Page 709 of 846 FirstFirst ... 209609659699707708709710711719759809 ... LastLast
Results 7,081 to 7,090 of 8460

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

I'm probably on about 6 pairs. Some old, some only for races, some with bigger studs than others. Having said that I also have three and half bikes (although one is now solely a turbo trainer). This seems a lot for someone who's average weekly cycling mileage is probably less than 15.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    A fancy bike that started off modestly in 1979, but has been updated and updated (I'm now on the third frame).
    Same bike, but it's on the third frame? Like the axe that has had its head replaced five times and its shaft replaced three times, but it's still the same old axe?

At least my 1984 bike still has the original frame, and also the original rear carrier, although everything else (including the fork) has been replaced at least once.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Amateurs the pair of you

I've got 7 different types: XC spikes, Track spikes, Trail, Road, Barefoot, Fell and Training shoes and I'm not able to run anymore! I will have to have a stock-take, but it's over 10 pairs as I've got at least two of most of the above.

One day soon I'll go through the shoe cupboard, aka the extensive racking above the downstairs toilet, to give you the definitive figure for your amusement
    Crikey... i've got some catching up to do.

My older fell shoes double up for tamer trail stuff and grass sessions, as well as slower/easier fell stuff.

My newer "race" fell shoes double up for cross country races too.

Road shoes for everything else, including all track sessions and races.

A spin on the Scott Solace road bike today after the mist lifted around midday. A surprisingly strong headwind out to Brierlow Bar and then to Glutton Bridge, Longnor and Hollinsclough. I had forgotten how steep Hollinsclough Wall is, the warning triangle say's 20% but over the half mile distance it is nearer 25% in places, my front wheel lifting as I had to stay seated because of patches of hardpacked ice, which made me twitch a bit.
    Anyway, safely up to Flash Bar stores and on to Flash where on the descent to Flash Bottom it started to rain and suddenly went very cold. Fortunately I was quickly past the Bald Stone and climbing up to The Winking Man which warmed me up a bit. Across the A53 and coldly downhill in the rain taking a right to Newtown where the rain stopped and the sun came out again.

Along to Warslow, Hartington and Long Dale to Earl Sterndale and then home via Flagg and Monyash. An enjoyable ride on the Scott but I wished I had taken my Moda with its mudguards as there was far more running and standing water about than I was expecting.

A total of 50 miles, 5,338 feet in 3hrs 39 min.

This cycling seems to be keeping my running legs injury free at the moment, which is why I do it, as I was able to get three 6 mile runs in last week without any after effects. The trick now is to up my running and reduce the bike miles.

No other cyclist seen, which surprised me.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 16-02-2021 at 12:16 AM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I’m a bit of a frustrated cyclist and a super frustrated non-runner at the minute. Even though I work from home, it’s been difficult to get out on the bike for long in daylight during the week and, due to Siberian weather conditions, the two really long ride outs planned for the last two Saturdays were both knocked on the head.

Meanwhile my knee of doom is not progressing nearly fast enough for me to recommence running yet. I did try out a couple of two mile runs last week and, although I was able to jog along, the knee wasn’t super great unfortunately.

On a more positive note, my inov8 terra ultra running shoes are perfect for gravel biking . I’ve instructed my wife to bump me on the head if I show any interest at all in those awful (often hi viz yellow) cleated cycling clogs and fitted peddles. I’m only prepared to go so far as a cyclist

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    A spin on the Scott Solace road bike today
    I'd been looking at Scott road bikes for my move, as they seem well regarded, they have a decent stockist here in Cov, and i like their running gear.

However i think i'm probably going to stick with my Dawes hybrid bike for now, and probably upgrade to a decent electric road bike when i feel the need...

sacrilege to some, no doubt... but i'll just be interested in getting around by cycle to the start of local runs/races with a smaller amount of effort, rather than being pure!

Although the Scott Electric bikes appear to be a bit over what i'd be willing to pay.

Like you I also rate their running gear, especially shoes. They are a very innovative company started by Ed Scott in the USA, when he invented the aluminium ski pole in 1958. I think they are now based in Switzerland.

As for electric bikes, if I got one presently, it would be as a means of transport rather than for exercise but hopefully that is a long way off.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I've had 2 pairs of Scott running shoes, comfiest shoes I have had and certainly suit my feet. I also use them for cycling as I haven't progressed to those clogs yet.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    I’m a bit of a frustrated cyclist and a super frustrated non-runner at the minute. Even though I work from home, it’s been difficult to get out on the bike for long in daylight during the week....
    Problem solved; I’ve now attached my trusty Hope R4 light, which I’ve had for years but only used as a running headtorch.

Until now

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    Problem solved; I’ve now attached my trusty Hope R4 light, which I’ve had for years but only used as a running headtorch.

Until now
    Ah! Nothing but the best.

Now you really need to consider SPD pedals which work with a very low cleated subtle shoe which you can walk through Tesco in looking smooth, sophisticated and athletic (ie without show-pony,clip clop) past the swooning staff - and make you go faster!

I know you are a man who expects to have it all
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".