Page 730 of 846 FirstFirst ... 230630680720728729730731732740780830 ... LastLast
Results 7,291 to 7,300 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I went north today, into the northerly wind. After a brief diversion to see Eglantine vineyard, at one time the most northerly commercial winery in the world, I arrived at Cotgrave via the delightful narrow lane through Clipston-on-the-Wolds. Decided that I should start curving round to the south, but half a mile further on there was a sign for a cycle route off to the north, and my curiosity got the better of me. It went along the former Cotgrave colliery railway line, taking me to Holme Pierrepont; I have been to the Water Sports Centre once before, but never along the lane past the 16th-century Hall, which looks quite impressive even seen peering through a gap in the hedge. A faster return home, via the southern suburbs of Nottingham and then through Gotham and Sutton Bonington. About 42 miles, my longest ride so far this year.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Very good.

Should perhaps be pedalling though?!?

Nice to see someone deliberately sowing confusion about peddling/pedalling, as if there isn't enough confusion already (on this Forum and everywhere else).
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Cinelli also developed the Spinaci handle bar extension to help riders adopt a time trial, arms out, aerodynamic position. However the UCI felt a rider's hands were too far from the brakes and banned them.

In 1997

Since when riders have still ridden with arms out in front resting them on the bars so the UCI has now banned this riding position from 1st April.

April 2021, that is.
    Haven't they also banned that sitting on the cross bar/top tube malarkey as well Graham?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Wot! No more croggies! Health and Safety gone mad
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Haven't they also banned that sitting on the cross bar/top tube malarkey as well Graham?
    Yep. Only legal contact points are now bars, pedals and seat.

But it is going to be interesting in the interpretation.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 02-04-2021 at 10:17 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I tried it once, after seeing it on the television in a race, and nearly came a cropper.

I was flying down the hill towards Monsal Head and crouched down on the top tube, frightened myself, and as I tried to get back up a pocket on the back of my jersey got snagged on the nose of my saddle and I was stuck!

I recall getting a bit of a wobble on before eventually managing to bring myself to a halt and then nearly falling off as I couldn't twist my foot out of my pedals quickly enough due to the angle of my legs/ankles. A dry stone wall saved any blushes I had left.

What a prat!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

So I set off to Pateley Bridge to do one or two killer climbs but after 20 miles of a head, bitterly cold, wind the flesh was weak and I turned left at Greenhow towards Grassington instead of right, towards Pateley B. I stopped at Dibble Bridge and I confirm there is now a steel mesh fence anchored above the bridge parapet to stop cyclists hurtling over the wall to drop into the river ravine. Having said that hitting a steel fence approaching 40 mph is not to be recommended.

Having got to Threshfield and turning south I felt racked with guilt and travelled through Cracoe, Hetton, Winterburn, Gargrave, Bolton Bridge and as penance did the vicious Beamsley Beacon climb ending up at 51 miles, 4600 feet, max pulse 146, max speed of 37mph and a total of 107 miles in two rides this week.

Not many cyclists out but I saw hundreds of fat men on Harleys and assorted Japanese machines. etc.

Here Comes Summer!
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 02-04-2021 at 11:41 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    From your first paragraph I was expecting you to say it was a curly Hetchins frame, (one for older readers and cycling aficionados), so I was a little disappointed too.
    This comment got me googling, and I discovered that there is a website for historic Hetchins bikes (Hetchins.org), and a Hetchins register. So now my (straight) Hetchins frame (fitted with Cinelli handlebars) has been entered on the Hetchins register.
    Jorge Luis Borges

15km loop before dinner on the tandem. Up to Forest Chapel which is reached via one of Cheshire's toughest climbs. However, we went the easy way round - maybe next time.

49 hilly miles today on my second group outing since restrictions eased slightly. 5500 ft of climbing from Gisburn to Clapham over Cross of Greet. Return via Lawkland and Wham on very quiet but poor roads in places. Great day out although a bit chilly first thing. Will be glad when cafes can operate normally. My raynauds needs a warm cafe stop to keep under control. ❄️❄️