Page 783 of 791 FirstFirst ... 283683733773781782783784785 ... LastLast
Results 7,821 to 7,830 of 7909

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

  1. #7821
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Over Haddon
    Posts
    2,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I'm glad to see you've altered your prediction this morning, as I triple-checked the start list and couldn't find Pogačar's name on it.

    I wasn't able to log on earlier, due to another Windows update, but here is my prediction:

    I think it will be between Bernal and Roglič for the win. Roglič is the big favourite, but I think Bernal is better so I'm going for

    1 Egan Bernal
    2 Primož Roglič
    3 Mikel Landa
    Yes Marco. I watched the presentation and knew that Pogacar wasn't riding but still put him down instead of Roglic!

    By the way I was in Mid Wales during the week and had a lovely 36 miles ride which included up Bwlch y Groes. Lived up to its reputation as being a toughie as there is no respite once you start. Simon Warren gives it 10/10.
    I selected my lowest gear at the bottom and ground it out staying seated for the duration as I did not want to have to stand up because my right calf is giving me jip again!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

  2. #7822
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Posts
    1,836
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

    By the way I was in Mid Wales during the week and had a lovely 36 miles ride which included up Bwlch y Groes. Lived up to its reputation as being a toughie as there is no respite once you start. Simon Warren gives it 10/10.
    I selected my lowest gear at the bottom and ground it out staying seated for the duration as I did not want to have to stand up because my right calf is giving me jip again!
    Which way? The south side is the desperately steep side, but the northern approach (which I went up a few weeks ago) goes on for longer. I haven't tried the eastern approach (from Lake Vyrnwy).
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

  3. #7823
    Senior Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Flat SE Staffordshire
    Posts
    556
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Yes Marco. I watched the presentation and knew that Pogacar wasn't riding but still put him down instead of Roglic!

    By the way I was in Mid Wales during the week and had a lovely 36 miles ride which included up Bwlch y Groes. Lived up to its reputation as being a toughie as there is no respite once you start. Simon Warren gives it 10/10.
    I selected my lowest gear at the bottom and ground it out staying seated for the duration as I did not want to have to stand up because my right calf is giving me jip again!
    You didn't say which way you rode it; I've only ridden it coming from Bala (the North side), but as Anthony Kay pointed out a couple of weeks ago the South side is the more severe.

    Best of luck with your predictions

  4. #7824
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Over Haddon
    Posts
    2,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    You didn't say which way you rode it; I've only ridden it coming from Bala (the North side), but as Anthony Kay pointed out a couple of weeks ago the South side is the more severe.

    Best of luck with your predictions
    From Llanymawddwy, the South side. The descent to Llanuwchllyn, the North side, and also the venue for Ras Y Aran was a bit sketchy, especially when the road surface turned green under the trees, half way down, just before the cattle grid!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

  5. #7825
    Senior Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Flat SE Staffordshire
    Posts
    556
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    By the way I was in Mid Wales during the week and had a lovely 36 miles ride which included up Bwlch y Groes. Lived up to its reputation as being a toughie as there is no respite once you start. Simon Warren gives it 10/10.
    I selected my lowest gear at the bottom and ground it out staying seated for the duration as I did not want to have to stand up because my right calf is giving me jip again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    From Llanymawddwy, the South side. The descent to Llanuwchllyn, the North side, and also the venue for Ras Y Aran was a bit sketchy, especially when the road surface turned green under the trees, half way down, just before the cattle grid!
    Can you furnish us with some details of your route? The only way I can see of making a 36 mile circular route to include this epic climb, (much used in the Milk Race - one for the older readers), is to start and finish at the South end of Llyn Tegid

    It would be interesting to know what gear ratio you were using to remain seated for the whole climb, too.
    Last edited by Marco; 15-08-2021 at 12:36 PM.

  6. #7826
    Knowing that Tom P. would be strutting his stuff today in sunny Spain I thought I would re-ride his Gran Fondo but this time without my son looking back with a "where are you?" look.

    But I added a couple of climbs - as you do - so 35 miles, 3400 feet.

    That takes me over 2000 miles so far this year which is around 200 lower than last year at this time but I have done three times as many foot races, which must count for something. One of these was Whittle Pike last Thursday, always a favourite when I was in my prime and still a favourite in my dotage since I was First V75.

