Page 710 of 846 FirstFirst ... 210610660700708709710711712720760810 ... LastLast
Results 7,091 to 7,100 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Ah! Nothing but the best.

Now you really need to consider SPD pedals which work with a very low cleated subtle shoe which you can walk through Tesco in looking smooth, sophisticated and athletic (ie without show-pony,clip clop) past the swooning staff - and make you go faster!

I know you are a man who expects to have it all
    And what would these look like, just if perhaps I was interested in purchasing such a thing? If I am going to wear clogs I need some I can walk about in when my bike breaks in middle of nowhere.
    Also rather take to the idea of staff swooning about whenever I walk past.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

I have a pair of these (SPD cleat mountain bike shoes) for when I'm cycling to the train station but then need to walk across Manchester. Not quite stylish, but I don't look like I'm wearing cycling shoes.

On my Arkose cross/gravel bike I have fitted Shimano SPD M324 mountain bike pedals. They are flat on one side and the other side takes a SPD mountain bike shoe cleat, as mentioned by Noel.

Not the lightest but very versatile in that you can be clipped in for when you want to give it the beans on one side and the other is perfect for a pootle in a pair of pair of trainers or even wellies!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    And what would these look like, just if perhaps I was interested in purchasing such a thing? If I am going to wear clogs I need some I can walk about in when my bike breaks in middle of nowhere.
    Also rather take to the idea of staff swooning about whenever I walk past.
    SHIMANO RP1 ROAD SHOES are as simple as shoes get. Nominally £70 but can be found for £50 depending on size required. SPD cleats are around £15 but generic copies around half that.

Of course you can easily spend £450 on shoes if you want a few bells and whistles...

You might want a pedal like Llani Boy mentions with SPD cleat compatibility on one side and something flattish on the other but once you are used to cleated pedals you will never want to go back (and people usually only fall off twice). Cleats make you "one" with the bike. The bike becomes part of you. It's a marriage,etc etc!
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 16-02-2021 at 05:58 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    On this occasion Graham I have to disagree with you. Conventional 'old school' pedals, with toeclips, are the most versatile solution, as you can ride the bike in anything.

Clip-in pedals are great if you're 'hard-core', but for more occasional riders and people who like to stop and look at views, wildlife etc, I don't believe they're the right answer.

When I started racing cycling it was before clip-in pedals, so it was all toeclips and straps. I have to say that although I now ride with clip-in pedals, (I'm now back in the 'hard-core' category), I've been disappointed with them, and even for me the benefits are marginal. If I was thinking of doing a touring holiday with camping and walking I'd put the old pedals and toeclips back on.
    Apples and pears. I accept cleats aren't too good for crossing ploughed fields 'cos the cleats get clogged but if you are crossing ploughed fields with your bike then you are beyond mere "hard-core" and into sludge-sliding?

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    On this occasion Graham I have to disagree with you. Conventional 'old school' pedals, with toeclips, are the most versatile solution, as you can ride the bike in anything.

Clip-in pedals are great if you're 'hard-core', but for more occasional riders and people who like to stop and look at views, wildlife etc, I don't believe they're the right answer.
    It's reassuring to know that my choice of toeclips rather than clip-ins is indeed appropriate for the sort of cycling I do.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

It is noticeable that if you watch lycra-clad cyclists, on expensive bikes, in an urban setting you will see that when they reach traffic lights on red they will balance, hold on to railings or lampposts, or even proceed at very low speed past the red light.
    I passed a couple of cyclists today with toe-clips. Well I had to didn't I? I need hardly add they were very old. And later at a traffic light I was doing my best track stand when, just as the lights changed to green, I noticed a £2 coin by my front wheel. What a quandry! Put a foot down or zoom away and forgo £2? Well we all have our price. It reminded me of the time I found 3 1xEuro coins on the climb up to the Cow and Calf. I don't suppose I would have noticed going down the hill at 40mph but at 4 mph - not really a problem. I knew there would be a benefit for admitting foreigners into my lovely town.

Anyway the thought of a £2 material gain made my standard Harewood House loop most joyous today and I even added a diversion through Wike to celebrate.

Obviously there could be no thought of a PB today - stopping at every traffic light seeking more coins of the realm did for that - but 38 miles (1900ft)without a trace of snow made me think Spring must be nearly here.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 17-02-2021 at 07:33 PM.

I recall staggering up the pathless eastern flanks of Tryfan in a foul mood and with a hangover, and a £10 note drifted along in front of me... needless to say i was a little cheered up!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I recall staggering up the pathless eastern flanks of Tryfan in a foul mood and with a hangover, and a £10 note drifted along in front of me... needless to say i was a little cheered up!
    I was on the Heather Terrace that day Travs.

If its got a picture of the Queen on its mine!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

this was quite a way below the Heather Terrace actually, so I think I'll keep it (although it was quickly spent in the Bryn Tyrch soon after the walk!)

Incidentally, you mentioned your clubs subs for the year... Our notification came through this evening... With the subs halved to take into account last year's debacle, and potential disruption this year...

However being the fine upstanding citizen that I am, I'll pay the full whack...