Page 675 of 846 FirstFirst ... 175575625665673674675676677685725775 ... LastLast
Results 6,741 to 6,750 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

A cold and windy ride this morning of 42 miles and 4'250 feet in 3hrs 2 min. Down into Great Longstone and up Longstone Edge over to Foolow and Eyam. Up to the Barrel and down to Great Hucklow before a drag to Peak Forest and on to Peak Dale, Doveholes ( famous a few years ago for being the worst place to live in Britain according to The Sun) and Buxton.
    Up through Harpur Hill, Earl Sterndale and Parsley Hay before a run down into Monyash and then home.

A few cyclists about but no where near as many as on previous Saturdays. The sensible ones stayed in and avoided the bitterly cold wind.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    A 40km ride today around the Black Country and Birmingham canal network and then on to a couple of off-road cycle routes so only 4-5km on the road in all.
    Sunny but a very chilly start into a stiff North wind. Still in shorts but the first outing of the long gloves and toe covers this end of the year. Managed to hold off an e-bike on the last section of Birmingham-Worcester canal - quite pleased with that as I was on my Genesis croix de fer.

Another 50 mile/3600 ft trip to Malham Tarn - at the top of the interesting hill. That’s 142 miles in 6 days - Covid 19 is exhausting me! This time I wore my St-Raphaël - Quinquina - Géminiani top in striking Crimson-Black-Pale Blue: which prompted one cry of admiration as I paused at traffic lights.

Raphaël Géminiani (now 95) had six Grand Tour podium finishes and then founded his own cycling team (when you could do that without needing £30 million a year). It was he who shared a room with Fausto Coppi on a cycling/ hunting trip to Burkina Faso (then Upper Volta) in 1959 in which they were badly bitten by mosquitos. Géminiani was treated for malaria on his return to Paris but Coppi’s Italian doctors refused to accept he had malaria – and Coppi, Il Campionissimo, and possibly the most gifted cyclist of all time (7 Grand Tours with the intervening war years spent in a British POW camp) was dead at 40.

Merckx won a lot of races but as a rider he was a bit of a brute, whereas Coppi was and still is revered.

Anyay nice day out under a beautiful blue Yorkshire sky, and no e-bikes approached so I could keep my elbows tucked in.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    About 34 miles, going north so that I could have a tailwind on the way home. A fair amount of bridleway riding, including the path below Clifton Woods. Amazing that you be in this rural paradise, with the woods on the steep slope on one side and the river Trent on the other, within 4 miles of the centre of Nottingham. Very few hills on today's route: never went above the 100m contour, although on the climb up the stony track to Cottagers Hill (97m), the combination of gradient and loose surface defeated my attempt to stay mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    This time I wore my St-Raphaël - Quinquina - Géminiani top in striking Crimson-Black-Pale Blue: which prompted one cry of admiration as I paused at traffic lights.
    I wore a very old white sweatshirt advertising a charity I support. No cries of admiration, but sadly I have got used to that.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Still not running so trying to keep the fitness up on the bike. Today 52 miles and 4,400 feet in 3hr 24 min on a cool but less windy day.
    A loop out to Taddington, Harpur Hill and then up Axe Edge to Flash where I was disappointed that the worlds best Cornflake Cake was not available in Flash Bar Stores/Cafe.
    Down into the top of the Dane valley then up to the Winking Man and along to the Mermaid before the descent to Newtown, Warslow and Hulme End.
    Up through Hartington to Parsley Hay before dropping down to Flagg, Monyash and home.

An enjoyable ride on mainly traffic free roads apart from the A53. Not many cyclists about other than at Parsley Hay where it was snided with folk on the High Peak trail.

Quite a few Kestrels and Buzzards taking advantage of the lighter winds

After meeting a friend yesterday evening and imbibing too many Bosley Clouds I went out on a punishment ride in the rain at lunchtime today.
    Only 22 miles and 1'500 feet in what felt like a slow 1hr 40 min. Down into Youlgrave and up to Friden where I picked up the High Peak Trail to its northern end at Dowlow. The 4 cyclists having a coffee at Parsley Hay were the only ones I saw all ride.
    From Dowlow a couple of miles on the Pennine Bridleway before dropping into Monyash and then home.

