Page 721 of 847 FirstFirst ... 221621671711719720721722723731771821 ... LastLast
Results 7,201 to 7,210 of 8464

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Sorry to disappoint Noel but definitely hail.

It hurt and there was certainly no soft centre!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

90% of my bike rides are bi-nation. Its almost impossible to cycle from my house on a circular route that does not cross the border. On or off road. Still, I've never been shot or had to leap over razor wire so I've got one up on Steve McQueen!

After THAT rugby match a couple of weeks back I'd make sure you have your helmet strapped on tight, in case those pesky English get their slingshots out and chase you back over Offas dyke.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Prompted by millipede's reference to the old Skipton - Colne track bed I decided to treat my Adventure bike to a day out in the hail and the wind and the misery. Millipede described the section she did as a bit "puddley" (sic). I think she meant puddly but she is a schoolteacher so we mustn't judge her too harshly.

Puddly (or "puddley") does not adequately describe the river I encountered flowing down a cutting between Carleton and Elslack - but rain does do that to abandoned undrained railway track beds. But intrepid being my middle name on I plunged for a total of 33 miles 1800 feet.

The sort of ride (or at some points - walk) one enjoys more in the shower than when one was on the saddle, and tomorrow is another day.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Wow reading Graham's post highlights how soft I am��.
    Raining, so the best I managed was 1hr on the turbo, medium intensity, on the outdoor patio.

No ride for me yesterday or today, weather too grim and not safe for my peddling. Today was strong winds gusting far too hard for my liking, interspersed with hail storms.
    I went for a walk on the hills instead and was caught in a snow storm, no way I would have stayed upright in that wind.

I watch cycling on Eurosport and today at Paris-Nice (Stage 6) Primož Roglič blasted past Gino Mäder in the last 50 metres to win his third stage: absolutely ruthless.

Roglič is the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Prompted by millipede's reference to the old Skipton - Colne track bed I decided to treat my Adventure bike to a day out in the hail and the wind and the misery. Millipede described the section she did as a bit "puddley" (sic). I think she meant puddly but she is a schoolteacher so we mustn't judge her too harshly.

Puddly (or "puddley") does not adequately describe the river I encountered flowing down a cutting between Carleton and Elslack - but rain does do that to abandoned undrained railway track beds. But intrepid being my middle name on I plunged for a total of 33 miles 1800 feet.

The sort of ride (or at some points - walk) one enjoys more in the shower than when one was on the saddle, and tomorrow is another day.

Oh my goodness. I'm glad I didn't miss this post.

You did choose to ride it after a week of solid rain when running across fields has been unpleasant, even for a fellrunner.

We did it after a dry patch! Although the land rover bit is always a lake.

Hope you didn't call me too many rude words during....

Quote Originally Posted by millipede View Post

Oh my goodness. I'm glad I didn't miss this post.

You did choose to ride it after a week of solid rain when running across fields has been unpleasant, even for a fellrunner.

We did it after a dry patch! Although the land rover bit is always a lake.

Hope you didn't call me too many rude words during....
    "Oh Fragrant Emily" was never far from my lips.

There is an old railway height gauge near the "puddle" and I wish now I had taken a photograph to show my grandchildren - "it was here I nearly drowned".

Thoroughly miserable ride today, ground up the forestry in wind and cold, after an hour the rain started and wind increased to a level that was dodgy. Cut the ride short then and headed back down the hill - brakes hard on to avoid being dumped in a ditch, very pleased to make it back to the valley (wet and very cold) in one piece. 31k and 810m, not a soul about and saw maybe 2 cars. There was still pockets of snow in the forestry from yesterday - is the weather like this everywhere?