Page 737 of 783 FirstFirst ... 237637687727735736737738739747 ... LastLast
Results 7,361 to 7,370 of 7824

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Haven't they also banned that sitting on the cross bar/top tube malarkey as well Graham?
    Yep. Only legal contact points are now bars, pedals and seat.

But it is going to be interesting in the interpretation.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 02-04-2021 at 10:17 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I tried it once, after seeing it on the television in a race, and nearly came a cropper.

I was flying down the hill towards Monsal Head and crouched down on the top tube, frightened myself, and as I tried to get back up a pocket on the back of my jersey got snagged on the nose of my saddle and I was stuck!

I recall getting a bit of a wobble on before eventually managing to bring myself to a halt and then nearly falling off as I couldn't twist my foot out of my pedals quickly enough due to the angle of my legs/ankles. A dry stone wall saved any blushes I had left.

What a prat!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

So I set off to Pateley Bridge to do one or two killer climbs but after 20 miles of a head, bitterly cold, wind the flesh was weak and I turned left at Greenhow towards Grassington instead of right, towards Pateley B. I stopped at Dibble Bridge and I confirm there is now a steel mesh fence anchored above the bridge parapet to stop cyclists hurtling over the wall to drop into the river ravine. Having said that hitting a steel fence approaching 40 mph is not to be recommended.

Having got to Threshfield and turning south I felt racked with guilt and travelled through Cracoe, Hetton, Winterburn, Gargrave, Bolton Bridge and as penance did the vicious Beamsley Beacon climb ending up at 51 miles, 4600 feet, max pulse 146, max speed of 37mph and a total of 107 miles in two rides this week.

Not many cyclists out but I saw hundreds of fat men on Harleys and assorted Japanese machines. etc.

Here Comes Summer!
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 02-04-2021 at 11:41 PM.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    From your first paragraph I was expecting you to say it was a curly Hetchins frame, (one for older readers and cycling aficionados), so I was a little disappointed too.
    This comment got me googling, and I discovered that there is a website for historic Hetchins bikes (Hetchins.org), and a Hetchins register. So now my (straight) Hetchins frame (fitted with Cinelli handlebars) has been entered on the Hetchins register.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

15km loop before dinner on the tandem. Up to Forest Chapel which is reached via one of Cheshire's toughest climbs. However, we went the easy way round - maybe next time.

49 hilly miles today on my second group outing since restrictions eased slightly. 5500 ft of climbing from Gisburn to Clapham over Cross of Greet. Return via Lawkland and Wham on very quiet but poor roads in places. Great day out although a bit chilly first thing. Will be glad when cafes can operate normally. My raynauds needs a warm cafe stop to keep under control. ❄️❄️

Quote Originally Posted by Also Ran View Post
    49 hilly miles today on my second group outing since restrictions eased slightly. 5500 ft of climbing from Gisburn to Clapham over Cross of Greet. Return via Lawkland and Wham on very quiet but poor roads in places. Great day out although a bit chilly first thing. Will be glad when cafes can operate normally. My raynauds needs a warm cafe stop to keep under control. ❄️❄️
    Ha! My son took our bikes, so we could together do Cross of Greet and Bowland Knotts, on his car roof but we arrived late, the weather was grim, he announced he had to get back quickly to pick up his son from school, he had told me the wrong bike to bring and he rode virtually the entire ride 300 yards in front of me.

For nine months afterwards I refused to ride with him although the following week I went back on my own and enjoyed the ride by not having to wonder if he had completely disappeared back to his car and left me behind!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Excellent. My respect for you has grown even more in the knowledge that you actually own a Hetchins.
    Your disrespect for me would probably start growing if you saw the present condition of the bike. I actually had it renovated (by Mercian Cycles) in 2004, when it was 19 years old. Another 17 years on, it looks in need of the same treatment again.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Ha! My son took our bikes, so we could together do Cross of Greet and Bowland Knotts, on his car roof but we arrived late, the weather was grim, he announced he had to get back quickly to pick up his son from school, he had told me the wrong bike to bring and he rode virtually the entire ride 300 yards in front of me.

For nine months afterwards I refused to ride with him although the following week I went back on my own and enjoyed the ride by not having to wonder if he had completely disappeared back to his car and left me behind!
    I was trying to work out why you were riding on the car roof!�� It’s certainly a tough circuit, but on a day like today very enjoyable.

A fantastic, and really quite a toughy, 21 mile 2,700 feet, bike ride for us yesterday starting from Ribblehead. Our route taking in Ribblehead -> Dentdale -> Deepdale -> Kingsdale -> Twistleton -> Chapel le Dale -> Ribblehead

The first third of the route was following the ‘Dales Highway’ which, apart from one beautifully grassy stretch, is a bouldery track where in some places extra boulders have been added to compensate for the bits where there aren’t so many boulders . To be fair apart from a couple of places where we had to just carry the bikes or push them, it was all fairly doable but for sure the last mile descending down into Dentdale was a gnarly, high concentration, high grip, bone shaker. (Fellsmanners among you will recognise this track as in reverse it’s the climb out of Dentdale until that route hacks off towards Blea Moor at the dilapidated shooting hut)

Once down into Dentdale, which I always think of as a beautiful and quiet shangri la corner of the Dales, we then almost immediately swerved left into Deepdale heading for Kingsdale... and a humdinger of a climb out of Deepdale that really blew all our fuses. I forgot to wear my heart rate monitor which is a shame but Hester remembered hers and registered a damn fine 176 bpm on the climb. Which was then followed by a fast but beautiful cruise down through Kingsdale to get our breath back. Kingsdale another beautiful and rarely visited part of the Dales

We then briefly went off road again over the track under Twistleton and bought a must needed coke and packet of Pom bears from the little back of the car shop set up by Cave Rescue (just before the ice cream van which itself was just before a little coffee take out hut), all there to catch passing trade of Ingleton Waterfall Trail walkers, of which there seemed to be many

Then, now on our final stretch, it was Oddies Lane, underneath Twistleton Scars to Chapel le Dale and then the main road, our only bit of main roading, for the final couple of miles back to the van parked up at Ribblehead
    Last edited by Fellbeast; 04-04-2021 at 08:30 AM.