Page 704 of 847 FirstFirst ... 204604654694702703704705706714754804 ... LastLast
Results 7,031 to 7,040 of 8461

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Wet and smug beats dry and grumpy.
    Wet and grumpy is the only option on a bike here in Wales. Except when we have won the 6 nations and then life is daffodils 🌻 (nearest I could find to a Daffodil, not sure about the grammar either).
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Due to having to go to Chesterfield this morning my plans for a longish bike ride were thwarted. So this afternoon I got aboard my Moda Bolero, my winter road bike, for the first time in 18 months and took it for a spin.
    Up to Monyash, over the 515 and down Long Dale to Hartington and on just over the Stafforshire border but before Hulme End took a right, up towards Sheen, and todays TP at Bank Top. No one could be found at Bank Top Cottage so I hopped over a gate and trotted the 400 yards up to the TP which had lovely views over Hartington and the upper Dove Valley.

As I was getting short of daylight I retraced my route back to Monyash and then home via Horse Lane. A total of 25 miles and 1,860 feet in 1hr 42 mins. A bit of drizzle today but not enough for waterproof jacket to be donned. No other cyclists seen.

As my Moda is fitted with the Microshift gear changing system I had a little practice to remind myself on the way out. All went well and fortunately I was not presented with an unexpected quick gearchange, usually at the bottom of a steep incline, which is when the wheels can come off when riding with a system that is different from what one is used to.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

It was when the obese Philip Green offered Kate Moss a bite of his triple cheeseburger that she replied that nothing tasted as good as the skinny feel of 25mm Vittoria Rubino tyres beneath your 5 lb lighter summer bike. And today I agreed as the dry, crisp, blue February sky enticed my Bianchi from its rack for the first time since November for a 38 miles (1600 feet) tour of the bypasses, which anti-clockwise only includes left turns. Strava suggests I did 4xPB sections and it must be true because Strava never lies.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 01-02-2021 at 06:44 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    The mass of the rider is a factor but 25s surprisingly have lower rolling resistance than 23s.

Was going to have a rest today but with the blue sky and sun shining I decided to go for a spin. On the Moda road bike to Harpur Hill and Buxton then up Axe Edge on the A53 to The Winking Man pub and then on to The Mermaid. My plan was to return home from there but February days don't come better than today so I decided to push on. Along Morridge, where I was able to bag 2 TP's at Moor Top and Bradnop, all the way down to Waterhouses. Very chilly on the tops but I warmed up once in the bottom with a bag of Walkers crisps and a latte from the village shop in my hands. A bonus as I had not brought enough food for a longish ride.

Up to Calton and then the lovely single track road to Throwley and on to Ilam. All routes out of Ilam are up and I chose the northerly one which took me to Wetton. A short stop at the village toilets where the hand drier warmed my hands nicely. I also consumed my emergency gel which tasted disgusting and on looking at the sleeve it said BB 07/2019. I then ate my Marathon bar to take the taste away.

On down to Hartington and up Long Dale to Earl Sterndale then on to Chelmorton, Flagg, Monyash and home.

A total of 63 miles and 5,935 feet in 4hrs 27 min.

And rolling nicely on Continental Grand Prix 4 Seasons 25mm
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 01-02-2021 at 11:31 PM.

Llani, seeing your obvious location from your posts, you are no doubt waiting in earnest for the Roaches fell race to return in the autumn!

Now there's a race to put hairs on your chest...

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Llani, seeing your obvious location from your posts, you are no doubt waiting in earnest for the Roaches fell race to return in the autumn!

Now there's a race to put hairs on your chest...
    I've done the route but never done the race Travs. A lovely part of the world.

It always falls on the same date as my local race, Leg it Round Lathkill which starts around 300yds from my door!

I do hope to do it sometime so maybe this year, especially if dates change, as I suspect some might do, due to venue availability.

I've done it three times, but similarly for me, it regularly clashes with the opening Birmingham League Cross Country fixture.

Last time i did the race i doubled up with the XC on the saturday... managed a pb by around 15mins on the sunday at Roaches, but seriously i don't think i'll ever consider doing that again...!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

When you weigh as little as I do...[/I]
    Have you told us?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

The snow and ice has gone today, went to shed to get bike out and the heavens opened, no biking today, I'm not geared for february monsoon

weather. Went for walk/ jog instead and came home like a drowned rat. But at least I hadn't been blown off my 🚲 👍.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.