Page 751 of 846 FirstFirst ... 251651701741749750751752753761801 ... LastLast
Results 7,501 to 7,510 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    I am trying to imagine driving a car down a hill at 60mph and having a kamikaze rider on a pushbike pass you with ease. Obviously in a country without speed limits.
    Btw on youtube there are GCN interviews with around 20 World Tour riders (including Mark Cavendish) and an explanation of the physics of terminal velocity on a road bike. The venue of choice seems to be the Tour of Switzerland and TV seems to be around 130K (say 81mph).
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I once hit 50.4 mph on the steep A53 down past the Roaches (I remember because it is a 50 mph zone). I had similar thoughts about "what happens if..." and decided I shouldn't go that fast again. It wasn't so much about the polystyrene helmet, it was something I'd heard about motorcyclists crashing. I forget the numbers but it was something like, unless you're wearing the right kit, you lose Xcms of skin/flesh for every metre you slide.

Better cyclists must be much more inured to speed than I ever was. These days 30mph feels fast, and on the tandem I have a built-in safety system that tells me to slow down if we're going anywhere near fast.

I have one of those

So much so that I had to disconnect the rear drum brake that was controlled by the stoker...

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    on the tandem I have a built-in safety system that tells me to slow down if we're going anywhere near fast.

Hot, heavy cloud and humid, but planned a toddle up the hill. Which I managed with much sweat, stopped, turned around and did the classic novice with new clipless pedals mistake. Couldn't get my left foot in, stalled, wobbled and toppled over. Nobody watching 👍.
    Very bent rear ultegra, that lasted 3 rides before I bust it!!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    We have all done it I'm sure. I fell over at the bottom of my road, waiting at the junction to cross over and come home. Having to give way to a stream of cars, this initiated an attempted track stand which rapidly went pear shaped. A kind lady passer by helped me pick my bike and broken pride up off the tarmac and I scurried off home to lick my wounds.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I knew there was some reason why I have stuck with old-fashioned toeclips.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I once fell over with my feet clipped in, and fell onto another cyclist while we were all waiting at a traffic lights on a sportive (!!). He was very nice about it, but of course I kept seeing him again and again for the next four hours of riding. Lesson learned that day: unclip early!

First ride on the road bike in ages last night. 21km, 439m ascent, 53'45".

I got 17 PBs on Strava! Which shows how little cycling I've done in recent years.

Today took it apart and learnt all about bent rear mech hangers - could be a lot worse!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Of the three hills out of Settle, Simon Warren chooses to feature the one from Langcliffe Scar so this is the one I have done but my son has also done Albert Hill - one of the steep country roads out to Malham - so naturally.

I chose to start the ride from near Malham Tarn (Street Gate) which provided a route down Langcliffe Scar to Settle (during which I passed a nervous car driver) and then the longer of the climbs to the North out of Malham up to the Tarn. It was a hot day and was surprisingly busy for a working day Thursday.

Just a short gentle pootle round gorgeous North Yorkshire: 2180 feet of climb in 20 miles, maximum speed 39 mph, maximum pulse 143bpm.

Earlier I had noticed a (parked) WF Holdsworth steel bike, fixed wheel, just the one Weinmann brake, Brooks saddle to cut one in half, a huge saddle bag, Bluemels pump with the three coloured bands...it must have been 60 years old and, for the avoidance of doubt, I did not encounter this historical relic on any of the (allegedly) 20% climbs today.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 17-06-2021 at 08:40 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".