Page 706 of 847 FirstFirst ... 206606656696704705706707708716756806 ... LastLast
Results 7,051 to 7,060 of 8464

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by millipede View Post
    That's what my dad always taught me. Is it not true?
    Well of course your dad was right - as long as your mother was in complete agreement.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    I bought my Cube 29er from a European web site as it was about £30 cheaper than buying in the UK. t.
    When Citroën made cars of engineering distinction (like the SM with a Maserati engine) and were not badged Peugeots and it was cheaper to import directly from Europe I flew to France to collect a car from Citroën HQ in the heart of Paris, having paid in advance and the financial side having been sorted out by an "agent" in Scotland. The guy who gave me the keys in the basement garage indicated that there was virtually NO diesel in the car tank but did direct me to a filling station a few streets away. I found it but it had sold out of diesel.

The car in front of me by the diesel pumps shot off and I decided to follow his bumper. He zipped round l’Arc d’Triomphe as only a Paris driver can and I closed my eyes and followed a meter from his rear lights and he delivered us both to another filling station with some diesel. So all good fun and I drove back to England with my French red TT registration plates.

A few months later I got a call from the police in Scotland asking if I had imported a car and had I actually got the vehicle etc. and when I said that I had they lost interest but did tell me that some customers had paid but had not got their cars and they were on the trail of the "agents" who had run off with a significant amount of customers' money.

All a part of life's rich tapestry.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 10-02-2021 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    I bought my Cube 29er from a European web site as it was about £30 cheaper than buying in the UK. Of course I didn't realise that the brake levers would be the opposite way round to the standard UK setup with the rear on the left. Hydraulic disc brakes are not the easiest things to maintain yourself so I kidded myself it would be ok. A near miss of going over the handlebars on a steep downhill proved otherwise and so a trip to the local bike shop was in order which subsequently cost a lot more than the money I saved on the purchase. Lesson learnt.
    Last autumn Rose bikes (german) ceased selling their bikes to UK customers because by law they had to switch the brakes around for our market and it was not cost effective with their build costs.
    Looking on their website today I notice they are now blaming Brexit and the trade agreement (or lack of?) for not shipping to UK. Hmmm, not the reason they gave a few months ago. So not buying one of theirs now!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    When Citroën made cars of engineering distinction (like the SM with a Maserati engine) and were not badged Peugeots and it was cheaper to import directly from Europe I flew to France to collect a car from Citroën HQ in the heart of Paris, having paid in advance and the financial side having been sorted out by an "agent" in Scotland. The guy who gave me the keys in the basement garage indicated that there was virtually NO diesel in the car tank but did direct me to a filling station a few streets away. I found it but it had sold out of diesel.

The car in front of me by the diesel pumps shot off and I decided to follow his bumper. He zipped round l’Arc d’Triomphe as only a Paris driver can and I closed my eyes and followed a meter from his rear lights and he delivered us both to another filling station with some diesel. So all good fun and I drove back to England with my French red TT registration plates.

A few months later I got a call from the police in Scotland asking if I had imported a car and had I actually got the vehicle etc. and when I said that I had they lost interest but did tell me that some customers had paid but had not got their cars and they were on the trail of the "agents" who had run off with a significant amount of customers' money.

All a part of life's rich tapestry.
    I'm sure you would not have referred to the experience as "All a part of life's rich tapestry" if you were one of those who did not receive a car, Graham.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I remember that when I was given my first bicycle, I was warned that if I used my front brake without first applying the rear brake I risked going over the handlebars. More than 50 years later, I still always apply the rear brake first.
    Apart from cyclocross spills my enduring "over the handlebars" moment is one that I can clearly remember as if it was yesterday.

I was twelve or thirteen and my best mate Daf and I were both on my bike going to the river to check our night lines. We used to hang our wellies, which were tied together with a bit of string, over the handlebars despite having been told by my dad numerous times not to do it.

We were going along the Trefeglwys Road into town and overtaking a car and caravan around 20mph when all of a sudden, as we were passing the War Memorial Hospital, I was flying through the air and then landing in a heap tangled up with Daf, the bike and the wellies.

Yes, you've guessed correctly that the wellies had jammed themselves in the front forks. I couldn't open my mouth and there was blood pouring out of my chin. Daf had pain in his neck and arm. We were assisted the 30 yds into the hospital where on arrival we were bollocked by the Matron who was stood in the entrance, but at least her corgi didn't bite us.

As we were being patched up my dad arrived and we got a "told you so" and another bollocking. I ended up
    with a chipped jaw, which I can still feel and a few stitches and Daf had a broken wrist.

Lesson learned, the hard way!

I know that stretch of the A38 well as i've worked on numerous projects around Lichfield and Burton.

I certainly would not consider cycling along it!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

I then proceeded to ride the rest of the journey as if nothing had happened.
    Such sprezzatura

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I know that stretch of the A38 well as i've worked on numerous projects around Lichfield and Burton.

I certainly would not consider cycling along it!
    I would also avoid riding on that sort of dual carriageway normally. I do on rare occasions ride short stretches of the A46 between minor road turnings on rides to the east of Loughborough; but there is a cycling club in Leicester which uses that road for their weekly time trials (or at least they did before lockdown). Never mind the danger (and a straight dual carriageway may actually be less dangerous than many single-carriageway A roads); it would just seem to me a really unpleasant experience.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Interestingly, which side the brake levers are on stems from which side of the road we drive on. The rear brake generally is the favoured one for single handed operation and you can do all hand signals as per the UK highway code with your right hand as a car driver would only have that option. I do wonder how many would understand a left turn signal with my right arm in this day and age where even using car indicators seems to have become a thing of the past.

Interesting that the Italians favoured the British arrangement.

Todays beautiful sunshine enticed me out on the Moda just before lunch but boy it was cold.

Out to Chelmorton, Brierlow Bar,Earl Sterndale and down the length of Long Dale before returning to Earl Sterndale. My plan was to return home but I felt that I had not had enough hills so I continued up the single track road that leads up to and past High Edge Raceway onto the A53 at Axe Edge. The road had a small strip of tarmac visible for most of it but blowing snow in places covered some icy stretches but my Continental 4 Seasons gave plenty of grip. Had to dismount twice, the first time to cross an icy cattle grid and the other to walk a 30 yard icy uphill section.
    Once on the A53 a cold descent to the Harpur Hill turnoff and through that village back to Brierlow Bar and back home via Horse Lane.

A bitterly cold 45 miles, 4,006 feet in 3 hrs 18 min. No other cyclists seen.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 11-02-2021 at 08:32 PM.