    Fell running eh? Can't beat it!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  7. #7827
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Over Haddon
    Posts
    2,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Can you furnish us with some details of your route? The only way I can see of making a 36 mile circular route to include this epic climb, (much used in the Milk Race - one for the older readers), is to start and finish at the South end of Llyn Tegid

    It would be interesting to know what gear ratio you were using to remain seated for the whole climb, too.
    Of course.

    I started and finished in Dinas Mawddwy, over Bwlch Y Groes to Llanuwchllyn down to Dolgellau up to Cross Foxes and Bwlch Oerddrws and the fantastic A470 descent back to Dinas Mawddwy.

    The main reason for this ride was to see if I could get up Bwlch Y Groes as I am doing the Cambrian Coast Sportive on 18th September and have gone for the Big Dog option of 101 miles and 9,675 feet of ascent.

    My gear ratio was the standard 50/34 front and 11/32 rear which came with the bike. My "best" bike has 50/34 front and 11/28 rear which I don't think I would have got up Bwlch Y Groes in the saddle.

    I don't usually do sportive's as they are generally a rip off but every now and again a scenic and tough one takes my fancy. The only other one I have got my eye on is the Bealach Mor on the Applecross Peninsular.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

  8. #7828
    Senior Member Murt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Dinas Mawddwy
    Posts
    104
    [QUOTE=Llani Boy;675347]Of course.

    I started and finished in Dinas Mawddwy, over Bwlch Y Groes to Llanuwchllyn down to Dolgellau up to Cross Foxes and Bwlch Oerddrws and the fantastic A470 descent back to Dinas Mawddwy.


    I’m not remotely interested in cycling (yet?) however I am privileged to live in Dinas Mawddwy and highly recommend the Llew Coch if you want a proper pub for B&B or post ride recovery.

    The bonus is that there are some belting running routes around here too.

  9. #7829
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South South Pennines
    Posts
    244
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Can you furnish us with some details of your route? The only way I can see of making a 36 mile circular route to include this epic climb, (much used in the Milk Race - one for the older readers), is to start and finish at the South end of Llyn Tegid

    It would be interesting to know what gear ratio you were using to remain seated for the whole climb, too.
    Iíve done it from all 3 sides and the most brutal is from the south (Dinas Maddwy).
    Last year I was feeling fit and arranged to meet the family at Lake Vyrnwy (from my in-laws, 12 miles away) and the plan was to do all 3 ascents. Thankfully I ran out of time (!) after 2 and missed out the Bala side.
    Churned away on a 36/30: very hard work and came out of the saddle.
    Such a beautiful climb and area; a tonic to busy Northern Snowdonia.

  10. #7830
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Over Haddon
    Posts
    2,077
    [QUOTE=Murt;675348]
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Of course.

    I started and finished in Dinas Mawddwy, over Bwlch Y Groes to Llanuwchllyn down to Dolgellau up to Cross Foxes and Bwlch Oerddrws and the fantastic A470 descent back to Dinas Mawddwy.


    I’m not remotely interested in cycling (yet?) however I am privileged to live in Dinas Mawddwy and highly recommend the Llew Coch if you want a proper pub for B&B or post ride recovery.

    The bonus is that there are some belting running routes around here too.
    I had planned to rehydrate in the aforementioned Llew Coch but it was closed to the public as there was a funeral wake going on in there. I've gate crashed wedding receptions and other assorted functions in the past but I draw the line at wakes!

    So I spent half and hour in the car park by the bungalows, drinking water and eating my sandwiches, whilst chatting to a bloke who had recently moved into the village from Ramsgate and works at the Dovey Cycle Park.
    With an accent like his, 50 years ago he would not have been allowed to buy a pint in the Llew Coch never mind a house!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Similar Threads

  1. Overnight road bike ride
    By fishbulb in forum Training
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 22-09-2019, 03:52 PM
  2. first ride on the road bike:-(
    By SEFTON in forum Training
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 21-01-2011, 08:28 PM
  3. so you think you ride a bike
    By IanDarkpeak in forum General chat!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-10-2010, 11:28 PM
  4. Anyone fancy a bike ride?
    By JeffM in forum Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15-05-2009, 01:41 PM
  5. Easter Lakes Bike ride.
    By Al Fowler in forum General chat!
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 07-04-2009, 08:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •