Page 664 of 846 FirstFirst ... 164564614654662663664665666674714764 ... LastLast
Results 6,631 to 6,640 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I am surprised that a man of your vintage is not operating in miles though!
    I'm a good bit older than Stagger (born in the fifties), but have used kilometres and metres for years. Your OS maps must be very old if they still use miles and feet!

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    I'm a good bit older than Stagger (born in the fifties), but have used kilometres and metres for years. Your OS maps must be very old if they still use miles and feet!
    HaHa. Yes, I have lots, most of them in the attic, but I do use the Mid Wales ones now and again.

The largest number of OS maps I have are the series where the contours on the map are every 50 feet but the heights are shown in metres. Spot heights also in metres. Having regularly used the latest OS maps for many years it can be confusing using the older series as the numbers on the contours don't follow a pattern.

Although I always use feet and miles for planning and recording running, walking and cycling activities I do confess that when navigating and pacing on the hills I do work to 12 min per kilometer but its still an hour for every 1,000feet of ascent!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

When I use a map I work it out in km... Just easier due to gridlines.

But I then mentally convert to miles.

Record everything in miles and feet.

Bumped into Nick Craig on yesterday evening's bike ride. I even managed to keep up with him for... ok, I kept him in view for a couple of minutes!

However, it was nice to see golfers out on New Mills golf course again.

Waited again today for the crowds to go home and went out on a glorious evening ride to the Goyt Valley. 36 miles, 3,500ft in 2hrs20. Hare,Lapwing, Curlew seen but only 2 cyclists. Fantastic views of Chrome Hill on the way back in the evening sun.

A late afternoon bike ride with my son of 15 miles and 1,200 feet. The ride included the mile long Horse Lane near Monyash which has just been resurfaced and is as smooth as a babies bottom. It was so badly potholed prior to the resurfacing that Strava put a warning on the segment and would not show the full leader boards to discourage riders which it feared might come a cropper!
    It appears to have been lifted already.
    Whilst on cycling, I treated myself in March to a new Garmin for my bike. My previous one, Edge 520 was getting a bit ropey and I was struggling to read the screen. I was recommended the Edge 130 which is half the size of the 520 but amazingly a lot clearer even though the numbers are smaller! It also does a lot less, ie no maps, but I never used that anyway.
    I picked it up for £99 on Wiggle including HR Chest Strap. So if anyone is looking for a new device that does the basics excellently, look no further.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    65km of North Worcestershire exploring a few lanes I hadn't done in a while out to Rushock and back. Didn't feel in the mood for one of my usual hill focused rides but such is the nature of this area, I notched up just over 1000m of climb anywa. One of those days where I didn't really feel up to much, thought I'd taken it easy but the stats show otherwise with a few PRs on some Strava segments. Lots of other cyclists out enjoying what was pretty much a perfect day for it.

A morning ride of 70 miles and 6'700 feet in 4hrs 45min out to Peak Forest, Chapel, Kettleshulme, Goyt Valley and along the Morridge to Onecote and home via Hartington and Flagg. Today was the busiest I have seen the roads for cyclists and motor cyclists since last summer.

Very hot and surprisingly breezy,mainly headwind, on the tops. Lots of cafes open and most with queues outside. I used none of them but did stop at Parsley Hay to refill my water bottles and stick my head under the, very cold, outside tap!

Went out at 0900 this morning for a ride in the hope of beating the rain. 25 miles and 2,150 feet in 1hr 35 out to Chelmorton from where I could see rain approaching over the Cat and Fiddle. I changed direction and braved the A6 down through Bakewell and back home via Youlgreave where the rain caught me up.

I'd forgotten how moist and cold one can get whilst cycling for 15 minutes in light rain!

On the gravel bike and a mix of road and off road, 30 miles with 3500ft. My longest so far and felt ok, pleased with that, it's the long off road hills that sap the energy from my legs but becoming stronger.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.