It was very windy but fortunately it was not as wet as forecast but enough moisture to get a wet arse, mainly from being mudguard less.

This afternoon I had to drop the wife into Sheffield to meet friends so I took the opportunity of my first outing to a city for months to drop into Evans Cycles for some mudguards for my Evans own brand Pinnacle Arkose 3.

I've had this Gravel/Trail/Adventure/Cross/Hybrid Heinz 57 for 6 years and it has been great value as an all rounder, my only disappointment with it being when it kept throwing me over the handlebars during the one and only Cross race I did on it!

So the next rainy day task will be a couple of hours faffing around trying to fit my Bontrager Friendly Fenders!
    They WILL fit as I have no wish to make a return visit to the city of Sheffield, or any other big town or city, any time soon.

Went out for a hard hour ride this morning, hammering the first segment to the pub I knew I was on for a PB when I was stopped 100m short by traffic control. They are only filming I'm a twat celebrity round the pub. Lanes full of big plush twatmobile transporters, cameras, lights, chaos everywhere. I went through in grumpy swear mode - nobody messes with the Moley on a mission!

Up the reservoir was main encampment of marquees, catering etc. Don't need that lot in our nice quiet valley, at least it was absolutely pissing down with rain. Welcome to Wales
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

To compensate for missing last nights run I went out on a ride this morning of 31 miles and 2'600 feet in 2hrs 7 min. A very cool and windy ride, courtesy of Storm Alex, took me out to Monyash, Flagg, Earl Sterndale and Parsley Hay where a cup of Hot Chocolate was most welcome and warmed me up nicely.

I then dropped down into Middleton, Youlgreave and Alport before a car/van/lorry infested couple of miles up the A6 to Bakewell before the 2 miles uphill drag home. Only 2 other cyclists seen.

I wore my new Gore waterproof cycling jacket, that I picked up in Evans Cycles on Wednesday, but it didn't rain! Alex let me down on that front, but it was very comfortable and certainly kept the wind out.

To celebrate the Giro I thought I would wear my GB top today (co-sponsors MG and Bianchi) – an Italian team which in one incarnation once included Mario Cipollini - and it would be disingenuous of me to deny what attracted me to purchase that particular retro top. The material is a bit thicker than current high tech tops but that is what you need when the nights draw in and there is a chill in the air and the rain comes down.

As I zip-zipped along I hummed Randy Newman’s Rider In The Rain to myself - although the song is about going to Arizona where I sense they don’t actually have much rain. Anyway, neither of the climbs up to Barden Moor or Howden Hill by Beamsley Beacon are featured in Cycling Climbs of Yorkshire – but we do have so many – and 2600 feet in 27 miles did mean I didn't doze off while pedal pushing.

But how could I whilst glorying along the back roads of Yorkshire’s magnificent Moors?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Following yesterdays lazy day watching cycling, todays ride was just over 62 miles and 6'040 feet in 4hrs 29 min. Down the A6 to Rowsley and up SW's Official 100 climbs No34 Rowsley Bar, which although resurfaced this summer, was still hard work. From there, over Beeley Moor to Wadshelf and on to Owler Bar and Foxhouse. Down towards Hathersage then a right up towards Higgar Tor and down below Stanage and Bamford Edges to Bamford.

Up the Hope Valley to Castleton then up Pindale Road Climb and over to Peak Forest. Back towards Tideswell and up to the Barrel at Bretton before descending to Eyam, Foolow and across to Longstone Edge and down to Ashford followed by the climb up Crow Lane and home.

In the main a sunny but breezy day but I got caught in a cool, but refreshing shower 10 miles from home. Very few cyclist seen other than at the hotspots around Owler Bar and the Hope Valley.

Refuelling took place at the Tastebuds Cafe in Bamford Garden Centre where Poached Eggs on Toast were washed down with Earl Grey.