Page 757 of 772 FirstFirst ... 257657707747755756757758759767 ... LastLast
Results 7,561 to 7,570 of 7717

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

I feel your pain on the getting cold while cycling front; Iíve had a few dodgy moments over the past 4 months including excruciatingly cold hands just from not thinking to wear gloves on a short sharp six mile blast

My ride yesterday was the Settle Loop from home. Just over 21 miles and 2,400 feet of ascent. The Settle loop is a well known MTB trail, out over the tops towards Malham following the Dales Highway to a high point at Nappa Cross, overlooking Malhamdale and Malham Tarn, and then looping back on the Pennine Bridleway. All in all a cracking route from Horton

And of course, like pretty much any ride around here, a humdinger of a hill climb was included too, up Mitchell Lane out of Settle - with my HR chest strap on, I hit 174 bpm

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Thanks for that advice, I shall certainly be looking into some proper gear once the new bike arrives - scheduled build in a weeks time, so getting closer.
    Proper gear will be functional rather than Italian cool like Graham B, I would never pull that off as too many years a ultra scruffy fell runner. Can't dress up a cart horse to look like a race horse, even on a plastic bike!
    As someone who would describe their fashion style as Nuovo Scarecrow, I can understand your position. The good news is that Aldi and Lidl have a cycling event every year, and their tops (but not their shorts) are decent, if not the highest quality, and I've bought a couple.

There is more good news. In January 1992 I bought a load of clothing in a famous bike shop's January sale - including the Cinelli top in my avatar. 29 and a bit years later I still have all of the tops, and still use them regularly - they really do last a long time

Of course, if you wanted to go out today and make Graham jealous

I've seen the lidl cycling stuff, in fact I bought my cycle work stand from there over a year ago and it's just fine for all my needs. And was cheap.
    Thanks for reminding me to keep an eye out for their cycling week.

Just a modest 9 miles back from Guiseley Halfords having recovered my Boardman ADV from a first service with 1400 miles on the Garmin. And of course a new freewheel under warranty.

So now looking forward to rain when I keep the blue bike in its heated thermal jacket and tackle Yorkshire's Grimmest Climbs on the ADV. Where I am relaxed about those things with engines on climbs above 20% as long as they are zipping up and along at 15 mph.

It does give one such an incentive
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 06-05-2021 at 02:43 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

69.5km with 686m of ascent. Eight degrees C, with a biting 15-20mph Northerly wind that stung my face and gave me some ear ache, when I started. Lovely sun all day, although it had little effect on the temperature

Parked at the Northern edge of Cannock Chase and headed to Milford, Brocton, Acton Trussel and then the very southern edge of Stafford where I crossed the M6. From here I experienced one of the worst roads I've ever seen, with hardly a single stretch of tarmac remaining. Zig-zagged around the road for a mile trying to dodge big holes, whilst missing the odd one which resulted in a big 'Clang' from the bike half a second later as the chain slammed down on my chainstay, taking anther lump of paint off the frame.

Eventually reached the safety of tarmac at Coppenhall and then reached the A518 at Haughton. Followed this all the way to Shropshire, getting a good view of The Wrekin on the way, and then headed North on the A41 Newport bypass. Turned right onto the A519 and crossed the River Meese, (note, not Mease), just after its source at Aqualate Mere.

Turned right off the A519 at Woodseaves and headed East and then South to Gnosall and the A518. Decided not to indulge in another session of chain bashing, so left the 518 at Haughton and went through Bradley to Penkridge and then found a pleasant road back via Brocton and Milford

Had my second jab this morning, excuse not to go out (gentle fishing instead), but my friend a couple of houses up -who I would call a proper cyclist - managed 160k with 3600m ascent round mainly back roads of mid Wales.
    Which goes to show we have hills too! But way out of my league, unless I went electric and towed a little trailer with spare batteries 🤔.

Not over Bolton Abbey / Cavendish bridge

Wtf...

As an aside

I stopped going to the Cavendish Pavilion many years ago after a long ride Gaz Shaw and I asked for Cheesy beans on toast.

We were told that the Pavillion only did cheese on toast or beans on toast

Stuff the Duke!