Page 779 of 846 FirstFirst ... 279679729769777778779780781789829 ... LastLast
Results 7,781 to 7,790 of 8460

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    having once owned my share of Citroen and Fiat cars.
    CX 25 turbo?
    131 Mirafiori sport?

Ye god's, they just don't roll like they used to. The same guys that make the Peugeot 3007 once made the 205 1.9gti....the mind boggles, millipede.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    CX 25 turbo?
    131 Mirafiori sport?
    Before I moved to Mercedes C Class (for the last 27 years) I had a Citroen XM. I would do the length of the M1 in just over 2 hours every Sunday evening on an almost deserted road and then cross London to my second home, taking about twice as long to return every Friday evening. My cars were changed every 2 1/2 years.

I had a Cosworth 2.9L V6 Scorpio for around 15,000 miles which had astonishing acceleration but the XM is the car I loved above all others (although the Maserati engine Citroen SM would have been interesting to own).
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 13-02-2022 at 12:58 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Thirty-three miles towards Harrogate and back so 315 miles for the year. The last thirteen were in wind and rain and my hands were cold even inside double gloves so I think these miles should count double. It really is humiliating when your hands are so cold you struggle to remove your cycling shoes.

A late afternoon bike ride yesterday along the Tissington Trail to Tissington, down to Ballidon and up to the High Peak Trail via Roystone Grange. Along the HPT to Parsley Hay, down to Monyash, Horse Lane and home.
    33 miles, 1,529 feet in 2hrs 22.

A lovely ride but very, very windy, most of it crosswinds, which kept me switched on looking out for gateways and other gaps that could cause me to come to grief.

The first of two highlights of the ride was a chat to a bloke in a wheelchair who I caught up on the Tissington Trail. It looked like it was a sports chair and he was going at a decent pace. I slowed as I caught him, said hello, and rode with him as we chatted. He was finding dodging the puddles a pain due to his chair width and me alongside wasn't helping so after a couple of minutes I bade him farewell. What an inspiration.

The second was a chat to the cleaning lady at the toilets at Tissington. They were spick and span and a credit to her. She told me that she also picked up litter in the car park which was also spotless. So many people take these type of facilities for granted but if it wasn't for people like her much of the countryside would soon become an eyesore.

If I was dishing out New Years Honours I know exactly where they would go!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

The ADV is at Halfords for some attention but Halfords is unable to obtain the brake pads and the mechanic has suggested that if I buy them from Amazon and take them in then he will fit them. Sometimes the world is quite odd.

So with roads cleansed by torrential rain and a blue sky above - for the first time in a month it was Bianchi day. Tyres up to 7 bar and shortly afterwards I was bouncing down Old Pool Bank at a tad under 40mph. Oh joy!

Pool was once a station (as was Otley) on the railway line between Burley in Wharfedale and Arthington which connected the Leeds - Harrogate and Leeds-Skipton lines.

After 60 years some of the track bed has been built on, notably in Pool, and indeed Otley where the Otley bypass covered the old track bed with tarmac, but much of the rest has been left to walkers, with or without dogs, and the occasional MTB rider. But there is now an initiative to "Sustrans" some of the paths.

Which is probably why signs saying PRIVATE LAND. KEEP OUT have appeared along the proposed section.

Obviously a well meaning gesture by those with land near the old track bed to help walkers/riders from getting lost.

Such kindness.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 23-02-2022 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    The ADV is at Halfords for some attention but Halfords is unable to obtain the brake pads and the mechanic has suggested that if I buy them from Amazon and take them in then he will fit them. Sometimes the world is quite odd.

So with roads cleansed by torrential rain and a blue sky above - for the first time in a month it was Bianchi day. Tyres up to 7 bar and shortly afterwards I was bouncing down Old Pool Bank at a tad under 40mph. Oh joy!

Pool was once a station (as was Otley) on the railway line between Burley in Wharfedale and Arthington which connected the Leeds - Harrogate and Leeds-Skipton lines.

After 60 years some of the track bed has been built on, notably in Pool, and indeed Otley where the Otley bypass covered the old track bed with tarmac, but much of the rest has been left to walkers, with or without dogs, and the occasional MTB rider. But there is now an initiative to "Sustrans" some of the paths.

Which is probably why signs saying PRIVATE LAND. KEEP OUT have appeared along the proposed section.

Obviously a well meaning gesture by those with land near the old track bed to help walkers/riders from getting lost.

Such kindness.
    We were walking on a section of the old railway to the east of Otley today accompanied by goldfinches. Walk and run the section to the west of Otley and the Burley in Wharfedale sections. A lot of it has been converted into footpath already, though the section behind Bradford Rd in Otley floods to deeper than wellies in winter. Not encountered the hostile signs yet.

My Boardman ADV is back from Halfords and the Guiseley Branch is back to "best bike shop anywhere" status.

To celebrate that and the clear blue sky I took the Bianchi out: Bolton Abbey, Burnsall, Dibble Bridge (the climb), Greenhow - I have not ridden some of these roads since before the winter and I was shocked at the deterioration in the North Yorkshire road surfaces - from bad to worse. My wheels might now need truing.

Since I basically don't eat meat - just fish - I need to maintain my blood iron levels with massive doses of good red wine and currently a 14% 2016 Muga Rioja. But as everyone who doesn't believe the tosh on women's pages about diets knows, weight (by which I mean fat) control is about balancing calories in with calories out so I needed to do a hilly 35 miles (3300 feet) today to compensate for last evening's iron intake.

It was a good ride in the sunshine and I was so pleased with myself on my return I finished the bottle.

Just the one mind.

I believe you have an excellent wine cellar and if you need help making inroads I am willing to cycle up north to yours and replenish my iron levels.
    Is there any Petrus still hidden in the back of the cellar?
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.