Page 788 of 846 FirstFirst ... 288688738778786787788789790798838 ... LastLast
Results 7,871 to 7,880 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post

Anyway it was Dwars Door Vlaanderen today and I have Eurosport - so why ride when you can watch?

It was a great race and I will not reveal... other than to say that when Tom Pidcock was wondering why on his 53 he could not catch Victor Campenaerts going downhill he was told that VC was riding a 58.

"That's the reason then!" said local-lad Tom.

Although he didn't clarify if he could actually push a 58!
    I have just watched it Graham and as you say, a great race.

I notice that your "local lad" Tom has picked up that annoying habit, that the Yates brothers have, of saying "yeah" every 5 or 6 words when being interviewed.

Have a word!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    I have just watched it Graham and as you say, a great race.

I notice that your "local lad" Tom has picked up that annoying habit, that the Yates brothers have, of saying "yeah" every 5 or 6 words when being interviewed.

Have a word!
    Yeah!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Yeah!
    Such verbal fillers can be annoying, but I find some more annoying than others. I particularly dislike "like", though innit and you know what I mean come close.

I read somewhere that a teacher tried to stop the use of "like" by pointing it out to his pupils whenever they used it. They got their revenge by counting up his use of umm and err - apparently just as frequent. It is strange that some fillers, such as "n'est-ce pas", almost seem sophisticated.

It seems the ambition for the modern sportsperson (footballers in particular) is to only talk in fillers and cliches. Obviously, we have a lot of respect for them, they'll be there or thereabouts by the end of the end. Obviously, I was so pleased with today's performance, it shows we've got a great team spirit and on our day we can give anyone a game. I'm just trying to do my best for the team and hope to keep injury free...

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    It seems the ambition for the modern sportsperson (footballers in particular) is to only talk in fillers and cliches. Obviously, we have a lot of respect for them, they'll be there or thereabouts by the end of the end. Obviously, I was so pleased with today's performance, it shows we've got a great team spirit and on our day we can give anyone a game. I'm just trying to do my best for the team and hope to keep injury free...

Whilst i completely agree, the media have to take a lot of the blame...

They clamour for controversial and maverick comments. Yet when anybody says anything remotely interesting or controversial, they are absolutely lambasted for it in the press.

Its little wonder that any kind of independent comment is coached out of them by their clubs etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I may have mentioned this before... but has anyone done the Dun Fell Road from the Eden Valley up onto the top of the Cross Fell Range....? Seems to have a reputation on the internet as one of the toughest in England.

It's approx 5 miles and 2000-something feet once turning off the road linking the villages together. Road to nowhere (except a radar station) and a popular haunt of cyclists.

It's actually been a favoured training run of mine, a good hard 10 mile race up and down where you can just get head down and go at it without worry (except for cyclists coming down at 50mph!)

Have had some good races up against cyclists, they murder me up the lower section, but when it really pulls up in the 2nd half i have the upper hand.... i haven't beaten many cyclists down though!
    I'm disappointed to say I haven't cycled, or run, up Great Dun Fell. When I was regularly day-tripping, (for work), up the top end of the M6/M74 and beyond I didn't realise that this wasn't private or that it was tarmacked; definitely a case of 'the one that got away'.

Some cycling sites name it as the toughest climb in the country, although others favour The Cowlyd at 3.1km and average of 13.6%

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I've not done Great Dun Fell either but that's mainly because I rarely take my bike on holiday if I'm the area. Plenty of running/walking to be getting on with you know!

It does have a good reputation and no doubt the closed road is an added attraction. It is also one of the few UK climbs that could claim to be anything like you would find in the Alps. That said, I'm not so sure it is the toughest climb in the country. There are a few that are longer and plenty that are much steeper. The Strava segment lists it as 7.1km with an average gradient of 9% and maxing out at 20%.

I've long been a fan of Simon Warrens cycle climb books and I've ticked off quite a few mainly in Wales and the Midlands. Most of his rating I'd agree with and GDF gets an 11/10 but so does Bealach-na-Ba which he describes as 'the Holy Grail, the toughest and wildest climb in Britain.'
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    I've not done Great Dun Fell either but that's mainly because I rarely take my bike on holiday if I'm the area. Plenty of running/walking to be getting on with you know!

It does have a good reputation and no doubt the closed road is an added attraction. It is also one of the few UK climbs that could claim to be anything like you would find in the Alps. That said, I'm not so sure it is the toughest climb in the country. There are a few that are longer and plenty that are much steeper. The Strava segment lists it as 7.1km with an average gradient of 9% and maxing out at 20%.

I've long been a fan of Simon Warrens cycle climb books and I've ticked off quite a few mainly in Wales and the Midlands. Most of his rating I'd agree with and GDF gets an 11/10 but so does Bealach-na-Ba which he describes as 'the Holy Grail, the toughest and wildest climb in Britain.'
    Yeees. Simon says it "reaches 25%" but I'm dubious.

I note he claims Rosedale Chimney has some 1 in 3 and he broke two chains climbing it. But then only gives it 10/10 after having written "this is the greatest climb in England.It is simply beyond compare".

I have 5 of his books and I have heard him give a talk and I think one has to remember he is trying to sell his books.

Richard Moore

Died this week at 49.

There aren't too many good writers on cycling I have on my bookshelf but he was one of them.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Some cycling sites name it as the toughest climb in the country, although others favour The Cowlyd at 3.1km and average of 13.6%
    The Cowlyd is tough and worthy of note but I found Afon Ddu far worse. Having a particularly masochistic day, I followed those up with Bwlch-Y-Ddeufaen - a far more enjoyable climb and well worth it if you are in the area. I had planned the road to Nebo on the way back to Betws but saw sense and bailed out at Llanrwst. The Conwy valley is pretty much a cycling Mecca if you like brutal climbs. Oh to be that fit again!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast