Page 591 of 846 FirstFirst ... 91491541581589590591592593601641691 ... LastLast
Results 5,901 to 5,910 of 8460

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Re: Todays Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smith View Post
    PLanning a 100k ride with 2000m climbing tomorrow over various passes in north east wales, starting at home (near wrexham). Quite nervous as i;ve never cycled as far with as much climbing before. Feels like the night before my first ever Borrowdale race. Got the whole day and will be heading off early. A real test for me in my new guise as a would be cyclist. Will post some pics tomorrow as it looks like a stunning route (Llangollen, Worlds End, Ceiriog, the Shelf, Bwlch Penbarras). I;d be happy with anything under 6 hours in truth - esp if i dont get lost.
    spin it up the early climbs to save your legs - don't try and force any gear bigger than you need to - and don't push a big gear on the flats either! You might feel like you are coasting initially, but you'll be glad of it in the last 20km.

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    spin it up the early climbs to save your legs - don't try and force any gear bigger than you need to - and don't push a big gear on the flats either! You might feel like you are coasting initially, but you'll be glad of it in the last 20km.
    Absolutely. Don't worry about time constraints; just enjoy being out there, clocking up the miles at a sustainable ( & enjoyable ) pace. Speed and "records" can wait for a bit yet.
    Our Thursday CTC group usually manage about 60 miles ( it has varied from 59 to 74 on the runs that I've managed this summer ) but we are usually out for around 8 hours with a couple of (protracted) cafe stops.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Thanks for the tips - i wish i'd have read them before i went! Alas, photos were beyond me but it was lovely out there.

I managed 113km, 1600m climbing in 5 and bit hours (plus a couple of stops) and it killed me. Averaged 22.5km/h. I left out one of the climbs and did more on a flatter section atthe end to get some distance as the climb from Llangollen to Ceriog was brutal and pothole ridden - 13% and just hellish. I got to the steepest section on a bend and had no more power (having already been over worlds end, another hard climb) and keeled sidewards into the verge, still clipped in. Comedy moment for sure! I got back on and held on, but by god it was a tough day. Feel glad to have done it, and the headwind at the end was cruel.

LOngest ride i've ever done - feeling ok about the 120km shropshire audax i'm doing later this month, my first

Back to work, so 20km each way, 500m climbing 'm total. Got a KOM on strava and a second place so that's the overcompetitive bit done for the week!

More importantly, beautiful sunny day so topped up the cut off tan lines

Ps well done Mark, sounds a cracking ride!

I've started playing around in strava. It's addictive eh?

I have refrained from Strava... I like to leave my competitiveness for my racing
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Hanneke View Post
    I have refrained from Strava... I like to leave my competitiveness for my racing
    For newbies who don't have the confidence or desire to race it's a great way of exploring good places to rise and charting your progress. I like it. I can imagine it getting a little dangerous though.

Some of my cycling friends have become quite addicted! One went out the other day with aero carbon race wheels and a skin suit on, just to get a KOM or fastest on a segment or something Quite funny I can see how it could be an incentive. Funnily enough, I am not at all competitive with myself, only with others... so for me it would not work, as the people you compare youself with are not with you ate the time of riding...

Just decided to not go out for my planned ride, even though I am readily dressed. Still tired after my 12 hr and think it best to pack tonight for my trip non Friday and ride tomorrow eve in stead

Beer and chips are required though, carbo loading for Sundays race

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smith View Post
    For newbies who don't have the confidence or desire to race it's a great way of exploring good places to rise and charting your progress. I like it. I can imagine it getting a little dangerous though.

26miles and 714 feet @ 19mph ave, dodging tractors and combines as they rush to get the harvest in, windy tonight.

Yes, very windy tonight. So windy, I decided not to ride back over the top of Haterall Ridge but try a new bridleway in stead... was ace, but very overgornw in places so now I have seriously nettled and thistled legs and I had to push and drag the bike through man high bracken :-O

Once the bracken has died down and I have cut a few low branches off with secateaurs this will be an ace bit of trail though