Page 657 of 846 FirstFirst ... 157557607647655656657658659667707757 ... LastLast
Results 6,561 to 6,570 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Been out very little the last couple of months - sort of one short ride a week to town and little else - so today in the rain and drizzle murk I went up into some local forestry and managed a total of about 23 miles and 2600ft of ascent all together, a bit knackered!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Only found out today that my uncle who passed away a week ago, raced in the Milk Race in the early 60’s... I never even knew he was a cyclist!

I don’t know the exact year but we suspect somewhere between 1961 and 1965... all we have is a black and white photo with no dates on... I’ve tried searching archives online but they are very much incomplete for that era...

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Only found out today that my uncle who passed away a week ago, raced in the Milk Race in the early 60’s... I never even knew he was a cyclist!

I don’t know the exact year but we suspect somewhere between 1961 and 1965... all we have is a black and white photo with no dates on... I’ve tried searching archives online but they are very much incomplete for that era...
    Hi Travs, you’ve probably already tried this but is there nothing in cyclingarchives.com?

That’s the website I’ve tried.... the archives for that era are a mixed bag in terms of completion... I tried to search the name, which confirmed he didn’t appear on there...

Thanks for the suggestion though...

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    That’s the website I’ve tried.... the archives for that era are a mixed bag in terms of completion... I tried to search the name, which confirmed he didn’t appear on there...

Thanks for the suggestion though...
    No worries, some of the guys then did great things in all types of sports, lots of it now sadly lost in the mists of time due to no internet, although had there been an internet they probably wouldn’t have done what they did.... different times

Perhaps worth an email to any local cycle clubs in his area, I’m sure some old stager will have details somewhere.
    Last edited by Daletownrunner; 07-10-2019 at 06:18 PM.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I hate November! Is there really anything to commend it?
    Today's cycle commute was a very wet and windy one, not helped by all of the leaves that are now blocking drains and causing standing water everywhere. Then the inevitable decision of ploughing headlong into said puddle or try to avoid by pulling out in front of some vehicle that probably hasn't seen you in the dark even though your decked out brighter than most Christmas trees.

On a positive note, I managed to get out on the road bike for the first time in ages on Sunday in the Shropshire/Wales borders on the way back from Wales. A beautiful clear day with fantastic views to the snow-capped Welsh hills. I had planned to do Long Mountain by 3 different ascents but after the last 400m of the first one had been blocked by sheet ice (and therefore at least 2 descents would share the same problem), I baled out when reaching the top and did a loop of the Breidden hills instead. Some great riding out that way - must get out there more often...
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Master
    I love November and all the challenges it throws up, it means I have the oppurtunity to hone and refresh my skills. My Ice axe, crampons/Kattoola spikes and thermals are all ready, winter tyres on my bike, Winter Sleeping Bag In The CamperVan and camping gear fully winterised WINTER BRING IT ON
    Last edited by JohnK; 14-11-2019 at 08:51 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    I hate November! Is there really anything to commend it?
    Today's cycle commute was a very wet and windy one, not helped by all of the leaves that are now blocking drains and causing standing water everywhere. Then the inevitable decision of ploughing headlong into said puddle or try to avoid by pulling out in front of some vehicle that probably hasn't seen you in the dark even though your decked out brighter than most Christmas trees.
    I don't mind the weather in November; I've got very used to cycling with a full set of waterproofs on in recent weeks! It's the darkness early in the afternoon that many of us find depressing.

I often wonder whether this is why there are so many "events" crammed together at this time of year. Within three weeks we have, in quick succession: Halloween, Guy Fawkes night, my stepmother's birthday, Remembrance Sunday, Loughborough Fair, and Children in Need - oh, and Diwali should be somewhere in there.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

You are probably lucky enough to have a later start in the morning than me. Unfortunately I work from 7.30 so my morning commute has been largely in the dark for a few weeks already (apart from a brief respite when the clocks went back.) Afternoon is now also dark so other than the odd weekend ride I now have the prospect of 2-3 months of dark, cold and potentially wet riding to look forward to 4 days a week. I don't relish it but there is some positives in that at least you get the benefit of all that cross training and a smugness only derived from flying past queues of stationary cars!

Of course all the events are usually accompanied by fireworks which when you are the owner of a rather sensitive collie, take on a whole different aspect. Evening dog walks will now also be off the cards until at least the middle of January.