Page 676 of 846 FirstFirst ... 176576626666674675676677678686726776 ... LastLast
Results 6,751 to 6,760 of 8460

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Simon Warren in his description of Trapping Hill (from Lofthouse, north of Pately Bridge) says that whenever you see an "unsuitable for heavy good vehicles and buses" sign you know you're in for some fun. Maybe so and because the 259 metres of climb takes 3150 metres, the fun certainly lasts.

Pateley Bridge lies besides the River Nidd ravine, so the town is vulnerable to floods, and every road out of PB involves a steep climb. One is Greenhow Hill which starts at 18% but then becomes relatively easier to achieve a 282 metres gain in 3990. This climb is so popular with cylists that motorists are warned about them at the bottom and cyclists are warned of the hazards of the descent at the top.

Anyway 56 miles, 5500 feet including the ride along the beautifull Gouthwaite Reservoir between Wath and the idyllic village of Ramsgill. One almost forgot the biting, fierce, cold wind.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 07-10-2020 at 10:25 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

One of the ironies of life is that when I ordered SIS gels by mail order I used to be sent a free SKY bidon - and I hate SKY and all its works (and anyway I have genuine bidons as discarded by riders in the Dauphine and le Tour).

Now SIS are sending me a free INEOS Grenadier bidon which as far as I am concerned is SKY by another name. Grrr!!!

SIS gels are in Lidl this week (today), £3.99 a pack of 6 "Isotonic Energy" so I bought some for emergencies. Don't know how that compares but if you are interested....?
    But no free gifts
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    SIS gels are in Lidl this week (today), £3.99 a pack of 6 "Isotonic Energy" so I bought some for emergencies. Don't know how that compares but if you are interested....?
    But no free gifts
    I bought GO Isotonic Energy Gel - 30 Pack (Blackcurrant)
    Save 50%
    Special Price£22.50 (I bought 2 packs so no postage).

So Lidl is a bit cheaper but there are no Lidl near me (Lots of Aldi!)

If you get on the SIS email list they are always offering special deals.

I once bought bulk boxes of gels that were meant for the US market and were printed with US data but I think were within a year of the sell by date** and presumably could not be shipped there for sale - or something - and so were ridiculously cheap.

** I think there were so many I didn't get through them in the time - but (as you see) I'm still here!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    One of the ironies of life is that when I ordered SIS gels by mail order I used to be sent a free SKY bidon - and I hate SKY and all its works (and anyway I have genuine bidons as discarded by riders in the Dauphine and le Tour).

Now SIS are sending me a free INEOS Grenadier bidon which as far as I am concerned is SKY by another name. Grrr!!!
    Why don't you give High 5 a try. No Sky/Ineos freebies but a nice High5 one!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Why don't you give High 5 a try. No Sky/Ineos freebies but a nice High5 one!
    But I would lose the opportunity to vilify SKY!

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I bought GO Isotonic Energy Gel - 30 Pack (Blackcurrant)
    Save 50%
    Special Price£22.50 (I bought 2 packs so no postage).

So Lidl is a bit cheaper but there are no Lidl near me (Lots of Aldi!)

If you get on the SIS email list they are always offering special deals.

I once bought bulk boxes of gels that were meant for the US market and were printed with US data but I think were within a year of the sell by date** and presumably could not be shipped there for sale - or something - and so were ridiculously cheap.

** I think there were so many I didn't get through them in the time - but (as you see) I'm still here!!!
    Be careful consuming all those gels Graham. They may get you up Trapping Hill but they'll rot your guts.

I'm with Moley, use them for emergencies only. In fact I've just looked in the cupboard and noticed that I'm still on "Best Before" 30/09/2018!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    In fact I've just looked in the cupboard and noticed that I'm still on "Best Before" 30/09/2018!
    Better get them down you in the next couple of years then.

Have to say I'm not a fan of gels, disgusting things but they do work. th
    Tey are handy for emergencies on this cycling lark and I always have a couple in my bag, they have got me up a last hill on the way home when I have run out of proper food.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

30 miles in the forest of dean on an e-mtb. huge fun on the downs. amazing on the ups. gotta have one. my trail bike is up for sale!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth