Page 682 of 846 FirstFirst ... 182582632672680681682683684692732782 ... LastLast
Results 6,811 to 6,820 of 8460

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

39 miles and 5000ft, lot of off road. Slow but a lovely day for it, legs tired now!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

I have a soft spot for the River Wharfe and a very nice ride is from Ilkley through Beamsley and the back road though Bolton Abbey's woods (then Appletreewick) to emerge on the lovely bridge in Burnsall; and then back on the other bank with an optional diversion over Bardon Moor via Embsay. Not much of this is flat and so 31 miles and 2800 feet. The route surface through the Bolton Abbey woods is rough and is really just a service road for the Abbey (it includes a ford) and so I treated my Boardman ADV to an outing. My best bike may have Vittoria graphene tyres but why tempt fate?

I have a book Journey of the Wharfe by Paul Hannon which illustrates its route from the source in Langstrothdale to where it joins the Ouse. It's a nice book and includes a photograph near the summit of the Burnsall Fell Race of a line of fellrunners stretched out behind one runner I know rather well, so possibly I am biased.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 05-11-2020 at 09:15 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I have a soft spot for the River Wharfe and a very nice ride is from Ilkley through Beamsley and the back road though Bolton Abbey's woods (then Appletreewick) to emerge on the lovely bridge in Burnsall; and then back on the other bank with an optional diversion over Bardon Moor via Embsay. Not much of this is flat and so 31 miles and 2800 feet. The route surface through the Bolton Abbey woods is rough and is really just a service road for the Abbey (it includes a ford) and so I treated my Boardman ADV to an outing. My best bike may have Vittoria graphene tyres but why tempt fate?

I have a book Journey of the Wharfe by Paul Hannon which illustrates its route from the source in Langstrothdale to where it joins the Ouse. It's a nice book and includes a photograph near the summit of the Burnsall Fell Race of a line of fellrunners stretched out behind one runner I know rather well, so possibly I am biased.
    Graham, is your ADV the off the shelf version from Halfords, currently 8.9 with Shimano GRX 10 speed for £1,000 or did you choose your own bells and whistles from their "build your own" service?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Graham, is your ADV the off the shelf version from Halfords, currently 8.9 with Shimano GRX 10 speed for £1,000 or did you choose your own bells and whistles from their "build your own" service?
    I bought it in May ordered "off the shelf". It was £1000. Shimano Tiagra. It was difficult get hold of any new bike then and delivery on some other brands was in months. In fact what arrived wasn't stricttly to the spec but I was grateful to get anything since they were in very short supply. It was my 3rd Boardman and you do get "bangs for your buck" (Halfords own them now of course) and I wanted something more robust for canal towpaths etc but without the brute strength, shock absorption or weight of a MTB. The supplied tyres were 700x35mm and OK for "trail" but too smooth and useless for mud etc. (There was some discussion with Wheezing Donkey on here about alternatives).

I love my Bianchi but fast on a broken road surface it bounces all over the place on 25mm but the Boardman (5 lb heavier) just rolls over any rubbish and never makes me feel I am about to fall under an HGV.

And I rather like that feeling!

Oh and it is bright orange!
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 06-11-2020 at 10:26 AM.

A cold and misty start for todays ride of 45 miles and 4'170 feet in 3hrs 9min. Went out with a friend who was astride his Bianchi and although he enjoyed my chosen route was not too impressed with the numerous farms we either went through or past which got his pride and joy covered in cowshit.

Out to Chelmorton and Earl Sterndale before the long drag up to Axe Edge and straight back down to Glutton Bridge and on to Hollingsclough. In fact it was a loop around Parkhouse and Chrome Hills which looked lovely in the bright Autumn sun. Longnor, Crowdecote and Earl Sterndale again before down Long Dale and up to Parsley Hay.

Nicely surprised to see that the cafe kiosk was open at Parsley Hay with 8 or 9 pairs of customers sitting at the picnic tables with their refreshments. Whilst I was consuming my toasted tea-cake and Earl Grey my friend decided to educate me on the origin of Bianchi's Celeste colour and that how he was outraged about the 2021 models going to be available in just about any colour. As we set off he said " of all my bikes my Bianchi is the only one that makes me happy" and continued " when ever I ride it I feel alive". I replied " even when its covered in cowshit" and was told to **** off!

We continued to Biggin, Friden and Monyash and back home via Magpie Mine. A fantastic ride out in good company with very few others about apart from at Parsley Hay.

Oh yes, thanks for the info on your Boardman, Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    As we set off he said " of all my bikes my Bianchi is the only one that makes me happy" and continued " when ever I ride it I feel alive".
    I trust he rides Campagnolo and nothing from that maker of fishing rod reels?

I trust he rides Campagnolo and nothing from that maker of fishing rod reels?
    Correct.

(Ilkley), Otley, Pool and Arthington on the road to Harrogate lie on or south of the River Wharfe. Further south from Otley is the climb up the side of the Chevin to Bramhope on the main Leeds Road. Between the two are six climbs roughly parallel with each other and all with their own character. So Old Pool Bank is straight and brutal, Creskeld Lane passes very expensive houses in Bramhope, Black Hill Road merely passes a farm and a quarry so the road is always covered in slurry. Sometimes dry but more interesting when wet which means retaining adhesion on the allegedly but doubtful 20% slope concentrates the mind with HGV quarry lorries roaring up behind you.

Today I went up Black Hill, down the new Pool Bank, up Old Pool Bank and down the main Leeds Chevin Road to Otley and home.

Twenty eight miles and 1700 feet and lots of pootling along the flooded, fast moving River Wharfe.Lovely.

-
    I know I’me not much of a cyclist compared with you and Llani so nice to hear some familiar names. This is my neck of the wood when it comes to cycling and doing a bit of climbing. I have fairly regularly done all of the climbs you mentioned over the last five or six years or so. There is also Weardley Bank that lies to the east of Black Hill Road and skirts the back of the Harewood Estate. Probably mid way in gradient between Black Hill Road and Creskeld Lane. Black Hill Road certainly feels sharp to me even though it is short. I remember once coming down it on the first Tour de Yorkshire sportive in 2015 in the driving rain and it was not a comfortable experience.

Norwood Edge, (which I imagine you know well) to the north of Otley is also a decent climb and within a circuit from home for me.
    Last edited by Muddy Retriever; 07-11-2020 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    I know I’me not much of a cyclist compared with you and Llani so nice to hear some familiar names. This is my neck of the wood when it comes to cycling and doing a bit of climbing. I have fairly regularly done all of the climbs you mentioned over the last five or six years or so. There is also Weardley Bank that lies to the east of Black Hill Road and skirts the back of the Harewood Estate. Probably mid way in gradient between Black Hill Road and Creskeld Lane. Black Hill Road certainly feels sharp to me even though it is short. I remember once coming down it on the first Tour de Yorkshire sportive in 2015 in the driving rain and it was not a comfortable experience.

Norwood Edge, (which I imagine you know well) to the north of Otley is also a decent climb and within a circuit from home for me.
    Well Llani is more of a cyclist than I am - I just think I am lucky to have so many climbs (and reservoirs) nearby. On the other hand, as Simon Warren says, "there's nothing picturesque about Thwaites Brow...just focus on those (cobble)stones"!

Well Llani is more of a cyclist than I am - I just think I am lucky to have so many climbs (and reservoirs) nearby. On the other hand, as Simon Warren says, "there's nothing picturesque about Thwaites Brow...just focus on those (cobble)stones"!
    And I don't consider myself much of a cyclist, more of a reluctant one. I only do it as I am struggling to get back running at the moment!