Page 672 of 787 FirstFirst ... 172572622662670671672673674682722772 ... LastLast
Results 6,711 to 6,720 of 7864

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

13.4 km, with 81 metres of climbing, to the Tame Valley and back. Sunny, but cool with an unusual Northerly wind

Would have been longer, but spent an hour taking the short cranks off and putting on standard (170mm) ones. Plus swapping the pedals for clip in ones and lowering the saddle 20mm.

The fact I was able to ride the bike successfully with longer cranks and a lower saddle is proof that I can now bend my hip to 90 degrees. Post operation it went to 80 degrees easily, but since then I am having to do plenty of physio exercises to fight for every further degree.

My longest ride yesterday, usual mix of tarmac and forestry, 41 miles with 5100ft ascent. Managed a 100+mile week so pleased but legs a little stiff!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

23.2km and around 105 Metres in pleasant, but slightly windy, weather here in SE Staffordshire.

Over the flatlands to the National Memorial Arboretum at Alrewas and then over the River Tame and then more flatlands.

Leg feeling stronger
    No e bikes to have fun with
    For the first time in 11 years I was able to reach (just), with very straight arms, the bottom of my 'bars

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    About 36 miles, out to the West beyond Ashby-de-la-Zouch, so I had a tailwind coming back. Stopped for a short walk in Willesley Wood, which I had helped to plant about 30 years ago.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

40.5km into the Tame Valley, the Mease valley (and a visit to Clifton Campville) and the Trent Valley.

Longer than I'd planned, but the weather was good; lovely hot sun with a strong wind

Due to persistent hamstring problems I have decided to stop running for a month, so back on the bike.

My first road ride since June was 30 miles and 2'800 feet in 2hr 4min.

A lovely ride on a glorious day, out to Youlgreave, Mill Dale and Wetton returning via Hartington and Monyash.

I'd almost forgotten that cycling is nearly as enjoyable as running!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    40.5km into the Tame Valley, the Mease valley (and a visit to Clifton Campville) and the Trent Valley.

Longer than I'd planned, but the weather was good; lovely hot sun with a strong wind
    With your distances increasing like this, there's a danger our paths may cross some time soon. The easternmost point of your ride is only about 6 miles from the westernmost point of my last ride.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    With your distances increasing like this, there's a danger our paths may cross some time soon. The easternmost point of your ride is only about 6 miles from the westernmost point of my last ride.
    Yes, I'd realised we might actually meet at some point too! It's 40 years since I last cycled to Willesley Wood, but I am hoping to rectify that. The Mease Valley looks the likely point for our paths to cross, so somewhere between Netherseal and Measham I'd guess.

Only 17km and 137 Metres of ascent. Very sunny, very hot, and, (strangely), very windy

Overtook one e-bike in Tamworth

Master
    About 38 miles, out to the East (which meant that I had a headwind on the way home, but it didn't seem to be holding me back significantly until the last 6 miles or so). Got some tingling in my toes, which became somewhat painful for the last hour; no idea what was causing that.

Some interesting sights on the way. A dozen men in army fatigues walking along the road, together with three ponies carrying some of the kit. The British Army is still using horse power in the 21st Century.

Had a look round the church and churchyard at Old Dalby. Discovered the grave of Edward Purdey from 1743, on which was engraved a diatribe against the woman who had murdered him over a small debt. The story was revealed with a bit of googling when I got home: apparently he had been a halfpenny short of the price of the beer he had drunk at a local hostelry, and the landlady set her dog on him, which inflicted lethal injuries. A salutary lesson, although obviously no-one on this forum would dream of entering a pub without enough cash to pay for their drinks.
    Jorge Luis Borges