Page 677 of 846 FirstFirst ... 177577627667675676677678679687727777 ... LastLast
Results 6,761 to 6,770 of 8460

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

A very enjoyable ride out today with a friend I have not seen for 3 years. 45 miles and 2'850 feet in 3hr 28min.
    The first half was on tarmac, down to Rowsley, Beeley and up Beeley Moor, SW's Another 100 Great Cycling Climbs No 127, and then over the moors towards Crich before turning right and the descent down to Lea Bridge and the Cromford Canal.

A surface change onto trail and up the mile long incline to Wirksworth. Refreshments taken at the Blue Lagoon Cafe at the National Stone Centre followed by the long drag into a headwind to the end of the High Peak Trail at Dowlow.

Back on the black stuff, a leisurely, mainly downhill six miles home.

A cold day, with a few showers, but better than forecast. Pleased to report that the newly fitted Bontrager Friendly Fenders were up to the job.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

A short 15k and 450m up the mines, trying hard for a PB on the climb but felt something wrong with the bike - seat had slipped down near 4cm. Great thing about running is only have to remember to tie my laces up!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Why don't you give High 5 a try. No Sky/Ineos freebies but a nice High5 one!
    I can now report that my free Grenadier bidon has arrived and it is in a lovely shade of pink.

Somewhat akin to the maillot rose that Ineos Grenadiers were trying to win through Geraint Thomas - until he rode over a bidon and fell off that is.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Wet and cold 30k up the reservoir, 600m ascent, gentle peddle and hoping for better weather tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Have to say I'm not a fan of gels, disgusting things but they do work. th
    Tey are handy for emergencies on this cycling lark and I always have a couple in my bag, they have got me up a last hill on the way home when I have run out of proper food.
    I agree with you normal food is way better, but there is a time for gels and I find the ones with added caffinne are great for getting one up the last hill.

30 miles and 3500ft around forestry tracks mainly. Legs empty and a slow, hard grind. Lovely day and fantastic views of the whole range of brecon beacons and black mountains - made the uphill slogs worthwhile

Every inch of the road from Settle to Malham (B6479) is superb limestone country with views of Malham Tarn and, of course, Malham Cove. The climb out of Settle is Langcliffe Scar (7/10 in Simon Warren's ranking) with a bit of 20% (presumably the road sign is there to frighten car drivers because cyclists will just check they are still on the big ring) but averaging around 8% over its mile or so length.

What goes up must come down and the descent into Malham is another 7/10 in Simon's book although I think this is a tougher climb because it is approaching two miles, very busy with traffic and dangerous to leave the correct side of the road because the drystone walls obscure descending traffic.

So 52 miles and 4000 feet on a cold but blue-sky day that enticed what felt like 1000 motor bikes onto the roads and a surprising number of Bentleys (and raucous 911 Porches) with the top down. Before I die I hope to see a Bentley that does not have a look-at-me vanity number-plate. I fear I will be disappointed.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 11-10-2020 at 06:59 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    So 52 miles and 4000 feet on a cold but blue-sky day that enticed what felt like 1000 motor bikes onto the roads and a surprising number of Bentleys (and raucous 911 Porches) with the top down. Before I die I hope to see a Bentley that does not have a look-at-me vanity number-plate. I fear I will be disappointed.
    If you've got a Bentley, you may as well get a number plate to go with it. It's on the Ford Fiestas where the vanity number plates look out of place.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Felt a bit lethargic this morning so an 11.30 start for todays ride of 40 miles and 3,471 feet in 2hrs 41 min. A bit quicker than I thought I was going as the legs and lungs were not very happy!

A cold but bright day saw me go out to Taddington, Earl Sterndale and down Long Dale to the small mere at Heathcote. A drink and banana before crossing the 515 and down into Parwich prior to the short steep climb out and on to Pikehall. Along Elton Moor to Winster before the lovely descent below Robin Hoods Stride to the A6 and past Haddon Hall to Bakewell before the final climb up to home. A few cyclists about, but similar to Graham has reported, loads of motor bikes which caused me a couple of unnerving moments when they were overtaking lines of cars coming towards me on what were not the widest of roads.

Didn't feel on it today but the highlight was a £20 note blowing towards me and, as I dislike litter, I felt obliged to dismount and pick it up and it will be disposed of appropriately.

Perhaps I should join a bike riding forum as I'm still not running, but today did a very cool and breezy 45.43 miles and 4'085 feet in 3hrs 6min with my Osteopath friend who was so impressed with my choice of route, and he enjoyed himself so much that he is going to get me back running at mates rates!

Out to Buxton and up Manchester Road and then down into the Goyt Valley. Up and over to Axe Edge and after a delicious slice of Lemon Drizzle Cake at Flash Bar Stores, (still no cornflake cake), along the ridge to The Mermaid before the long descent into the Manifold Valley at Hulme End.

Up and over to The Dove Valley and Hartington before the drag to Parsley Hay and then down into Monyash and then home.

Surprisingly saw less than 10 other cyclist on what was a cool but lovely day to be out in the fresh air.