Page 565 of 848 FirstFirst ... 65465515555563564565566567575615665 ... LastLast
Results 5,641 to 5,650 of 8480

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Re: Todays Bike Ride

Hann - good race!

Stagger - welcome back

Zoot - did you get some tan lines?

I went to france for 2 weeks with hubby and bambino in the camper - spent some long weekends in font climbing (just south of paris) - then went down to buis les baronnies where the chap climbed and i got to do some cols :-D - worked up to a 60 mile ride including a cat 1 climb! (col de perty) - wanted to have a bash at the ventoux but it was snowy and closed. weather was quite cool in france (especially on the higher cols) but at least it was dry in the main (so no working on tan lines for me - full length bibs).

back home managed a few 20 milers - but harder to fit in what with biblical rain and husband at work. but in line with the thread title and all - today's bike ride was 20 miles round under stanage in 1:32 (which is pretty good as was quite breezy)

Hanneke - yes I lay in my hotel bed watching the BBC News weather reports with some degree of smugness.
    Ratfink - not outrageous tan-lines, there were only two really warm sunny days.

Never seen so many cyclists in one place in my life as in Port de Pollensa....

Sounds like you had a great time too Ratfink!

Zoot, indeed, Porta Pollensa is full of cyclists. Did you stay in that crappy hotel Pollensa Park? Been there twice, never again... But I love Mallorca, its great for cycling!

I went out in the pooring rain last night. The disadvantage of mountain biking is that crap weather isn't an excuse NOT to go out!

Could not get out in the car to join my mates for a ride, as the road was flooded, again, so went up onto Hatterall Ridge on my own. I had a MTB to try, with 1x9 gearing on, as I am intent on changing the Kona to that. The gearing was fine, the bike very heavy and stable, but not exactly forewards going!!! Maybe I am used to race whippets after all

Foggy on the top, so I nearly ran into a pony, head on. He/she was as startled as I was

My steep downhill singletrack had changed into a waterfall, which made things interesting, as well as the fact that the river had burst its banks on the way home, so had to ride through that as well!!! Nearly lost my front wheel on mud and leafmould on the road as well, rather ironic, as I had just ridden through some pretty wet and techy stuff unscathed! Although I almost came over the bars when the front wheel got stuck axle deep into quicksand :w00t:

Hosed the bike down at work on the way back home. This is the bf's bike, so best keep it clean I seem to spend more time cleaning bikes and washing kt than actually riding these days!
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Hanneke View Post
    Zoot, indeed, Porta Pollensa is full of cyclists. Did you stay in that crappy hotel Pollensa Park? Been there twice, never again... But I love Mallorca, its great for cycling!
    Yes indeed, spot on. And yes you're right, it's not great is it. Didn't have much choice as it was part of the package.
    Pretty cheap though: seven nights half board, daily rides and airport transfers for about £350.
    But the group was too big for my liking: I expected there to be two or three groups going out according to ability, but he was a bit of a one-man band (well, three to be precise). So we ended up en masse.
    He knew his roads though I'll give him that - and riding in a big group with lots of twitchy riders certainly teaches you something....
    But next time I'll go with a group of mates, book our own accommodation etc. Or go for an outfit that takes out smaller groups.

Were you with a bloke called Stuart Hall by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    Yes indeed, spot on. And yes you're right, it's not great is it. Didn't have much choice as it was part of the package.
    Pretty cheap though: seven nights half board, daily rides and airport transfers for about £350.
    But the group was too big for my liking: I expected there to be two or three groups going out according to ability, but he was a bit of a one-man band (well, three to be precise). So we ended up en masse.
    He knew his roads though I'll give him that - and riding in a big group with lots of twitchy riders certainly teaches you something....
    But next time I'll go with a group of mates, book our own accommodation etc. Or go for an outfit that takes out smaller groups.

Were you with a bloke called Stuart Hall by any chance?
    haha, yes! have you been with him then? (Purely in the cycling sense ....)

yes, my first 'training camp' in Mallorca... wasn't impressed, so went with someone else the year after who took a smaller group, maximum 12, and split it up in two according to ability most of the time... He used that same hotel LOL

This year I went with 5 friends to Andalucia, self catering, was brilliant! Much better and even cheaper.

haha, yes! have you been with him then? (Purely in the cycling sense ....)
    Last edited by Hanneke; 02-05-2012 at 05:17 PM.

yes, my first 'training camp' in Mallorca... wasn't impressed, so went with someone else the year after... who also used that same hotel LOL
    who did you go with next time?

A guy called Steve Jones. He was excellent! Ex pro, proper professional coach, checked with all riders every day how they were feeling, what the should be doing etc etc... felt well looked after! I would recommend him. Would have gine with him again, regardless of not particularly liking the hotel, if it wasn't for getting together with some mates to go elsewhere.

who did you go with next time?

A guy called Steve Jones. He was excellent! Ex pro, proper professional coach, checked with all riders every day how they were feeling, what the should be doing etc etc... felt well looked after! I would recommend him. Would have gine with him again, regardless of not particularly liking the hotel, if it wasn't for getting together with some mates to go elsewhere.
    great thanks Hann.