Page 748 of 846 FirstFirst ... 248648698738746747748749750758798 ... LastLast
Results 7,471 to 7,480 of 8460

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Following the recent mention I have dug out an old photo, from 1994, of me leading the charge down the 2500ft descent to the summit of the Col du Tourmalet from the 2877m high Pic du Midi de Bigorre

I remember it vividly as it was a CTC (now known as Cycling UK) tour, with ex racing cyclists from the UK and the USA. That big grey mass behind me is not a fluffy white cloud, it's a storm cloud - at nearly 9500ft. Regular readers will know I don't profess to having many talents, but I am able to spot bad weather and know what to do if you are able to - put on all your gear and get off the hill as fast as possible.

All of the Americans followed me down the Tourmalet at over 90km/h. The British riders ignored my advice and had a very dangerous descent in thunder, lightning, hail and torrential rain, whilst we out ran it and enjoyed the warm sunshine in the valley
    Well I'm impressed.

I have cycled and run up the Tourmalet from Luz St Sauveur many times but did neither up that road.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Great photo, Marco!

The return of this fell running lark is no reason to give up good, wholesome bike riding so today I did a round 50 miles via Hellifield, Horton in Craven (near Gisburn), Carleton, Skipton and the Murder Mile up Brunthwaite Lane from near Silsden. It was a total of 3200 feet of which Strava only credits 497 feet (9.2%) to the Murder Mile (of which 0.19 mile is 124 feet or 12.2%). The other climbing must have accumulated over Yorkshire's rolling hills that had passed unnoticed.

If ones times it properly one can arrive in Hellifield just as the several times a week steam engine excursions pause to take on water en route to the honey-trap, Settle - Carlisle line. These trips are very popular, very expensive (one last week, including meals, was from £379 per person) and are basically a long train journey. Today's trip included a scheduled wait of 1 hour 18 minutes in a Hellifield siding while the diesel and steam engines were shunted about [35018 British India Line plus a 47 and a 57 diesel]. One train needs three locomotives? Maybe £379 is a bargain?

However the real highlight of today's ride was bumping into Vanessa Peacock who arrived with biking chums to enjoy the delights of the Hellifield Station Cafe - after dashing down the platform with bike (a touring Scott) to view British India Line - which survives by catering for the 100 or so railway enthusiasts who turn out several times a week to savour some steam.

I made some reference to her all-conquering fell running days,which modest as ever, she brushed aside. A lovely person to run with, as was Tony whom I chased up and down mountains for many, sometimes painful, hours.

All in all - a really nice nostalgic day.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 04-06-2021 at 10:14 AM.

As you can no longer go, by any means by the looks of it, up the track from the top of the Col du Tourmalet, here is the view you are missing from just above 2500m looking South towards Spain. And this is a photo I did take

The white-looking cloud to the far left was not friendly, and two seconds later we were engulfed in cloud, with visibility down below 50m
    Very impressive.

Remember those far off days when voluminous lungs and tireless thighs would waft you to the highest summits permitting a fearless plunge back down, vanquishing all around you?

Yah, well, I've discovered the senior equivalent. Arsing about all day on an eMTB in the Forest of Dean. They really are the most fun you can have with your trousers on!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Remember those far off days when voluminous lungs and tireless thighs would waft you to the highest summits permitting a fearless plunge back down, vanquishing all around you?

Yah, well, I've discovered the senior equivalent. Arsing about all day on an eMTB in the Forest of Dean. They really are the most fun you can have with your trousers on!
    Rod t' Rally leading the way ��? Bet you and Rod never saw this coming 30 years ago ��.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

No, I really did not. At 62, I am the youngest and by far the slowest of a group of geriatric hooligans tearing up the tracks. Rod has ZERO sense of fear. Its ridiculous. The only downside is that, sometimes, its a bit like Last of The Summer Wine on two wheels...except we all wanna be Compo!

The funniest thing was watching our most senior member, Stan, who must be 75 if he's a day, mucking about in the skills park with a load of teenagers. From a distance you could not see who was who as they all trashed the berms and jumped the bumps!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

I was feeling off-roady on Friday evening and had time for a swift scoot up to Hull Pot and back following Horton Scar Lane, aka the Pennine Way. Its a bit of a rubble fest in places but nothing my bike can't handle. This is a gopro chest cam video of my pb blast back to home - it took just under 12 minutes to do the 2 miles and circa 500 feet of descent, but don't worry I've edited down to two and a half minutes. Apologies for the huffing and puffing at the start but I'd just cycled up there

Last edited by Fellbeast; 06-06-2021 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    I was feeling off-roady on Friday evening and had time for a swift scoot up to Hull Pot and back following Horton Scar Lane, aka the Pennine Way. Its a bit of a rubble fest in places but nothing my bike can't handle. This is a gopro chest cam video of my pb blast back to home - it took just under 12 minutes to do the 2 miles and circa 500 feet of descent, but don't worry I've edited down to two and a half minutes. Apologies for the huffing and puffing at the start but I'd just cycled up there

That looks horrible. That kind of riding gave me cartilage damage in my wrists.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

The bad news is that I've had 5 big slides (but stayed on every time) and countless cases of wheelspin, which is concerning for a lightweight, low-power, rider.
    Traffic film. It only really occurs in winter, i've never had a slide on a wet summer road.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent