Page 779 of 782 FirstFirst ... 279679729769777778779780781 ... LastLast
Results 7,781 to 7,790 of 7820

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

  1. #7781
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Over Haddon
    Posts
    2,135
    I have just been perusing OS Maps to see where I can get most TP's for my efforts and I have found some that I have not visited for years. They are in the Radnor Forest as recently reported on by MattPo.

    There are 5 that I can, on the face of it, bag on a 12 miles run with 2,500 feet of climb in a circuit from New Radnor. Once on the ground I might have a slight snag with the private weapons testing range in Harley Dingle but my planned route loops to the north of it from Black Mixen to Great Rhos via Shepherds Well.

    I just need to pick a decent day now!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

  2. #7782
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Over Haddon
    Posts
    2,135
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Reminds me of my visit to Mark Hill...
    I'm loving that keystone with the notch in it to finish off the arch.

    They don't build things like that nowadays!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

  3. #7783
    Master Travs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    NE Lakes/Coventry
    Posts
    4,013
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I have just been perusing OS Maps to see where I can get most TP's for my efforts and I have found some that I have not visited for years. They are in the Radnor Forest as recently reported on by MattPo.

    There are 5 that I can, on the face of it, bag on a 12 miles run with 2,500 feet of climb in a circuit from New Radnor. Once on the ground I might have a slight snag with the private weapons testing range in Harley Dingle but my planned route loops to the north of it from Black Mixen to Great Rhos via Shepherds Well.

    I just need to pick a decent day now!
    Llani have you ever done the Kington 8 Peaks route in that area.... start and finishes, funnily enough, in Kington.

    13 miles with perhaps 3000-ish feet of ascent.

    The local scout/charity/rotary group hold it as an annual race/walk/challenge... i did it a few years ago... unfortunately i was thwarted by searching for a summit punch for about half an hour which had been removed, and had to settle for 2nd behind DaveMole of this parish (although his local knowledge was invaluable in getting back to the finish from the final top).

    It makes for a great training run in that area.

  4. #7784
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Over Haddon
    Posts
    2,135
    No I've not Travs but have been in the area when walking Glyndwr's Way which starts in Kington. Two or three TP's up for grabs too so I might make a couple of days of it.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

  5. #7785
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I'm not sure if bicycle related posts are welcome on here any more, but tough, here's another one.
    Well I read that and the rebel in me...23 miles, 2400 feet, average pulse 105, maximum 141, maximum speed 38 mph and maximum gradient (up) 25%. Just a little local loop around Blubberhouses Moor.

    Total of 2468 miles so far for the year - but I have done 13 fell races
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  6. #7786
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Over Haddon
    Posts
    2,135
    But you've omitted the brand of your steed Graham!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

  7. #7787
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    But you've omitted the brand of your steed Graham!
    Not to worry - the data went in the correct column.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  8. #7788
    Master PeteS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Posts
    1,814
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Well I read that and the rebel in me...23 miles, 2400 feet, average pulse 105, maximum 141, maximum speed 38 mph and maximum gradient (up) 25%. Just a little local loop around Blubberhouses Moor.

    Total of 2468 miles so far for the year - but I have done 13 fell races
    Graham - I wonder with all your cycling if you actually do any running other than races? With my aging years and recurring injuries, I'm wondering if this is the way to go and just concentrate on the bike. I really don't want to give up running entirely but, with the obvious notable exception of the downhills, I don't see much difference in training benefit between a good hilly ride and a comparable ascent on a run.

  9. #7789
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Graham - I wonder with all your cycling if you actually do any running other than races? With my aging years and recurring injuries, I'm wondering if this is the way to go and just concentrate on the bike. I really don't want to give up running entirely but, with the obvious notable exception of the downhills, I don't see much difference in training benefit between a good hilly ride and a comparable ascent on a run.
    The short answer is "No".

    The very long answer is between 55-65 years I raced 50 times a year and did an average total running mileage of 1200. That was enough to be competitive in my vet. category unless, say, Ken Taylor or Kieran turned up.

    When I was 65 I had an arthroscopy and my surgeon showed me (colour pictures) that my cartilage had virtually disappeared and told me I would need new knees one day - so stop fell running.

    So between 65 and 74 years I basically only did short races, averaging 55 races a year, I never ran a step unless it was in a race. So eg in 2018 I ran 373 miles in total in 65 races. However that year I cycled around 1500 miles to keep my heart and lungs working.

    I had decided to stop fell running because it hurts too much but this year I have run in 13 races to see if I could win some V75 prizes but I have only run a total of 71 miles so far. However I have ridden nearly 2500 miles.

    Obviously running and cycling use different muscles but if my pulse on the bike is around 140-150 bpm then that is what it would be on a serious fell race and I don't think my heart cares very much what my legs are doing.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  10. #7790
    Moderator noel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Western Peak District
    Posts
    5,921
    I've seen some people do distance raced [divided by] distance driven to races, as a ratio.

    Perhaps the one you need Graham is distance run in total [divided by] number of prizes won. It sounds like your current ratio will be very hard to beat.

Similar Threads

  1. Overnight road bike ride
    By fishbulb in forum Training
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 22-09-2019, 03:52 PM
  2. first ride on the road bike:-(
    By SEFTON in forum Training
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 21-01-2011, 08:28 PM
  3. so you think you ride a bike
    By IanDarkpeak in forum General chat!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-10-2010, 11:28 PM
  4. Anyone fancy a bike ride?
    By JeffM in forum Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-05-2009, 01:41 PM
  5. Easter Lakes Bike ride.
    By Al Fowler in forum General chat!
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 07-04-2009, 08:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •