Page 774 of 846 FirstFirst ... 274674724764772773774775776784824 ... LastLast
Results 7,731 to 7,740 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I knew I could rely on you, Graham. It's a very striking building and very rectilinear in style. As I zipped past I noticed how well it sat in the space and how red it was. The lack of a backdrop and the way the land falls away behind it really focuses attention on the building itself. Do they take visitors? Can we have a forum luncheon round there? Lots of beetroot salad for Noel.
    I wasn't aware of Heathcote previously. I'll have to saunter past next time I'm up in Ilkley. Grade 2 listed gardens! That would be a badge of honour and a curse for the head gardener. "you can't dig that bed up, it's listed don't you know"

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    With all that bright colour going on Marco I would imagine that passers by would think that the Circus is coming to town as you cycle by!
    Yes, you'd think so wouldn't you.

The idea is to be highly visible, although around here it doesn't seem to be as effective as you'd expect it to be. Mind you, I've only had 'contact' with a car once, and that was 35+ years ago, when I was nudged by the wing mirror of a learner on their test! So maybe it does work after all

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Ah yes thanks. 50 grams. I must cut my toe nails tonight.
    Yes it does sound a trifling amount, but in your extensive fell racing experience you've probably encountered cases of people not carrying all their required kit to save similar amounts of weight

Certainly I'd wear lighter fell shoes for 50 grams difference.

Although shoes make more of a difference because you lift your feet every step - more akin to rolling resistance on bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post

Although shoes make more of a difference because you lift your feet every step - more akin to rolling resistance on bikes.
    Well yes but everything is context

I once weighed all my bike bits: tube, tool,...and concluded life is too short to worry about changing all my bolts etc to titanium.

I've just weighed my standard bidon full with water: 685 grams.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

You could cut all the studs off, that should knock the weight down by about 50 grams

I wasn't aware of Heathcote previously. I'll have to saunter past next time I'm up in Ilkley. Grade 2 listed gardens! That would be a badge of honour and a curse for the head gardener. "you can't dig that bed up, it's listed don't you know"

Actually Grove Road (which is LS29 in Ilkley) is only the garden entrance. The grand entrance is on the parallel King's Road and the house and grounds stretch between the two.

Opposite the garden entrance, so on the opposite side of Grove Road to the house, used to be the kitchen garden but practically out of sight of the main house without a telescope. This has now gone and in place are 11 very decent sized detached houses.

At the entrance to the cul-de-sac are two 10 feet tall stone pillars surmounted by a globe that formed the entrance to the kitchen garden. You can see why Lutyens went on to design New Delhi.

The cul-de-sac is named Heath Park.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 21-01-2022 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I read an article last year from someone at Bianchi that painting the frame added 50g in weight; and as carbon fibre isn't going to rust, that's why some bikes are plain black
    Someone passed me today. Black kit on a black bike. I let him go - you can't fight 50 grams.

Anyway I was cooling down after 29 miles (2400 feet). Also my Boardman rear wheel was clanking like an old steam 2-8-0 WD after war service in Europe so I assume my bearings have gone (after 2050 miles).

My mother had asked me to run an errand 10+ miles away so to save the planet I did the journey on my Boardman. Although I think I've saved the planet by now so is Mars in trouble? Venus?
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 20-01-2022 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Anyway I was cooling down after 29 miles (2400 feet). Also my Boardman rear wheel was clanking like an old steam 2-8-0 WD after war service in Europe so I assume my bearings have gone (after 2050 miles).
    The clanking is common now, even on very expensive bikes. I don't know why they do it, but nowadays manufacturers seem keen on using smaller ball bearings, in bearing cages, rather than the loose bearings that Campagnolo and all other good manufacturers used to use.

I recently opened up the hubs of my 2004 Campagnolo Proton wheels, and re-greased them for the first time with Castrol LM grease (the experts say it doesn't matter within reason what you use, as long as you do it). They weren't clanking, or dry, before, and there not now.

From what you said, I think the rear wheel probably just needs greasing and re-adjusting

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The clanking is common now, even on very expensive bikes. I don't know why they do it, but nowadays manufacturers seem keen on using smaller ball bearings, in bearing cages, rather than the loose bearings that Campagnolo and all other good manufacturers used to use.

I recently opened up the hubs of my 2004 Campagnolo Proton wheels, and re-greased them for the first time with Castrol LM grease (the experts say it doesn't matter within reason what you use, as long as you do it). They weren't clanking, or dry, before, and there not now.

From what you said, I think the rear wheel probably just needs greasing and re-adjusting
    Thanks. I have never hear the clanking before on any bike. Quite disconcerting.