Page 688 of 782 FirstFirst ... 188588638678686687688689690698738 ... LastLast
Results 6,871 to 6,880 of 7819

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

  1. #6871
    Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    I used to love taking apart the bearings on my road bike as a kid and repacking them and putting them back together, a great grounding in basic mechanics
    Which red blooded boy didn't?

    I once spent 6 weeks in the steam loco. works of a coal mine during which we replaced the white metal bearings on one of the engines. I was 19, it was a wonderful experience and I still remember the fitter's name.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  2. #6872
    Master Daletownrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Out Running
    Posts
    1,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Which red blooded boy didn't?

    I once spent 6 weeks in the steam loco. works of a coal mine during which we replaced the white metal bearings on one of the engines. I was 19, it was a wonderful experience and I still remember the fitter's name.
    Just remembered I used to do my freewheel as well, knock the end cap off and repack it, a piece of cotton to hold the pawls in while you slotted the top back on, I think Iíve got an old Maillard block in the shed, I might knock it apart for old times sake although I probably wonít be able to see the ball bearings now

  3. #6873
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Posts
    1,875
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Which red blooded boy didn't?
    Me. Bicycles are for riding, not fiddling about with. I can just about mend a puncture or fit a new pair of brake blocks. Anything else goes to the professionals in the bike shop. Taking bearings apart? You must be joking!
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

  4. #6874
    Master PeteS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Posts
    1,814
    A trip into Brum partly to check out the progress with the new cycling infrastructure. Not bad and certainly a step in the right direction. Still a way off where it should be but let's hope it delivers according to the proposed plans.
    A scenic route home via the Wast, Lickey, Waseley and Clent Hills. Plenty of mud and leaves on the road so took it easy on the descents. 55km/750m.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

    Going downhill fast

  5. #6875
    Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    Just remembered I used to do my freewheel as well...
    Gee! So was it you who welded his broken forks at the forge at the bottom of the Tourmalet in the Tour de France then?
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 21-11-2020 at 08:06 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  6. #6876
    Master Daletownrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Out Running
    Posts
    1,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Gee! So was it you who welded his broken forks at the forge at the bottom of the Tourmalet in the Tour de France then?
    Non, I was the little fella that pumped the bellows Monsieur

  7. #6877
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Over Haddon
    Posts
    2,134
    A lovely ride today on the Arkose Adventure bike fitted with new Continental CycloXKing tyres. A total of 36 miles and 2'270feet in 2hrs 53min.
    12 miles was on tarmac and the rest on trail or very muddy tracks and fields. Only 4 dismounts, 2 in cattle trodden gateways and 2 to avoid puddles higher than the crank!

    Out to Monyash then up Derby Lane to Long Rake. A section of very broken and rutted track to pick up the High Peak Trail and then a left onto the Tissington Trail and down to Biggin. A decent 2 miles of Bridleway known as Cardlemere Lane and Cobblersnook Lane to pick up the HPT again at Minninglow and then back to Parsley Hay for a Latte stop. Finally to the end of the trail at Dowlow before the usual run home via Flagg and Monyash.

    Managed to stay dry apart from a bit of drizzle 10 mins from home but some ferocious gusts of wind on exposed sections of the HPT that nearly had me over a couple of times.

    And I would recommend The Continental CycloXKing's. Never missed a beat!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

  8. #6878
    Master molehill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rhandirmwyn
    Posts
    3,813
    Managed to get the crankshaft oot and confirm the bottom bracket is ******, one bearing completely disintigrated, a few loose bearings and some metal filings floating about in there . Now have to get the BB out, see if my mate has the tool to take off the retaining nut, if not I shall dig out the monkey wrench!
    It's a FSA system, trouble is knowing what tools are called; I can see what the job is and what is needed, but what is it called - all a bit long winded but a good learning curve - I used to fix my cars so surely I can fix a bike
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

  9. #6879
    Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Managed to get the crankshaft oot and confirm the bottom bracket is ******, one bearing completely disintigrated, a few loose bearings and some metal filings floating about in there . Now have to get the BB out, see if my mate has the tool to take off the retaining nut, if not I shall dig out the monkey wrench!
    It's a FSA system, trouble is knowing what tools are called; I can see what the job is and what is needed, but what is it called - all a bit long winded but a good learning curve - I used to fix my cars so surely I can fix a bike
    I broke a pedal and had to buy a pedal-removing-tool.

    It was surprisingly expensive, cost about £20 a minute of use and still looks immaculate.

    So I really wish I had some neighbours with bikes so I could say "Oh I can help you with that little job...
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  10. #6880
    Master molehill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rhandirmwyn
    Posts
    3,813
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I broke a pedal and had to buy a pedal-removing-tool.

    It was surprisingly expensive, cost about £20 a minute of use and still looks immaculate.

    So I really wish I had some neighbours with bikes so I could say "Oh I can help you with that little job...
    Know what you mean, tracked down the socket for $38, cheaper own brands available. Mate just replied to email "order the new BB and bring it all over". What I love to hear, my charm works every time 🤗
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Similar Threads

  1. Overnight road bike ride
    By fishbulb in forum Training
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 22-09-2019, 03:52 PM
  2. first ride on the road bike:-(
    By SEFTON in forum Training
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 21-01-2011, 08:28 PM
  3. so you think you ride a bike
    By IanDarkpeak in forum General chat!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-10-2010, 11:28 PM
  4. Anyone fancy a bike ride?
    By JeffM in forum Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-05-2009, 01:41 PM
  5. Easter Lakes Bike ride.
    By Al Fowler in forum General chat!
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 07-04-2009, 08:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •