Page 759 of 846 FirstFirst ... 259659709749757758759760761769809 ... LastLast
Results 7,581 to 7,590 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Marco, I now see what I'm doing wrong. When it rains on me while I'm cycling, I slow down. Clearly I need to speed up to outrun it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    It all depends on the speed, direction, and size of the rain cloud. If you're travelling north, and you spot a rain cloud ahead moving from the west to the east, (the usual general direction inland), then unless you're very quick the best advice would be to slow down and let it pass
    I think Noel is being disingenuous.What he would actually do is summon his driver, who will have been dutifully following behind in the Mavic Bentley, and instructs the valet to prepare high tea while the driver dries off the bike, irons his riding kit and generally pampers him... until the sun returns.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Now that sounds very pleasant. I shall have a word with Jeeves ahead of my next ride.

It is universally recognised that Yorkshire is the heart of road cycling in Britain and Ilkley is the epicentre and from the suburb of Ilkley known as Ben Rhydding do the Gran Fondos organised by Struggle Events start, including the Tom Pidcock Challenge. (Tom is the local Leeds lad who recently displayed how easy it is to win an Olympic Gold Medal when you aren't turning out for Ineos Grenadiers).

My son did the 180km version recently (for £162 you can start with Tom himself, have a photo op. and a "free" T-shirt) but today, being short of time he invited me to accompany him on the short route: 50km, 789 metres of climb, made up of a couple of 15.5% climbs:Burnsall and Skyreholme. Together with the few miles I rode getting to the start - all in all an enjoyable blast although I really must buy my son a rear view mirror for his bike to avoid him having to spend so much time looking backwards to check that I have not expired, or disappeared under a tourist SUV.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 10-08-2021 at 06:11 PM.

On the subject of Tom Pidcock, and the Ineos Grenadiers team, he'll be starting the Vuelta a España on Saturday. Probably shouldn't get too excited, however, as he's in the same team as Bernal, Carapaz and Yates
    Tom used to cross the finish line with his legs stretched out straight behind him in a "Superman" position with just one hand on the handle bar.

Are you suggesting we may not see that in Spain?

My Vuelta top three

Roglic
    Sivakov
    Landa
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 14-08-2021 at 09:55 AM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Not done much lately - summer fishing time - had a pootle (slow?) round the lanes as I didn't fancy any main roads. Friday afternoon idiots heading on holiday.
    39k and 730m, but one of the hills was a bit steep and had to revert to old fashioned fell runner mode to make it to the top without stopping. Phew, that was tough bit.

I'm glad to see you've altered your prediction this morning, as I triple-checked the start list and couldn't find Pogačar's name on it.

I wasn't able to log on earlier, due to another Windows update, but here is my prediction:

I think it will be between Bernal and Roglič for the win. Roglič is the big favourite, but I think Bernal is better so I'm going for

1 Egan Bernal
    2 Primož Roglič
    3 Mikel Landa
    Yes Marco. I watched the presentation and knew that Pogacar wasn't riding but still put him down instead of Roglic!

By the way I was in Mid Wales during the week and had a lovely 36 miles ride which included up Bwlch y Groes. Lived up to its reputation as being a toughie as there is no respite once you start. Simon Warren gives it 10/10.
    I selected my lowest gear at the bottom and ground it out staying seated for the duration as I did not want to have to stand up because my right calf is giving me jip again!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

By the way I was in Mid Wales during the week and had a lovely 36 miles ride which included up Bwlch y Groes. Lived up to its reputation as being a toughie as there is no respite once you start. Simon Warren gives it 10/10.
    I selected my lowest gear at the bottom and ground it out staying seated for the duration as I did not want to have to stand up because my right calf is giving me jip again!
    Which way? The south side is the desperately steep side, but the northern approach (which I went up a few weeks ago) goes on for longer. I haven't tried the eastern approach (from Lake Vyrnwy).
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

You didn't say which way you rode it; I've only ridden it coming from Bala (the North side), but as Anthony Kay pointed out a couple of weeks ago the South side is the more severe.

Best of luck with your predictions
    From Llanymawddwy, the South side. The descent to Llanuwchllyn, the North side, and also the venue for Ras Y Aran was a bit sketchy, especially when the road surface turned green under the trees, half way down, just before the cattle grid!