Page 624 of 846 FirstFirst ... 124524574614622623624625626634674724 ... LastLast
Results 6,231 to 6,240 of 8460

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post

Cool retro bike alert...dribbling on my keyboard...Dura Ace 7400, Columbus.

The guy's selling the wheels on ebay, oddly split them from the bike and sold it separate.
    I stand to be corrected; I seem to remember reading somewhere that Simoncini were at one time involved with Guerciotti - the Italian brand that Planet-X are currently importing.

I guess that modern efficiency is very desirable; but the retro cool is somewhat let down by the dual-pivot brakes & sti shifters.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 16-05-2014 at 09:38 PM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Radio 4 Book of the Week this week is Tim Moore's "Gironimo! Riding the Very Terrible 1914 Tour of Italy"

Get it on iPlayer while you can,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006...guide#b04442bq

Cheers for that Dom
    pies

25 miles. First one for a while...if you discount my french holiday! Round the back of Kirkby Lonsdale, over to Brabon...up the steep hill onto Dent road. Bridleway back to Brabon, then back to Kirkby Lonsdale.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Tomorrow's bike ride for me the Etape du Dales. Hope I'm ready

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    I stand to be corrected; I seem to remember reading somewhere that Simoncini were at one time involved with Guerciotti - the Italian brand that Planet-X are currently importing.

I guess that modern efficiency is very desirable; but the retro cool is somewhat let down by the dual-pivot brakes & sti shifters.
    I ride 7400 on the Raleigh, it's a joy to work with, levers are ergonomic and the dual pivot calipers are just as sharp as the Shimano hydraulics on my MTB. The brakes on the Alan are Campy GS cantis and you really need to be on the drop handle part of the bar to stop anything but leisurely. 7400 is probably the best of both cool and efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Sorry Mr B, never had cassettes from the era of the 6207.

My freewheel experience jumps straight from 5 / 6 speed screw-on blocks to 7 speed cassettes of the "splined Park Tool" era.

What years are we talking of for the two cassettes that you mention? I know an ex pro-team mechanic who might have the answer.

NB, I think that some of the terminology that you use is a little confusing

Both my 1999 STX-RC hubs and my 2010 Ultegra 6700 hubs use:-

1. A splined, circular (Park) tool to remove the cassette from the freehub body (freewheel).

2. An hex allen key ( think it's 10mm ) to remove the freehub body (freewheel) from the actual hub - to do that you need to remove the non-drive side cone from the axle, withdraw the axle (from the drive side) and recover the loose ball-bearings first.
    The bearing surface ( for the drive side hub bearings ) is incorporated into the permanently rotating inner element of the freehub body.

Had to do the latter on the STX hubs, 12 months ago when the bearings between the two elements of the freehub body went shot, transferring an unacceptable amount of "float" into the cassette.

Ian.
    Don't really know what year the 6207 i have on is TBH, but it's listed on velobase as 1984-87. It's a Campy Record hub and it's a 1983 bike. The cassette is removed by unscrewing the last cog off the freewheel, and the freewheel comes off with some sort of non-splined tool. This is the sort...

The two little pinholes 180 degrees apart are, i think, for maintenance of the freewheel internals, and the whole lot comes off using a tool in the square tabs.

It's difficult to get hold of one of these on ebay with the right numbers of teeth, i need 13-24 preferably with a freewheel and it needs to be new old stock. The LBS reckoned there was quite a bit of freeplay in the freewheel and the cassette teeth are a bit worn and currently running on a new chain. So-old cassette/new chain= bad mix.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Wow, that Velobase is a bit of a goldmine. Interestingly it says my freewheel is ISO threading, so assuming my Campy hub is Italian threading someone might have bodged it a bit.

3 hours or so at Glentress today, it was sort of near the airport which I had to be at for 5pm.

Sort of.

Much fun was had.
    pies

19m/2000', Storiths-Burnsall-Grassington-Hebden-Appletreewick-Storiths, pint of Wharfedale Blonde in The Fountaine Inn in Linton. Decided to change tactics after 2 bad rides with knee problems, less miles in one go and less climb. I'm trying to add in a cycle to work midweek to see if that changes my response to longer weekend rides. This has previously fallen flat on its ar$e but we'll see. Pulled up at the pub absolutely plastered in little flies having ridden through a huge swarm at the back of Kail Hill.

How long do you want to be out for today? He asked... about 4-5 hours, she said... 7.5 hours later... 6 hrs 40 minutes riding time, 130 kms covered, about half on bridleways, i.e. off road, half road, only 1400 metres of climbing and his new cross bike well and truely christened and me totally knackered! This was my longest ride since the Salzkammergut Trophy disaster last July, after which I went rapidly downhill with this ruddy Lyme disease. Still not shed it, but slowly getting some muscle strength and endurance back. Still aching like b*ggery though grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi