Page 751 of 774 FirstFirst ... 251651701741749750751752753761 ... LastLast
Results 7,501 to 7,510 of 7733

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Amstel Gold Women

Never let it be said...that whilst weeding the garden is usually more exciting than watching women's road racing it was pretty damn good to see Marianne Vos (admittedly the greatest female rider of all time) overhaul two top riders - including the winner of the last Amstel Gold - neither of whom would lead out and so lost out.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Amstel Gold Women

Never let it be said...that whilst weeding the garden is usually more exciting than watching women's road racing it was pretty damn good to see Marianne Vos (admittedly the greatest female rider of all time) overhaul two top riders - including the winner of the last Amstel Gold - neither of whom would lead out and so lost out.
    Yes Graham, they got what they deserved - nothing.

van Aert, Pidcock and Schachmann nearly cocked it up too.

But they didn't!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I don't usually go on themed cycle rides. However, many years ago I noticed the concentration of villages with names ending in "stone" in the area between Ashby-de-la-Zouch and Market Bosworth, and today I eventually went out for a ride visiting the Ten Stones of West Leicestershire: Thringstone, Ravenstone, Swepstone, Snarestone, Shackerstone, Bilstone, Congerstone, Odstone, Nailstone, Barlestone.

A slightly convoluted route, especially since I didn't want to retrace my route at any point. Also, it left most of the significant hills to the final section, coming home from Barlestone; which was also into the wind (although that wasn't very strong). About 40 miles altogether.
    Are you able to enlighten us as to why such a high concentration of villages have names ending in 'stone' in this area?

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Deafenin' All Over the World wasn't even one of their songs - John Fogerty wrote it

It's very simple though, Mr B, you've just got to ride greater than 15.5mph to stop this sort of thing happening and letting the side down
    I was doing about 22mph at the time, 53/16 or therabouts. He came past at over 30mph by my reckoning, in a hail of tyre roar and stadium rock. I was half expecting to see him pushing it along the Burley-in-wharfedale bypass with a flat battery.
    Can't climb for toffee...

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Are you able to enlighten us as to why such a high concentration of villages have names ending in 'stone' in this area?
    No, I haven't a clue. It doesn't seem to be a particularly stony area.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Could it be that they derived from "ton". Farm or hamlet (apparently): https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/...h-place-names/

There are a few examples where subsequent civilisations have added their word for settlement on the end of the existing name. So you can get places like [something]tonville.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Could it be that they derived from "ton". Farm or hamlet (apparently): https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/...h-place-names/
    Quite possibly: between Nailstone and Barlestone, I cycled through Osbaston, which doesn't quite manage to be a "-stone" village.

There are a few examples where subsequent civilisations have added their word for settlement on the end of the existing name. So you can get places like [something]tonville.
    My favourite example of names being formed like this is Breedon-on-the-Hill: if you analyse the origins of this name, it means "Hill-Hill-on-the-Hill", with "Bree" coming from the same root as the Scottish "Brae", and "don" as in the "downs" of Southern England.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I was doing about 22mph at the time, 53/16 or therabouts. He came past at over 30mph by my reckoning, in a hail of tyre roar and stadium rock. I was half expecting to see him pushing it along the Burley-in-wharfedale bypass with a flat battery.
    It's just not right. Either he was a pro riding incognito, or he'd fiddled with his 'electrical assistance'. Is this the equivalent of drug cheating for e-bikes?

I think the second option is more likely and, having been passed and dropped on the M42 early one morning whilst driving just over 70mph (honestly offcer) by a HGV1, I think limiter technology cheating does go on.

Quite possibly: between Nailstone and Barlestone, I cycled through Osbaston, which doesn't quite manage to be a "-stone" village.
    My favourite example of names being formed like this is Breedon-on-the-Hill: if you analyse the origins of this name, it means "Hill-Hill-on-the-Hill", with "Bree" coming from the same root as the Scottish "Brae", and "don" as in the "downs" of Southern England.
    So I take it that these villages were really derived from 'ton', but the people of West Leicestershire, (or possibly a different county back then), couldn't spell.

I have known about 'Hill-Hill-on-the-hill' for some years, but in view of the fact that half of the hill has quite literally been quarried away, I have always thought it should be re-named to 'Half hill-Half hill-on-the-Half hill'

Worst of all I still haven't reached the top of the half hill, something I must remedy before it gets mentioned again!
    Last edited by Marco; 20-04-2021 at 06:40 PM.

Worst of all I still haven't reached the top of the half hill, something I must remedy before it gets mentioned again![/QUOTE]

Do it soon Marco before it too disappears and becomes No-Hill No-Hill on the No-Hill.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog