Page 684 of 846 FirstFirst ... 184584634674682683684685686694734784 ... LastLast
Results 6,831 to 6,840 of 8460

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Thanks Pete, I'm increasing my mileage quite steadily, although it's going to be a low total this week. Following my big rear wheel slide on slurry, on a narrow country road with a lorry coming the other way, I have ordered some winter tyres from one of the largest on-line retailers. I was tempted by their offer of collection points, only to find it didn't work after I'd paid. Consequently, I'll be staying in for a good part of the week!

Following Mr Breeze's mention, I have ordered the cheapest tyres available with Graphene, in 28mm width. Of course it didn't stop there; neither of the two pairs of existing wheels I had were wide enough, so I had to buy a training/touring/winter pair from the Japanese maker of fishing equipment. And the 6 inner tubes I have from the prestigious German tyre manufacturer were too narrow
    When I muttered in my local dealer that I seemed to be spending a lot of money the response was "well, this is a bike shop".
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

My road bike was looking neglected today so 25 miles to climb Black Hill, near Harewood House, and back. It was a joy to be riding something 5 lb lighter than the Boardman ADV.

When I was buying this bike the shop owner was extolling the virtues of the hand built steel Pennine bikes they make and pointed out they last a life time and far longer than the carbon frame model I was considering. So I checked my birth certificate - and stuck with the Bianchi.

I'm looking forward to buying my road 🚲, was meant to happen but assorted lockdowns prevented travel to go and look at bikes, plus there seems to be shortage of stock all around. So with winter here it will have to wait for springtime.
    But as I peddle my 111/2kg of gravel bike up rough gravel forest tracks, I do long for a nice easy spin eating up the road miles and finding a cafe half way around ☕
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    I'm looking forward to buying my road ��, was meant to happen but assorted lockdowns prevented travel to go and look at bikes, plus there seems to be shortage of stock all around. So with winter here it will have to wait for springtime.
    But as I peddle my 111/2kg of gravel bike up rough gravel forest tracks, I do long for a nice easy spin eating up the road miles and finding a cafe half way around ☕
    My previous road bike had a 32 at the back and I could get up anything but the lowest gear on the Bianchi is 34/29 so 10% higher. I did notice the lack of a "crisis" gear when I bought it.

My ADV is 32/32 but is 24 lb rather than the 19 lb of the Bianchi. That feels a lot heavier but relative to my body weight - not that significant compared to the 15% lower, lowest gear of the ADV.

So which is easier to ride up hills? The heavier ADV!

I had a brief word with a young man on a MTB today. I think he said the dinner plate on the rear was a 50 and his single ring on the front was a 26. He said it was good for getting up hills!

I just wondered how he kept it moving forward

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    My road bike was looking neglected today so 25 miles to climb Black Hill, near Harewood House, and back. It was a joy to be riding something 5 lb lighter than the Boardman ADV.

When I was buying this bike the shop owner was extolling the virtues of the hand built steel Pennine bikes they make and pointed out they last a life time and far longer than the carbon frame model I was considering. So I checked my birth certificate - and stuck with the Bianchi.

Yes, but... 'Birthdays are good for you. Statistics show that the people who have the most live the longest'. (Larry Lorenzoni)
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I had a brief word with a young man on a MTB today. I think he said the dinner plate on the rear was a 50 and his single ring on the front was a 26. He said it was good for getting up hills!

I just wondered how he kept it moving forward
    Like the discussion we had on another thread about running vs walking up hills: is there any point in having a gear so low that you can stay mounted while going up a hill even though it would be quicker to get off and walk?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Like the discussion we had on another thread about running vs walking up hills: is there any point in having a gear so low that you can stay mounted while going up a hill even though it would be quicker to get off and walk?
    Dignity.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Have you ever tried walking up a steep hill with shoe plates on the bottom of your shoes?
    Obviously not. When I go into a bike shop to buy a new pair of shoes, I always remember to mention that I want the sort of cycling shoes that it is possible to walk in.

My experience of steel frames is that they don't last a lifetime. I have worn out two steel frames, both Reynolds 531, after around 10 years of light use and in both cases the seat-tube/bottom bracket braze fractured. Whilst it is possible to repair frames with this affliction, the cost involved is about the same as buying a new frame or even buying a cheap bike (at the price I pay for them anyway).
    I'm still going around on a 35-year old Reynolds 531 frame. Although my mileages these days are much more modest, there was a time when I was doing over 5000 miles per year, over half of it on this bike. However, the fork did break (while my son was riding it!) about 8 years ago.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

A cold and blustery wind hampered my progress today during my 40 miles and 4'183 feet ride resulting in it taking 3hrs 2min.
    For a change I set off downhill into Ashford in the Water and along to Great Longstone and up Longstone Edge. A headwind to the top of Hay Dale before I dropped into Upperdale and then the steep climb up to and through Cressbrook and on to Litton.

Back into a headwind for the next 10 miles along the road above Little Hucklow and then over to Peak Forest with no respite until Wormhill and the drop into Millers Dale where a welcome latte and date slice (again) warmed me up.

No excitement at todays stop other than a dog eating someone's chips!

Now refuelled I took on the mile and a quarter drag out of Millers Dale up to the A6. I hate this hill. It is sheltered from the wind and not particularly steep but I can never seem to get into a comfortable gear or pace. Perhaps it is because every time I do it it is at least, and usually more than, 2 hrs into a ride.

Anyway I got to the A6 and the headwind again riding over to Chelmorton and on to the 515. Then nearly all downhill to Flagg, Monyash and home after what felt like a tough ride.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 16-11-2020 at 07:37 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Anybody want to hazard a guess as to how long it might take me to cycle over the Wrynose and Hardknott Passes?

Googlemaps informs me that it's 12.3 miles from Skelwith Bridge to Boot... is two hours enough for that journey (not racing, just pushing along nicely)? Even with the climbs, surely average of 6mph can't be too ambitious?

I'm no dedicated cyclist, but have been known to get on a bike and do 50+ miles with not much prior thought. Obviously i'd likely be pushing up sections of the passes i'd have thought.