Page 784 of 847 FirstFirst ... 284684734774782783784785786794834 ... LastLast
Results 7,831 to 7,840 of 8464

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Forty seven miles (2900 feet) round Addingham, Gisburn, Hellifield, Gargrave...against some wild wind but also basking in some warm sunshine. My numb bum was counter - balanced by the glow of muscles exercised after my longest ride of the year taking me over 500 miles. Gearing 11 x 2 with none of this F/W posing business.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

6.7 miles (151ft) posing on the F/W on the western edge of the Tame valley; no other F/Ws spotted.

Only went out to check the adjustments I'd made were safe. Twenty plus years ago, if you wanted to drop your 'bars 10mm you just got to work with an Allen key on your stem bolt. Now it requires working on three Allen key bolts and slicing 10mm of Chrome-Moly steel off the top of your forks with an angle grinder.

I also took the plunge and fitted SPD-SL pedals to the F/W; clearly there isn't enough excitement in my life at the moment.

I Had to do it, after measuring the pedal clearance. I tilted the bike away from a wall until the left pedal was making contact with the ground, and then measured the horizontal distance from the seat pin bolt to the wall. Old school pedals (from the 1980s) with clips and straps - 41.5cm. SPD-SL pedals - 46.7cm. I no longer have access to CAD software, so will have to calculate the lean angles manually, but by the looks of it the SPD-SL pedals will allow a lean angle of just over 45 degrees without grounding and putting me into orbit.

So it was with some trepidation that I ventured out with clip-in pedals and F/W for the first time. Surprisingly, I had no difficulties or incidents (crashes). At the first give-way sign I unclipped, first time, about 50 metres before the line. The pedals have a release force setting with around 32 levels, so I set this to level 4 (easy release) it would seem that this is the thing to do if your are going to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

I also took the plunge and fitted SPD-SL pedals to the F/W; clearly there isn't enough excitement in my life at the moment.
    Oh chapeau!

After thoroughly enjoying Paris-Nice and Tirreno- Adriatico over the last week and my calf still keeping the running shoes in the garage I decided that, Today Matthew I'm Going To Be Tadej Pogacar!

Off I set on a glorious but breezy day on the Moda. Into a headwind up to Flagg and then on to Longnor via Crowdecote. From Longnor I took the Buxton Cycling Clubs famous Mountain Time Trial route up to Flash Bar Stores via Edge Top Road. The Strava KOM is held by John Archibald at 12.10. I took 29.37 but I did stop for a pee and to take a photograph of Chrome Hill!

From the stores, over the A53 to Flash, Britain's highest village at 1518 feet. Down to the back of the Roaches and then over the A53 again at The Winking Man. Over the moors to the Mermaid and then down into Elkstone, up to Reaps Moor and back down to Hulme End where the much needed cafe was closed.

So on to Hartington where I sat outside the Village Stores and refuelled with a Pork Pie, Crisps and a large Tomato followed by a Latte. It was most enjoyable sat in the warm sunshine watching the world go by.

Now full of energy it was up Long Dale to Earl Sterndale and on to Chelmorton and then the A6 to Taddington.
    Up the sharp climb out of Taddington and then the much needed, mainly downhill, run home via Magpie Mine.

A lovely day of 51 miles, 5,112 feet in 3hrs 52 min and I thoroughly enjoyed being Tadej Pogacar for the day.

I wonder if he enjoys a Pork Pie?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    After thoroughly enjoying Paris-Nice and Tirreno- Adriatico over the last week and my calf still keeping the running shoes in the garage I decided that, Today Matthew I'm Going To Be Tadej Pogacar!

A lovely day of 51 miles, 5,112 feet in 3hrs 52 min and I thoroughly enjoyed being Tadej Pogacar for the day.

I suppose on some days Tadej Pogacar wakes up and decides that he is bored with being himself and so...

In the words of my children ‘Pork Pies are the food of champions’; therefore he must do!

A beautiful sunny morning, after a frost, meant it was too tempting. Having successfully stayed on the F/W with clip-in pedals last time, I decided to venture out a bit further and somewhat faster.

A fairly stiff 13mph breeze from the south west enabled me to reach 30.0mph on a descent, (at a cadence 136rpm ),on route to Elford. Continued to Harlaston, and the beautiful river Mease, before reaching Edingale and the start of the way back.

Caught a car, (that was following a tractor), in a 1500m pursuit at 18mph on the climb out of the Mease valley to Croxhall. I was heading into the wind too, and would never have caught it on gears. Something of a grind back into the 13mph wind after that; I'm beginning to see the appeal of a double fixed rear wheel

Some flooding in the Tame valley, after yesterday's deluge, but nothing I couldn't ride through with care

16.4 miles (497ft) in 57 minutes on 74.1" fixed

There are two routes north of Malham up to Malham Tarn. The steeper (Cove Road) with some 1 in 5 sections according to Simon Warren (Cycling Climbs Of Yorkshire) being tougher than the Malham Rakes climb with its road sign promising 20%. Today I took the easier route because I wanted to enjoy the glorious plateau at the top called Street Gate - an old roman road now known as Mastiles Lane - under the clear blue sky.

On a sunny day Malham heaves with tourists although relatively few cars are allowed into the village thereby encouraging tourists to wander all over the roads, with uncontrolled children and associated dogs on lengthy leads. Oh joy!

But nothing could spoil 48 miles (3700 feet) of fighting the ferocious (or "brisk" according to the BBC) wind all day.

The sight of a summer sun also encourages the emergence of posing "look at me" cars. Today a Ferrari (in red), a Bentley (blazing blue) and two Lamborghinis - one in grey and one in yellow. Naturally.

I was, of course, on my modest Bianchi in understated celeste.

But two Lamborghinis?

Common as muck round our way.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 19-03-2022 at 10:06 PM.

I was also fighting the ferocious wind all day Graham. At least it kept me cool in the blazing sunshine.

I had no idea where I was going to go or for how long I would be out as I set off on the Moda with its mudguards and SPD pedals towards Buxton. Somewhere different I thought, so up Long Hill it was and down to Whaley Bridge. Up to Kettleshulme and Windgather Rocks and down The Street to the Goyt Valley where I spotted an ice cream van. The first 99 of the year was delicious and only £2 with a flake!

Up out of the Goyt to the Cat and Fiddle and by now I had a plan which was to return to Buxton but that went straight out of the window as no way was I riding that busy road into a headwind so I dropped down into Wildboarclough instead. I kept a lookout for Noel as I sped through his manor and on reaching the A54 went straight across to Wincle where refreshments were taken at the Brewery. As tempting as it was to have some of their fantastic ale, I stuck to coffee with a bag of Pipers Crisps to eat with my banana. Not a combination I've tried before but it did the trick.

Refreshed, it was up and over Gun Hill to Meerbrook, where I turned left on a road I had not been on before, which turned out to have a sting in its tail of at least 20% at Roche Grange, and which brought me out under The Roaches. Another left took me to Roach End and then evenutally to the Winking Man where I crossed the A53. From here it was a fierce headwind on to The Mermaid and down into Warslow, Hulme End, and Hartington. A brief respite in Long Dale before I got the full force again at Hurdlow, where I crossed the A515, and the battle continued all the way home via Monyash.

My longest ride this year of 65 miles, 7,146 feet in a tough 5hrs 13 min.

Most of the roads were surprisingly quiet but all car parks I passed were full. No fancy cars for me but as I was devouring my 99 a very smart, but a bit blingy, VW California camper van drove out of the very steep car park entrance and there was an almighty clunk and scraping noise. It didn't stop but a few minutes later I passed it parked on the road with the driver on his hands and knees messing about with a loose front spoiler.
    I couldn't see if he was crying or not!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 20-03-2022 at 01:11 AM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I was also fighting the ferocious wind all day Graham. At least it kept me cool in the blazing sunshine.

I had no idea where I was going to go or for how long I would be out as I set off on the Moda with its mudguards and SPD pedals towards Buxton. Somewhere different I thought, so up Long Hill it was and down to Whaley Bridge. Up to Kettleshulme and Windgather Rocks and down The Street to the Goyt Valley where I spotted an ice cream van. The first 99 of the year was delicious and only £2 with a flake!

Up out of the Goyt to the Cat and Fiddle and by now I had a plan which was to return to Buxton but that went straight out of the window as no way was I riding that busy road into a headwind so I dropped down into Wildboarclough instead. I kept a lookout for Noel as I sped through his manor and on reaching the A54 went straight across to Wincle where refreshments were taken at the Brewery. As tempting as it was to have some of their fantastic ale, I stuck to coffee with a bag of Pipers Crisps to eat with my banana. Not a combination I've tried before but it did the trick.

Refreshed, it was up and over Gun Hill to Meerbrook, where I turned left on a road I had not been on before, which turned out to have a sting in its tail of at least 20% at Roche Grange, and which brought me out under The Roaches. Another left took me to Roach End and then evenutally to the Winking Man where I crossed the A53. From here it was a fierce headwind on to The Mermaid and down into Warslow, Hulme End, and Hartington. A brief respite in Long Dale before I got the full force again at Hurdlow, where I crossed the A515, and the battle continued all the way home via Monyash.

My longest ride this year of 65 miles, 7,146 feet in a tough 5hrs 13 min.

Most of the roads were surprisingly quiet but all car parks I passed were full. No fancy cars for me but as I was devouring my 99 a very smart, but a bit blingy, VW California camper van drove out of the very steep car park entrance and there was an almighty clunk and scraping noise. It didn't stop but a few minutes later I passed it parked on the road with the driver on his hands and knees messing about with a loose front spoiler.
    I couldn't see if he was crying or not!
    I'm impressed. I knew I would finish at 48 + miles and asked myself if I should do a loop to make it 50; and concluded "I've had enough - so Naaah"
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 20-03-2022 at 10:41 AM.