Page 785 of 846 FirstFirst ... 285685735775783784785786787795835 ... LastLast
Results 7,841 to 7,850 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

I heard a cyclist comment today as they passed me that you need a gravel bike to get from storiths to barden now! A lot of debris about.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    There are two routes north of Malham up to Malham Tarn. The steeper (Cove Road) with some 1 in 5 sections according to Simon Warren (Cycling Climbs Of Yorkshire) being tougher than the Malham Rakes climb with its road sign promising 20%. Today I took the easier route because I wanted to enjoy the glorious plateau at the top called Street Gate - an old roman road now known as Mastiles Lane - under the clear blue sky.

On a sunny day Malham heaves with tourists although relatively few cars are allowed into the village thereby encouraging tourists to wander all over the roads, with uncontrolled children and associated dogs on lengthy leads. Oh joy!

But nothing could spoil 48 miles (3700 feet) of fighting the ferocious (or "brisk" according to the BBC) wind all day.

The sight of a summer sun also encourages the emergence of posing "look at me" cars. Today a Ferrari (in red), a Bentley (blazing blue) and two Lamborghinis - one in grey and one in yellow. Naturally.

I was, of course, on my modest Bianchi in understated celeste.

But two Lamborghinis?

Common as muck round our way.
    We saw those cars on the A65 and counted about 10 last friday morning as we made our way to Gargrave to test ride a tandem. Kate my wife was knocked off her bike 6 months ago and due to concussion has double vision that isn't improving. She has been happy on the TACX trainer over the winter but as she previously covered 8000 miles per year needed to get outside and pedalling. The tandem requires a bit more thought to ride but we enjoyed it and are collecting a new one this friday. Hopefully we will continue to ride up the French cols this summer.
    One step beyond.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SCOOT View Post
    We saw those cars on the A65 and counted about 10 last friday morning as we made our way to Gargrave to test ride a tandem. Kate my wife was knocked off her bike 6 months ago and due to concussion has double vision that isn't improving. She has been happy on the TACX trainer over the winter but as she previously covered 8000 miles per year needed to get outside and pedalling. The tandem requires a bit more thought to ride but we enjoyed it and are collecting a new one this friday. Hopefully we will continue to ride up the French cols this summer.
    I wish you both well with that SCOOT I reckon you will both find it a lot of fun
    The older I get the Faster I was

Mrs Noel and I have a tandem. Neither of us is a keen cyclist, but we really like it. We've done a few 3 or 4-day breaks staying at hostels.

The big advantage is that no matter who's the strongest cyclist, you're always together. So there's no getting left behind or feeling like you're always waiting for the other person.

You should enter the tandem triathlon. That's certainly a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Mrs Noel and I have a tandem. Neither of us is a keen cyclist, but we really like it. The big advantage is that no matter who's the strongest cyclist, you're always together. So there's no getting left behind or feeling like you're always waiting for the other person.
    Fixed wheel?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Mrs Noel and I have a tandem. Neither of us is a keen cyclist, but we really like it.The big advantage is that no matter who's the strongest cyclist, you're always together. So there's no getting left behind or feeling like you're always waiting for the other person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Fixed wheel?
    Can't do fixed wheel tandem on the road, Graham. With the much longer wheelbase you have to stop pedalling on very bumpy ground to avoid clouting the pedals or cranks

On the subject of F/W, I thought I was going to total mine on Sunday. Whilst I can no longer be referred to as young and stupid, it was refreshing to find out that I have at least managed to retain half of the attributes.

For reasons that I clearly hadn't thought about enough, I chose to make my first ride in my brand new cycling shoes, with brand new SPD-SL cleats, on the F/W. Whilst you'd expect that with brand new gear, as opposed to well worn stuff, it would be harder to unclip your feet - this was most definitely not the case. Pulling away from stationary, out of the saddle and applying full power, I pulled my left foot clean out the pedal - which I have never done before.

The effect of suddenly releasing my left foot at full power caused the rear wheel to lift off the ground by around a foot. This caused the rear wheel to spin, and when it landed the sudden de-acceleration caused a hard-braking effect that almost put me over the 'bars. The bike almost stalled with my hands holding the brake hoods, and my right foot balancing on the one remaining pedal I was attached to at the very top point. I managed to sit down and re-attach my left foot, and then continued, nonchalantly, as though nothing had happened. The car that had pulled out of the turn directly behind me, rightly, gave me a very wide berth - probably not actually believing what he thought he'd just seen.

My audition for the circus is next week
    Last edited by Marco; 23-03-2022 at 07:47 PM.

Tandem pick upday tomorrow so maiden voyage on Friday. A nice local 42 mile loop taking in Hartside and Alston may be on the cards but if a few set up tweaks are needed this may be changed. Good to get encouraging remarks on here which settles my mind that it isn's such a daft idea.
    Andy Beaty CFR
    One step beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Can't do fixed wheel tandem on the road, Graham. With the much longer wheelbase you have to stop pedalling on very bumpy ground to avoid clouting the pedals or cranks

On the subject of F/W, I thought I was going to total mine on Sunday. Whilst I can no longer be referred to as young and stupid, it was refreshing to find out that I have at least managed to retain half of the attributes.

For reasons that I clearly hadn't thought about enough, I chose to make my first ride in my brand new cycling shoes, with brand new SPD-SL cleats, on the F/W. Whilst you'd expect that with brand new gear, as opposed to well worn stuff, it would be harder to unclip your feet - this was most definitely not the case. Pulling away from stationary, out of the saddle and applying full power, I pulled my left foot clean out the pedal - which I have never done before.

The effect of suddenly releasing my left foot at full power caused the rear wheel to lift off the ground by around a foot. This caused the rear wheel to spin, and when it landed the sudden de-acceleration caused a hard-braking effect that almost put me over the 'bars. The bike almost stalled with my hands holding the brake hoods, and my right foot balancing on the one remaining pedal I was attached to at the very top point. I managed to sit down and re-attach my left foot, and then continued, nonchalantly, as though nothing had happened. The car that had pulled out of the turn directly behind me, rightly, gave me a very wide berth - probably not actually believing what he thought he'd just seen.

My audition for the circus is next week
    I am pleased to see you were composed enough to make clear notes.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Unseasonably warm, so out on the Scott Solace today in bibshorts and short sleeves. Nice.

Up to Taddington and down into Millers Dale and up again to Tideswell, across The Anchor crossroads and down into the Hope Valley at Bradwell. Along to Castleton and it was so busy with folk, like Bank Holiday Monday.

I thought a midweek ascent of Winnats Pass would be nice and quiet but how wrong I was. I must have breathed in a years worth of exhaust fumes on the way up. It was hard work especially as there was no room to do any weaving so it was head down and grind up in a straight line. Once at the top I looked up and saw that the sky above was full of Paragliders taking advantage of the updraft along Lords Seat. I counted 24 of them.

Up to Mam Nick and a lovely descent into the Edale Valley. Everywhere looks so dry so I reckon a CR is on the cards for Sunday's Edale Skyline Fell Race. Down the valley to Hope and then uphill through Bradwell to Windmill where I took a left to Great Hucklow and Foolow. Over the "scratter" to Monsal Head and Ashford. A slight detour to Kirk Dale which gave me a nice downhill run home.

47 miles and 4,354 feet in 3hrs 18 min. Surprisingly few other cyclists about on such a lovely day. Two rest days now until Saturday.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Mrs Noel and I have a tandem. Neither of us is a keen cyclist, but we really like it. We've done a few 3 or 4-day breaks staying at hostels.

The big advantage is that no matter who's the strongest cyclist, you're always together. So there's no getting left behind or feeling like you're always waiting for the other person.

You should enter the tandem triathlon. That's certainly a lot of fun.
    Bit of a pain in the arse if you had an argument.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent