Page 754 of 774 FirstFirst ... 254654704744752753754755756764 ... LastLast
Results 7,531 to 7,540 of 7731

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Having enjoyed my trip to Watersheddles reservoir I thought I would visit it again (although reservoirs don't really change much) and add a few more: so after Lower Laithe, Ponden,... then Coldwell (Upper and Lower),Widdup...I used to love the Widdup Fell Race from the Pack Horse pub, miles from anywhere on Widdop Moor and which claims to date from 1610. It stands on The Ridge leading to Hardcastle Crags on the way to Hebden Bridge and which is a joy to ride along (there is a 1 in 4 sign) and then from Hebden there is the long climb and descent to Oxenhope and Haworth - a nice loop of 30 miles and 3600 feet. Apart from the brief periods in the small towns virtually the whole route is alongside moors. Wonderful.

In fact so wonderful I must repeat it in the other direction.

Does 1 in 4 then become 4 in 1?
    I wonder if navigating by using the sun was banned during the 1610 fell race Graham?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I wonder if navigating by using the sun was banned during the 1610 fell race Graham?
    I think even then runners just followed the person in front.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Marco will consider it a dreadful shame that, having descended into the Vale of Belvoir, I didn't take the opportunity to climb back out of one of the several roads with a black arrow on the OS map. Instead, I took the rather gentle climb from Nether Broughton to Upper Broughton.
    An opportunity missed, although looking at the map you did take the obvious route home

Wilful hill-evasion, however, should be a criminal offence

In an answer to Anthony Kay's question about posting pictures, there should be a photo below of My White Bicycle (singalong all you Nazareth fans), taken last week at Aqualate Mere.

I have had a struggle, but I seem to have worked out how to do it. If you're still interested Anthony let me know

Last edited by Marco; 27-04-2021 at 06:54 PM.

And so I tried the 3600 feet of climb (in 29 miles with some route tinkering) in the opposite direction to include Heptonstall Road (500 metres of cobbles) from Simon Warren's Cycling Climbs Of Yorkshire in addition to Widdop Moor and Oxenhope Moor which I already knew. And my reward was a down pour lasting 20 miles and the opportunity to study how rain forms shallow rivers when flooding down a fell side road.

I noticed on the 1:4 near Widdop that descending motorists paused until I had passed. There was plenty of room so I assume their interest and conversation was along the lines of "Just look at that idiot!"

Still I had thought the reservoirs I passed on Sunday looked a little dessicated; as would I if I had luxuriated in my heated seat for any longer after stripping off in my car.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 27-04-2021 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    In an answer to Anthony Kay's question about posting pictures, there should be a photo below of My White Bicycle (singalong all you Nazareth fans), taken last week at Aqualate Mere.

I have had a struggle, but I seem to have worked out how to do it. If you're still interested Anthony let me know

Out of interest how did you manage to post this picture (beautiful bike by the way)? I can post pictures that are already on the internet (already posted on Twitter for instance) but Iím damned if I can manage it from photos on my phone or computer - there seems to be a limitation on image size/quality?

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    Out of interest how did you manage to post this picture (beautiful bike by the way)? I can post pictures that are already on the internet (already posted on Twitter for instance) but I’m damned if I can manage it from photos on my phone or computer - there seems to be a limitation on image size/quality?
    Yep! How did you do it?

And I really think we should have the bike spec., such as what brand of plastic pump do I see?

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    Out of interest how did you manage to post this picture (beautiful bike by the way)? I can post pictures that are already on the internet (already posted on Twitter for instance) but I’m damned if I can manage it from photos on my phone or computer - there seems to be a limitation on image size/quality?
    I have been trying to post pictures for some months, and it's been driving me Yesterday, I finally had some success using a fairly straightforward process, with a bit of voodoo in the middle to make it work. I will look at the technique again, and when I have something that works consistently I will publish it here for all who are interested.

It's funny isn't it, there's a beautiful carpet of bluebells across the picture and all everyone can see is the bike!

For Graham's benefit here is the spec of my £249 bike from GO Outdoors (2016)

Frame : 6061 aluminium, with carbon fork with aluminium steerer

Chainset : Shimano Sora (49/44)

Gears : Shimano Sora rear and Claris front

Cassette : Shimano Sora 12-25 (it was a 11-25 but I removed one sprocket to make it an 8)

Chain: Shimano Sora

Brake calipers : Tektro quick release dual pivot

Brake levers : Shimano Sora 9 speed

Stem : unknown

Handlebars : unknown

Wheels : Shimano RS100

Tyres: Vittoria Zaffiro Pro 28mm - with fagpacket clearances on the rear wheel

Saddle : Selle Italia - it was massively reduced as it is white

Pedals : Shimano SPD-SL R540 - heavily reduced as these are white too

As you can see quite a lot of the bike has been altered, but I have only added bits slightly better than what I started with from my parts bin
    Last edited by Marco; 28-04-2021 at 01:07 PM.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    An opportunity missed, although looking at the map you did take the obvious route home

Wilful hill-evasion, however, should be a criminal offence
    Yes, as it was past 5:30pm when I finished my church-crawling in Long Clawson on Sunday, "obvious route home" was looking quite attractive.

But I made up for it today, with a little circuit of Charnwood Forest including the 120 metres of climbing up Beacon Road from Woodhouse, followed by the switchback of Priory Lane. On the second (and biggest) climb along this road, there was someone ahead of me (who must have come out of the lane that goes along the Ulverscroft valley). My momentum from the previous descent took me quite close to him, but I couldn't get past him. But then he just stopped and got off, less than halfway up the hill. Most disappointing!
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Parked near Hoar Cross, and made my way over to the A515 and headed North. I'd ony done about a mile, and was just grovelling a bit on the first 1 in 8 section, when I was passsed by a 2 year old Lamborghini Aventador with the registration 3 KUF, followed immediately behind by a 2 year old Ferrari GTC4 Lusso TV8 with the registration 4 KUF

And before anyone thinks I'm a sophisticated, refined, connoisseur of all things Italian from Ilkley, I just put the registrations into the government MOT checker - as brought to my attention by Mr Brightside. Quite what they were doing in Staffordshire is anyone's guess, although we were only around a mile from St George's Park at the time.

Continued North to Sudbury and then West to Doveridge before heading North again to Rocester (pronounced Roaster) the former Roman settlement and now the World Headquarters for JCB. Continued North to Ellastone and then, in search of arrows on the OS map, took the narrow road to Stanton. A beautful valley road for nearly a mile before it decides it want a career change and turns sharp left up the valley side for some serious climbing (exactly as Anthony said it did).

I didn't stop at Stanton, but continued up the hill to see the East side of the Weaver hills before descending back to Stanton. I headed East out of the village to a deep steep-sided valley with some arrows on the map, and that is where the picture at the bottom, (which doesn't do it justice), was taken

Grovelled out of the valley to the A52, where it started to rain. It had been only 7 degrees C when I started, with an icy North wind, and now it was raining as I approached Mayfield. The good news, however, was that I was heading South now.

Headed back to Ellastone and crossed the River Dove here and then headed South to Marston Montgomery, a new village to me, before Somersal Herbert where I'd planned to cross the A50 but couldn't find the road. At this point it started to rain, and as I met the A515 and then crossed the A50 it was turning wintry. I don't know how many decades it has been since I last rode in shorts with the hail bouncing off my legs, but it wasn't this century

67km with a very pleasing 1002m of ascent

I think I've got the photo posting sorted, so will publish some instructions tomorrow for those who are interested.
    Last edited by Marco; 29-04-2021 at 07:49 PM.