Page 694 of 846 FirstFirst ... 194594644684692693694695696704744794 ... LastLast
Results 6,931 to 6,940 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Having done no exercise, other than short dog walks, since hurting my back nearly 2 weeks ago I was getting stir crazy so went out on the Arkose gravel bike today.

Once I had struggled to get all my gear on, having got astride, fortunately my back was OK and I managed a chilly but mainly sunny 40 miles and 2'600 feet in 3hrs 11min, the vast majority of it being off road.

A downhill start to Youlgreave and then up to Friden and along the HPT to Longcliffe. Down to Ballidon and up a lovely lane I have not been on before to Roystone Grange which is, or rather was, a medieval monastic sheep and cattle farm. Animal wise all I could see were lots of fancy chickens and three Iron Age pigs, which I think are a cross between Wild Boar and an heritage pig breed. They certainly looked ancient!

A few more miles of gradual uphill on gravelly Cobblersnook and Cardlemere Lanes before dropping down to the Tissington Trail at Biggin. As I was "flying" down the lane I could hear a strange noise which I thought was coming from something stuck in my rear wheel. I dared not look as all my concentration was required on the large grade gravel and water filled potholes. The noise got louder and then I realised that it was the honking of a skein of geese overhead, and as they appeared in front of me I could see that there was at least 200 of them. They were not very high so I assumed that they were on their way back to nearby Carsington Water after a days grazing.
    Along the TT to Parsley Hay for a warming Latte and then on to the end of the HPT and the usual run home via Flagg and Monyash.

A lovely day out and surprisingly only 3 other cyclists seen. Shoulders are a bit achy but the back seems OK.

Lets see in the morning!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 08-12-2020 at 12:51 AM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Having done no exercise, other than short dog walks, since hurting my back nearly 2 weeks ago I was getting stir crazy so went out on the Arkose gravel bike today.

Once I had struggled to get all my gear on, having got astride, fortunately my back was OK and I managed a chilly but mainly sunny 40 miles and 2'600 feet in 3hrs 11min, the vast majority of it being off road.

A downhill start to Youlgreave and then up to Friden and along the HPT to Longcliffe. Down to Ballidon and up a lovely lane I have not been on before to Roystone Grange which is or was a medieval monastic sheep and cattle farm. Animal wise all I could see were lots of fancy chickens and three Iron Age pigs, which I think are a cross between Wild Boar and an heritage pig breed. They certainly looked ancient!

A few more miles of gradual uphill on gravelly Cobblersnook and Cardlemere Lanes before dropping down to the Tissington Trail at Biggin. As I was "flying" down the lane I could hear a strange noise which I thought was coming from something stuck in my rear wheel. I dared not look as all my concentration was required on the large grade gravel and water filled potholes. The noise got louder and then I realised that it was the honking of a skein of geese overhead, and as they appeared in front of me I could see that there was at least 200 of them. They were not very high so I assumed that they were on their way back to nearby Carsington Water after a days grazing.
    Along the TT to Parsley Hay for a warming Latte and then on to the end of the HPT and the usual run home via Flagg and Monyash.

A lovely day out and surprisingly only 3 other cyclists seen. Shoulders are a bit achy but the back seems OK.

Lets see in the morning!
    Well next time I hear disconcerting sounds instead of looking down at my bike I shall look up to the heavens for comfort.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post
    Stationery cycling is extremely boring. How the hell people chose it on purpose is beyond me. Many even pay regular fee, plus "smart" trainer. Weird.
    I don't get it either, if there is a choice. Suppose it is difficult at this time of year with early darkness and s**t weather, but why people go to gyms to use treadmills and indoor cycles if they could be outside is beyond me. And pay for it
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    I don't get it either, if there is a choice. Suppose it is difficult at this time of year with early darkness and s**t weather, but why people go to gyms to use treadmills and indoor cycles if they could be outside is beyond me. And pay for it
    +1 on all of that and even using weather and darkness as an excuse not to get outside is a cop out, given modern equipment.

For me the challenges of Autumn and winter make for the best, most rewarding and memorable outdoor exploits.

That also includes winter camping nothing finer than waking at sunrise on the hill (or anywhere quite for that matter} with a covering of snow and ice and lingering over a brew and breakfast, ok it may be raining but that just means you cut out the linger and get in a few more miles, win win in my book.

A great time of year for Bikepacking if injury says shanks pony is out.

Even the extra cleaning an care of the kit is a labour of love.
    Last edited by JohnK; 08-12-2020 at 06:53 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

I'd most certainly prefer to do all of my running outside... But I'd get absolutely nowhere near 10,000ft per week without using a treadmill.

It certainly benefits my training/performance.

Stationery cycling! Is that mixing up your pencils?

Where's spelling bee?

It was my mother's 98th birthday today so I was content to do a swift out along the R. Wharfe to Harewood Bank and a wiggle back via Huby to make sure I got to her apartment before the bacchanalia and diabolical, degenerate debauchery developed.

So 34 miles (1400 feet) along the rough and ravine ravaged roads of North Yorkshire to pass 3660 miles for the (leap) year.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 10-12-2020 at 09:51 AM.

Another mainly off road ride today on the Arkose. A couple of rutted rough lanes that I have previously only run/walked on and obviously hadn't realised how rough they were.

One tumble, when I couldn't get unclipped quickly enough having struck an unidentified object in the bottom of a waterfilled rut, and thereafter, 4 pre-emptory dismounts to avoid a similar outcome. These stops, combined with others to open gates, resulted in my 30 miles and 2'440 feet taking 2hrs 42 min at an average of only just over 11mph.

My back has held up but my arms and shoulders very achy and tender. I think the problem is that some sections of these routes I am doing are more suited to a mountain bike where most of the shock is taken by suspension and lower pressured tyres.

As much as I enjoy the gravel bike I think I will have to ease off on some of the terrain and look for a decent MTB in the New Year to replace my weighty 20 year old.

More importantly, going for a run tomorrow.

Oh, and finally, Happy Birthday Mrs Breeze
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

My son has texted to say he has ordered a Hunt 4 Seasons Gravel Disc Wheelset for delivery on his birthday: £349. I wonder if that is a hint to me that he isn’t happy with his usual £5 book token? When I bought my road bike (from a long-established Italian company) the dealer said he would very happily sell me some exotic wheels; but did I really need to get to the top of the hill 10 seconds faster?

I complimented him on his wisdom and put my credit card away.

However, as I surfed, splashed and sank under today's miserable rain I did ponder that if, say, a Meilenstein Evo Schwarz Edition Tubeless Disc Brake Wheelset has magic anti-rain properties they might well be worth considering at…£5358. And as a bonus I would be those 10 seconds faster as well.

Today another trip following the Wharfe but on the other bank via Castley with a lovely view of the railway viaduct on the Leeds-Harrogate line. I passed Weeton railway station which is bang in the middle of Huby. Weeton being a separate and much smaller village at least a mile away! The blame can be laid on the Leeds & Thirsk Railway Company when they opened the line in 1848 when Weeton was actually named Weeton for Ormscliff Crags (sic). I have never heard of these but Almscliffe Crags are not too far away.

I have not ridden this route since my son suggested we went out for a 30 mile ride which ended up closer to 50, throughout which he rode one hundred meters in front of me looking back at where I was.

Sometimes I think I should have strangled him at birth. It would also have saved on birthday presents.

Anyway, 27 miles and 750 feet.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 13-12-2020 at 05:22 PM.

I am sure a $5k wheel set would be a thing of beauty, befitting an Italian made blah, blah, blah . But ultimately the wheels are round like all the others and would you take them out in the rain ☔?
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.