilliant cycling country... But on top of all the actual training, there is the extr pressure of time and stress to keep bikes at raceworthy condition... I seem to spend forever stressing about bikes, kit and training/racing...
    I'm not surprised, you seem to do quite a lot, in terms of several different cycling disciplines.
    I find it hard enough just road cycling - takes me all my time to change my winter tyres over to summer ones ...
    Maybe that's the answer, to focus on just one or two?
    Would make training, kit and maintenance more manageable.

That was pretty much the conclusion when I did the Merida ride at Builth Wells. Perfectly nice route, perfectly organised, just couldn't be bothered with everyone else around me. Head up to Machynlleth and ride the Mach trails. I did the longest one in February a couple of years ago and didn't see another soul all day. Perfect! :thumbup:

There's a nice little bunk house up the road in Corris as well with more trails close by.

You just need a new bike??

That might just be the solution Dom

Or go on that Jacob's Ladder ride again, that is cracking, would love to do it on a MTB one day...

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    You just need a new bike??