Page 681 of 846 FirstFirst ... 181581631671679680681682683691731781 ... LastLast
Results 6,801 to 6,810 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

On a bright sunny day I set off from downtown Ilkley to climb Norwood Edge, a mile or so up from Lindley Wood Reservoir with some 16% bits and one of Simon Warren's Yorkshire Climbs.

By the time I reached Blubberhouses Moor and the wind had managed to blow me off the road I decided 24 miles and 2100 feet was good enough and L'Angliru and the Vuelta beckoned on Eurosport.

Perhaps in the ITV4 commentary tonight David Millar will mention that he climbed off and abandoned here in 2002. But he never was much good without the EPO.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 01-11-2020 at 06:56 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    David Millar's account is here but I'm not sure his abandon was much to do with EPO more a political statement towards the race organisers.
    https://chpt3.com/blogs/journal/angliru

Great stage today though.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    David Millar's account is here but I'm not sure his abandon was much to do with EPO more a political statement towards the race organisers.
    https://chpt3.com/blogs/journal/angliru

Great stage today though.
    Yes. Although I did think Roglic was doing so much work dragging his group up the mountain he was unlikely to cross the line first.

I have read both Millar's books. I think he is the best race analyst (along with Robert Millar) because he has "done it" and is intelligent and articulate. Although he gabbles so much he must be paid by the word. However I have never really accepted his "I had to dope" defence. Maybe I just don't like him.

And of course, being British, commentators never refer to his dark background whereas they used to be happy to refer to eg Valverde's past.

Interestingly on Eurosport the other day they talked about the oldest rider to win a Grand Tour and talked about Chris Horner who won the Vuelta in 2013 at 41 years (!) "out of nowhere". I don't think his record is crystal clear but that was never mentioned of course.

However omerta has always extended to TV commentators as well - I have never really expected them to admit they helped hold the syringe.

(Oops. A post on cycling and drugs without my mentioning the loathsome Richard Virenque. Almost.)
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 02-11-2020 at 10:06 AM.

A book I have never found is Could Have-Should Have Won That Grand Tour.

It will be about team tactics and star riders and cover such matters as why Wiggins had to win his (solitary) Tour when Froome was the stronger rider and the Hinault/LeMond soap opera.

Having spent the rainy days fettling my bike in the shed - no idea what I'm doing but youtube helps - I cleaned all the chain and cog bits, piles of gunk came off and today I took it for a ride.
    Damn a clean bike is like having an extra gear, it does go better and everything clonks less. 30k and 650m before lunch.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Indeed. A regular deep clean works wonders as does a cable change when shifting starts to become less precise. Do the both and it like having a new bike. Well almost...
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

(Ilkley), Otley, Pool and Arthington on the road to Harrogate lie on or south of the River Wharfe. Further south from Otley is the climb up the side of the Chevin to Bramhope on the main Leeds Road. Between the two are six climbs roughly parallel with each other and all with their own character. So Old Pool Bank is straight and brutal, Creskeld Lane passes very expensive houses in Bramhope, Black Hill Road merely passes a farm and a quarry so the road is always covered in slurry. Sometimes dry but more interesting when wet which means retaining adhesion on the allegedly but doubtful 20% slope concentrates the mind with HGV quarry lorries roaring up behind you.

Today I went up Black Hill, down the new Pool Bank, up Old Pool Bank and down the main Leeds Chevin Road to Otley and home.

Twenty eight miles and 1700 feet and lots of pootling along the flooded, fast moving River Wharfe.Lovely.

-
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 03-11-2020 at 10:25 PM.

Cycled into town with rucksack for shopping.
    Forgot face mask 😷.
    Cycled home again without shopping 🚴.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Cycled into town with rucksack for shopping.
    Forgot face mask ��.
    Cycled home again without shopping ��.
    Still time to get down there before they shut at 5pm

PS Don't forget your face covering!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Still time to get down there before they shut at 5pm

PS Don't forget your face covering!
    Afternoon trip vetoed, bonfiring instead!