Page 783 of 846 FirstFirst ... 283683733773781782783784785793833 ... LastLast
Results 7,821 to 7,830 of 8451

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    If you do give it a go, make sure you're wearing a helmet and gloves. And make sure you haven't got any loose laces or similar on the chain side.

Best bet is to go slowly, so when you do forget to pedal, (which you will), it will just lift you off the saddle, rather than fire you over the 'bars
    Thanks for the advice Marco, including the mention of unclipping from a rotating pedal in your last post.

It's quickly becoming not such of a good idea!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Thanks for the advice Marco, including the mention of unclipping from a rotating pedal in your last post.

It's quickly becoming not such of a good idea!
    Fixed wheel is to cycling, what fell is to running; Grovelling uphill, legs-in-the-washing-machine-on-spin-cycle on the descents, lots more skill required and all with the knowledge that if it goes wrong it's way more dangerous

I loved fell, and did it as long as I could, but fixed wheel has a lot of the same ingredients and it's my belief that all cyclists should try it at least once.

Looking at the map, you definitely don't want to be heading downhill to Bakewell for a first ride. Heading west looks the best option to start off with to me

I think I'll not bother. The cononley hipster scene will remain unchallenged.

Still suffering with sore calves from Sunday it was a spin on the Moda today. The bright sun in a cloudless sky was deceiving as a cold south easterly let me know that it was still only early March.

I headed west up to Taddington and then Millers Dale, Litton and on to Windmill. Over to Peak Forest and then Wheston. I dropped into Tideswell and called in to see a fell running friend in Millers Dale. He was busy with his chainsaw cutting logs. Up out of Millers Dale to Topley Pike and on to Chelmorton before the usual route via Magpie Mine home.

A lovely ride on mainly single lane roads the only occurrence of note was being accosted by a massive Alsatian type dog in Wheston. With its top lip curled up and teeth on show it looked like it meant business as it charged towards me. I unclipped my right foot and was about to give it a mouthful of Northwave Arctic Boot when it disappeared behind me and lost interest.In the old days I would have taken hold of my pump from beneath the cross bar and given it a whack!

If I had been on a fixie I would probably of crashed and been eaten alive!

Anyway, a lovely day of 41 miles, 4,213 feet in a steady 3hrs 17 min. This evenings Pilates class was most welcome.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 09-03-2022 at 10:56 AM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

If I had been on a fixie I would probably of crashed and been eaten alive!
    So: another reason why riding a fixed wheel is a bad idea?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Headline!

I saw someone on a F/W today, pausing in Ilkley. He seemed to be getting his breath back. The bike was an old steel one, with mudguards, and the rider was very old - so it can't have been Brett.

Well, I don't think it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Headline!

I saw someone on a F/W today, pausing in Ilkley. He seemed to be getting his breath back. The bike was an old steel one, with mudguards, and the rider was very old - so it can't have been Brett.

Well, I don't think it was.
    Wasn't me, either. I haven't seen a F/W bike, other than my own, being ridden since Monday

If your wondering if it was Brett, here's a picture of what his frame looks like

Hardly inconspicuous is it?

Wasn't me, either. I haven't seen a F/W bike, other than my own, being ridden since Monday

If your wondering if it was Brett, here's a picture of what his frame looks like

Naaah. Wouldn't do for me: self-effacing, quiet, modest, introverted.

Now Brett on the other hand...
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 11-03-2022 at 08:03 PM.

Weird looking contraption. The back dropouts are the wrong way and the BB has a cocyx.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Weird looking contraption. The back dropouts are the wrong way and the BB has a cocyx.
    But Mr B, it's sculpture and an artistic masterpiece. Look at the curved, oval, seat tube to give you the shortest chain stays possible.

Goodness knows what it rides like; and don't even think of asking the price if you're not sitting down.

The rear dropouts are called track ends because all fixed wheel bikes need a way of adjusting the rear wheel forwards or backwards to keep the chain taut. The shark fin, (hence the name), is an aerodynamic device to make it faster; I've no idea if it actually works, but I wouldn't mind trying ...