Page 760 of 846 FirstFirst ... 260660710750758759760761762770810 ... LastLast
Results 7,591 to 7,600 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Knowing that Tom P. would be strutting his stuff today in sunny Spain I thought I would re-ride his Gran Fondo but this time without my son looking back with a "where are you?" look.

But I added a couple of climbs - as you do - so 35 miles, 3400 feet.

That takes me over 2000 miles so far this year which is around 200 lower than last year at this time but I have done three times as many foot races, which must count for something. One of these was Whittle Pike last Thursday, always a favourite when I was in my prime and still a favourite in my dotage since I was First V75.

Fell running eh? Can't beat it!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Can you furnish us with some details of your route? The only way I can see of making a 36 mile circular route to include this epic climb, (much used in the Milk Race - one for the older readers), is to start and finish at the South end of Llyn Tegid

It would be interesting to know what gear ratio you were using to remain seated for the whole climb, too.
    Of course.

I started and finished in Dinas Mawddwy, over Bwlch Y Groes to Llanuwchllyn down to Dolgellau up to Cross Foxes and Bwlch Oerddrws and the fantastic A470 descent back to Dinas Mawddwy.

The main reason for this ride was to see if I could get up Bwlch Y Groes as I am doing the Cambrian Coast Sportive on 18th September and have gone for the Big Dog option of 101 miles and 9,675 feet of ascent.

My gear ratio was the standard 50/34 front and 11/32 rear which came with the bike. My "best" bike has 50/34 front and 11/28 rear which I don't think I would have got up Bwlch Y Groes in the saddle.

I don't usually do sportive's as they are generally a rip off but every now and again a scenic and tough one takes my fancy. The only other one I have got my eye on is the Bealach Mor on the Applecross Peninsular.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

[QUOTE=Llani Boy;675347]Of course.

I started and finished in Dinas Mawddwy, over Bwlch Y Groes to Llanuwchllyn down to Dolgellau up to Cross Foxes and Bwlch Oerddrws and the fantastic A470 descent back to Dinas Mawddwy.

I’m not remotely interested in cycling (yet?) however I am privileged to live in Dinas Mawddwy and highly recommend the Llew Coch if you want a proper pub for B&B or post ride recovery.

The bonus is that there are some belting running routes around here too.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Can you furnish us with some details of your route? The only way I can see of making a 36 mile circular route to include this epic climb, (much used in the Milk Race - one for the older readers), is to start and finish at the South end of Llyn Tegid

It would be interesting to know what gear ratio you were using to remain seated for the whole climb, too.
    I’ve done it from all 3 sides and the most brutal is from the south (Dinas Maddwy).
    Last year I was feeling fit and arranged to meet the family at Lake Vyrnwy (from my in-laws, 12 miles away) and the plan was to do all 3 ascents. Thankfully I ran out of time (!) after 2 and missed out the Bala side.
    Churned away on a 36/30: very hard work and came out of the saddle.
    Such a beautiful climb and area; a tonic to busy Northern Snowdonia.

[QUOTE=Murt;675348]
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Of course.

I’m not remotely interested in cycling (yet?) however I am privileged to live in Dinas Mawddwy and highly recommend the Llew Coch if you want a proper pub for B&B or post ride recovery.

The bonus is that there are some belting running routes around here too.
    I had planned to rehydrate in the aforementioned Llew Coch but it was closed to the public as there was a funeral wake going on in there. I've gate crashed wedding receptions and other assorted functions in the past but I draw the line at wakes!

So I spent half and hour in the car park by the bungalows, drinking water and eating my sandwiches, whilst chatting to a bloke who had recently moved into the village from Ramsgate and works at the Dovey Cycle Park.
    With an accent like his, 50 years ago he would not have been allowed to buy a pint in the Llew Coch never mind a house!

A lovely ride yesterday mainly in the Staffordshire Moorlands. From home out to Earl Sterndale and Longnor before the steady climb up through the hamlet of Newtown to the Morridge which runs roughly N-S over 7 miles from Royal Cottage to Bottom House and gives the best views of the Roaches to the West. It also has 3 roadside TP's along its length.

Eventually I reached Waterhouses which is at the Southerly end of the Manifold Trail but the small cafe was shut. As I had only intended to do a 20 mile ride I was understocked with fuel so purchased a take away Latte and what turned out to be the worst pre packaged flap jack I have ever eaten from the Spar shop.

A steep climb up to Calton, a small village that used to have a cracking little Fell Race which sadly seems to have fallen by the wayside, and then the narrow cowshit covered road through the farmyard at Throwley and down to Ilam where the flapjack reappeared!

Another steep climb out of Ilam past Saturdays Manifold Show field and on to Wetton where I was going to stop at the cafe in the village hall, but didn't as it was heaving with folk. On towards Hulme End where drizzle that had been threatening all around me for most of the ride finally decided it was my turn to get refreshed so I sheltered under a tree for it and a sharper shower to pass. Whilst waiting, and hungry, I remembered that I had a Tunnocks wafer biscuit in my saddle bag from last week so I wolfed it down and continued in the sunshine towards Hartington where a couple decided to walk out in front of me without looking.

Fortunately it was one of those where I had spotted them from about 30yds away and just knew what they were going to do and they didn't disappoint!. A cheery "thanks for not looking" as I swerved behind them as they reached the centre of the road was replied to by the female with a belated "I'm sorry".

I expect every pedestrian and car to pull out in front of me!

I then continued incident free up Long Dale to Earl Sterndal and Hurdlow Town then across the 515 to Chelmorton, Taddington and home.

A total of 60 miles, 5,799 feet in 4 hrs 28 min moving time. Total elapsed time was 5hrs 6min which got me the silent treatment from the wife when I got home

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    ...I had only intended to do a 20 mile ride...

Total elapsed time was 5hrs 6min which got me the silent treatment from the wife when I got home
    And quite right too. She would be worried about you.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 16-08-2021 at 04:45 PM.

So heavy was the rain in addingham today, that it brought on one of the street lights. The drains were overflowing, my glasses were steaming up, but my omm smock was keeping me quite dry. Fuel at the craven arms was a side of onion rings and three pints of pale ale.

Out on gravel bike and managed about 45 miles and 5250ft, that was enough. Met wife and friends at pub, had a couple of pints to rehydrate and wobbled home on bike.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    So heavy was the rain in addingham today, that it brought on one of the street lights. The drains were overflowing, my glasses were steaming up, but my omm smock was keeping me quite dry. Fuel at the craven arms was a side of onion rings and three pints of pale ale.
    And you rode home?

Anyway at least the water splashed up by the passing traffic was warm (dirty) water.

I did 52 miles on the gravel bike (2200 feet), including a few miles of the L-L Canal towpath from East Marton. The contrast under-tyre on towpaths is quite astonishing. Between, say, Gargrave and Skipton where there is a newish compacted sand/gravel surface you can blast along as fast as your little legs can pedal (and it is soooo flat) but get away from the dog walking, pram pushing areas and 5 mph over tree roots and rocks requires real concentration. I think the quietest section of the whole canal is north of East Marton where the canal does a hair pin 180 degrees turn and boats coming towards you appear to be heading in the same direction only 100 yards away until you both reach the sharp turn.

I also explored a foot path that I had seen on a map (hence gravel bike to be lifted over stiles). One section was on a signposted route that made sense connecting two points (eg Embsay) and there were people about but the section I was on made no sense, was basically unmarked, was deserted, was difficult to follow although the many signs warning of Danger Quarry and Private Land made it clear where I would not be welcome and ended on a long private drive (Haw Park House).

Foot paths,like tow paths; are not all the same.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 23-08-2021 at 11:23 AM.