Page 754 of 847 FirstFirst ... 254654704744752753754755756764804 ... LastLast
Results 7,531 to 7,540 of 8461

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Today was a bike ride like no other. Heading up to the craven arms I caught up the back end and caravan of vehicles associated with the Ilkley HM near addingham, I decided to carefully roll through staying out of the way and thought this wouldn't be a problem as there were no runners in sight at the time. Next thing I know a pair of white vans come screwing past blasting the horns and pull up further on, the lads in them start shouting and carrying on at me for being on the race route, really quite abusive all in all. I'm quickly joined by other cyclists who've had the same treatment trying to do the same as me.

Not wanting to give up I decide to take a detour, the craven arms is calling. I cross the river by the suspension bridge in addingham, walk the bike up the lane and then drag the bike up the descent path used on the beamsley beacon race. I reach the track with the bike tangled in weeds, by pants scratched by thorns and my legs stung by nettles. Quick ride in first up the gravel track and short cut over the high route and drop back down to the low route near Bolton abbey. They let me push it along the event route up to the A59 where I get clear, it's only about a quarter mile.

I called in at the finish on the way back and had a chat to the RO about all this shouting and horn blowing earlier on, it didn't seem to be in the spirit of it all. The van driver came over and joined the conversation too. There were no further harsh words, but I was clear about the fact that carrying on at people on bikes isn't the best way to go.

Until you've had to drag a bike up that shitty little ginnel used on the beamsley beacon race, you can't complain about having to run down it!

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Today was a bike ride like no other. Heading up to the craven arms I caught up the back end and caravan of vehicles associated with the Ilkley HM near addingham, I decided to carefully roll through staying out of the way and thought this wouldn't be a problem as there were no runners in sight at the time. Next thing I know a pair of white vans come screwing past blasting the horns and pull up further on, the lads in them start shouting and carrying on at me for being on the race route, really quite abusive all in all. I'm quickly joined by other cyclists who've had the same treatment trying to do the same as me.

Not wanting to give up I decide to take a detour, the craven arms is calling. I cross the river by the suspension bridge in addingham, walk the bike up the lane and then drag the bike up the descent path used on the beamsley beacon race. I reach the track with the bike tangled in weeds, by pants scratched by thorns and my legs stung by nettles. Quick ride in first up the gravel track and short cut over the high route and drop back down to the low route near Bolton abbey. They let me push it along the event route up to the A59 where I get clear, it's only about a quarter mile.

I called in at the finish on the way back and had a chat to the RO about all this shouting and horn blowing earlier on, it didn't seem to be in the spirit of it all. The van driver came over and joined the conversation too. There were no further harsh words, but I was clear about the fact that carrying on at people on bikes isn't the best way to go.

Until you've had to drag a bike up that shitty little ginnel used on the beamsley beacon race, you can't complain about having to run down it!
    The only good thing about that awful ginnel is your smiling face near the start.

To avoid the Ilkley 1/2M today I did a 50 mile pootle - Hellifield/ Gisburn/ Skipton/ Addingham (2900 feet)- but made sure I was on the road before the road closure on Skipton Road. In my experience you can never be sure how marshals will behave. Some are experienced and chilled - others are just out of their depth. In France following the TdF I have been told to get off my bike and walk by one police man, so I walked 100 meters, got back on my bike and then rode past 50 policemen who were perfectly happy.

C'est la vie!

Incidentally ths week saw the Otley town centre bike race so in two weeks there is the Ilkley town centre bike race.

Anything you can do ...
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 11-07-2021 at 07:08 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I haven't done so many bike rides for the last two months, as I have been concentrating more on running. But I decided to go cycling this afternoon, and did about 40 miles, westwards around Ashby-de-la-Zouch. A few off-road sections, including one horribly muddy, rutted track. Fuelled by home-made banana cake (my ride, not the muddy track).
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    The only good thing about that awful ginnel is your smiling face near the start.

To avoid the Ilkley 1/2M today I did a 50 mile pootle - Hellifield/ Gisburn/ Skipton/ Addingham (2900 feet)- but made sure I was on the road before the road closure on Skipton Road. In my experience you can never be sure how marshals will behave. Some are experienced and chilled - others are just out of their depth. In France following the TdF I have been told to get off my bike and walk by one police man, so I walked 100 meters, got back on my bike and then rode past 50 policemen who were perfectly happy.

C'est la vie!

Incidentally ths week saw the Otley town centre bike race so in two weeks there is the Ilkley town centre bike race.

Anything you can do ...
    The course marshals were fine with it, they didn't say a word, but the van men went mental.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    The course marshals were fine with it, they didn't say a word...
    Ah good.

Such a shame to see a place where I had many happy liaison's closed!

That tarpaulin on the roof is no doubt hiding an expensive repair. Sadly, it will probably end up as a private residence.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Thanks for the thoughts, Marco.

Turned out a friend has look Keo and although you do get more float, there is also quite a bit of play fore and aft which I'm not sure I'd get on with. I did file down an old pair of SPD-SL cleats and try those but didn't notice much difference other than they were easier to clip in.
    That aside, running has been reduced to a bare minimum of late as I deal with a hip problem and that coupled with some appropriate stretches seems to have at least reduced the Achilles tendonitis to a manageable level. So looks like I'll be sticking with Shimano for now.

26 miles and lots of hills for me today. Jenkins Chapel, into the Goyt Valley, then towards Earl Sterndale before a hard right into Hollinsclough (site of lovely little fell race) then back up to Flash and home.

I was taking it a little easy party because of the heat, but also as Mrs Noel and I did an early morning Shutlingsloe run. So I wasn't sure if my legs would stop working. Thankfully they got me home. Lots of others out today, making the most of the too hot weather.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    First sportive in over 2 years for me today. A charity affair to raise funds for St Mary's Hospice in Birmingham, 'Ride the Reservoir' starts and finishes near Bartley Green reservoir in the outskirts of Brum. Started at 8.30 by which time it was already over 20 degrees with clear blue skies and forecast for a scorching ride. It starts with the longest climb of the day up to Romsley and there is some let up for a while through the lanes of Worcestershire before the rollercoaster second half heads into Warwickshire including some steep but thankfully short hills that had many walking. Temperature was knocking on the door of 30 degrees when the final lap of the reservoir came into view. 100k with 1400m ascent in 3.55 (and about the same in litres of water!)

38 miles (2200 feet) with a maximum temp of 86 F but from which I concluded that it was far more comfortable
    than running a mere 5 miles at Alderman's Ascent in similar weather and I could ride with my full-length-zip top flapping in the breeze and I didn't need to pierce my nipples to pin my race number to my chest.

I do like cycling.