Page 695 of 846 FirstFirst ... 195595645685693694695696697705745795 ... LastLast
Results 6,941 to 6,950 of 8460

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I have not ridden this route since my son suggested we went out for a 30 mile ride which ended up closer to 50, throughout which he rode one hundred meters in front of me looking back at where I was.

Sometimes I think I should have strangled him at birth. It would also have saved on birthday presents.
    Does an apple fall far from the tree?

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    This is the part of cycling I really dislike and led to me switching to running in the early 1990s.

30 odd years ago I was once beaten in a club 10 mile time-trial, (about the lowest level of cycling competition there is), by 8 seconds by someone on a full-on time-trial bike (carbon disc rear wheel, carbon fibre frame, aero front wheel, tri-bars, skinsuit, aero helmet and shoe covers) with all the clothing.
    But then of course you have the fun of overtaking people who do have all the kit when you don't. And conversely you should consider that when considering whether to spend that extra £1k - will this mean people will laugh at me when they overtake me riding their halfords bikes?

I've heard of cyclists and their new toy described as like a Rolls Royce with a Mini engine.

This is the part of cycling I really dislike and led to me switching to running in the early 1990s.

30 odd years ago I was once beaten in a club 10 mile time-trial, (about the lowest level of cycling competition there is), by 8 seconds by someone on a full-on time-trial bike (carbon disc rear wheel, carbon fibre frame, aero front wheel, tri-bars, skinsuit, aero helmet and shoe covers) with all the clothing.

At the time I calculated that if my bike (a standard road bike) was bought new it would cost £500 tops, whilst his bike I reckoned would be at least £1600. At the time one of the cycling magazines published an article outlining how much each of the various aero parts reduced your time. At the speed we were going his bike should have been 40 seconds faster than mine over 10 miles. So there it was, I was beaten by an inferior rider with a deeper wallet, or richer parents in his case.

I'd hoped, rather naively, that this would have changed during my absence from cycling, but this is clearly not the case. That's why running, in all its forms, is better than cycling; I think we're all ok about being beaten by better runners, but believe me it leaves a nasty taste when you lose to someone inferior than you, without going off course, who can 'buy performance'.
    Isn't fell running going in this same direction with the likes of Inov-hate trying to part you from £100+ with the promise the graphene in your soles will get you that bit extra performance.
    Last edited by bigfella; 15-12-2020 at 03:27 PM.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Actually, I think that in banning GPS for navigation fell running is going in the opposite (and correct) direction.

I don't think anyone with any great amount of fell running knowledge or experience believes the manufacturer's hype. On the last descent of my very last race I was passed by someone going like a rocket. When I glanced down I saw he was wearing the identical model of shoe to myself.

Losing 40 seconds plus in a 26 minute cycle race is significant; it's approaching 2 minutes an hour, every hour of racing.
    I entirely agree with you. I was just comparing the choice of footwear available now and accompanying hype compared with a choice of Walsh (2 models was it) or ETA when I started not that long ago.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

No biking but my mate who helps with my bikes and teaches me stuff has mailed today that he has covid (and to stay away), he just lives across the paddock from me and look out on their house. He went for test, only mentioned it is very unpleasant but fingers crossed for him - he's in the V45 bracket I think and fit etc. but that can become meaningless.
    Guess he caught it from work, College in village for young adults with learning difficulties so a very challenging environment to contain it and they have carers in from all over S.Wales daily.
    Tempted to mail him to ask if he wants his fancy bikes exercising, but maybe a little soon!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    No biking but my mate who helps with my bikes and teaches me stuff has mailed today that he has covid (and to stay away), he just lives across the paddock from me and look out on their house. He went for test, only mentioned it is very unpleasant but fingers crossed for him - he's in the V45 bracket I think and fit etc. but that can become meaningless.
    Guess he caught it from work, College in village for young adults with learning difficulties so a very challenging environment to contain it and they have carers in from all over S.Wales daily.
    Tempted to mail him to ask if he wants his fancy bikes exercising, but maybe a little soon!
    llkley Medical Practice rang me today to confirm my mother's vaccine dates - first one next week. As I have previously said, she is 98. I light-heartedly mentioned my place in the queue but since I am not yet 80 she said (jocularly) that I would just have to wait.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 21-12-2020 at 08:35 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

llkley Medical Practice rang me today to confirm my mother's vaccine dates - first one next week. As I have previously said, she is 98. I light-heartedly mentioned my place in the queue but since I am not yet 80 she said (jocularly) that I would just have to wait.
    I found out today that my mother's care home is expecting to get the vaccine within the next two weeks. My sister suggested to me that we "pop round there and sit with our sleeves rolled up, hoping for the best".

98! Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by flem View Post
    i found out today that my mother's care home is expecting to get the vaccine within the next two weeks. My sister suggested to me that we "pop round there and sit with our sleeves rolled up, hoping for the best".
    :d :d :d :d. :d

You must buy her one of these for Christmas https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corona-Va...edirect=mobile
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.