Page 789 of 791 FirstFirst ... 289689739779787788789790791 LastLast
Results 7,881 to 7,890 of 7902

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Another day, and another inner-tube bites the dust. Having not had a puncture for three years, in the space of two weeks I've had two punctures and a front wheel blow-out (sort of).

I found my Park Tools puncture repair kit earlier, and I considered repairing my two recently punctured inner-tubes. A look outside, however, revealed a glorious afternoon. With a forecast of heavy rain here tomorrow, it seemed sensible to cycle today and repair punctures tomorrow.

I duly brought out my fancy bike into the hall and had pumped up my rear tyre, but the front was refusing to take any air. At the third attempt it started taking air and it quickly reached 104psi. When I took the pump off, however, instead of a small hiss there was a very loud and long hiss as the inner-tube ejected the innards of the Presta valve and all 104psi of the air .

I spent 10 minutes trying to find the innards, but didn't find any trace. As I wanted to watch the World Road Race championships, it meant I had a much shortened ride - which was just as well as I had to steal the front wheel off my bike which is on the turbo-trainer and doesn't normally leave the house as it's not entirely round.

On clearing up the debris when I returned, I found that the wheel with the exploding valve rattled. What's more, when I rotated the wheel I could hear and feel something move inside the inner-tube. It would seem that the innards must have broken and then been fired out of the valve, like a cannon, only to hit the pump and rebound down the valve. Yes, I struggle to believe it too. I feel inclined to cut the inner-tube up and to find out.
    Last edited by Marco; 26-09-2021 at 05:44 PM.

The forecast heavy rain arrived, so I repaired the two punctured inner-tubes and looked at the blown out one. This is what the valve looked like before I took the inner-tube out

As it definitely had something rattling inside, I cut open, (to grievous personal discomfort as it was a top end Continental one), the inner-tube and this is what I found

The metal part to the left is the bottom, working part, of the Presta valve and is 16mm long. Worryingly, the top part, which will be at least this long, is missing. No doubt I will put my foot on it at some time when I haven't put anything on my feet

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The forecast heavy rain arrived, so I repaired the two punctured inner-tubes and looked at the blown out one. This is what the valve looked like before I took the inner-tube out

As it definitely had something rattling inside, I cut open, (to grievous personal discomfort as it was a top end Continental one), the inner-tube and this is what I found

The metal part to the left is the bottom, working part, of the Presta valve and is 16mm long. Worryingly, the top part, which will be at least this long, is missing. No doubt I will put my foot on it at some time when I haven't put anything on my feet
    Interesting!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master

So much for top end Continental inner tubes and Valves !
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Yes, it's hardly a good advert for them.

On further examination I see the Continental one was 'Made in Taiwan', whilst the cheap ones are labelled 'Made in China'. So not that far away, geographically or metaphorically.

I only went for the top end ones after I had a run of inner-tube failures and I thought it must be a batch of cheap s*** inner-tubes. It turned out it wasn't. The real cause was faulty rims, which I bisected with my angle grinder and put in the metal re-cycling bin.

Postponed from April, this weekend finally sees my favourite one day race take place. The hell of the north, Paris Roubaix is this Sunday and will of course be compulsory viewing - in fact other than an early run, I doubt much else will get done.
    The bookies favourite is of course Wout van Aart but I think he looked tired at the worlds after what has been a long season so I'm going for Mathieu van der Poel, starting to look back to near his best. However this race is notoriously unpredictable so a good outside bet would be Kasper Asgreen or maybe Zdenek Stybar and it would be really good to see Tom Pidcock cap a fabulous season off with a podium finish.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Postponed from April, this weekend finally sees my favourite one day race take place. The hell of the north, Paris Roubaix is this Sunday and will of course be compulsory viewing - in fact other than an early run, I doubt much else will get done.
    The bookies favourite is of course Wout van Aart but I think he looked tired at the worlds after what has been a long season so I'm going for Mathieu van der Poel, starting to look back to near his best. However this race is notoriously unpredictable so a good outside bet would be Kasper Asgreen or maybe Zdenek Stybar and it would be really good to see Tom Pidcock cap a fabulous season off with a podium finish.
    I can't say the Paris-Roubaix, or Compiègne-Roubaix as it should be called, is my favourite race. It's far too much of a lottery, but if you like watching people crash and puncture it could be the race for you - especially as the forecast is for rain. Tom Pidcock has previously won the junior version of the race, so he's likely to be the best British contender. If pushed, I'm going for Wout van Aert but anyone could win accept a pure climber.

In homage to Sunday's race, I planned to head out to the roads known locally as 'the hell of the north'. There aren't any cobbles, but the road surface isn't much better and it's only 3 metres wide with a big ditch down one side. In a 4.8 mile stretch of the road it fails to cross a single contour on the OS 1:25000 map, despite the contours being at 5m intervals.

I said planned, as I didn't get there as HS2 had shut the road again. This is the seventh time they've shut it, so far (and four of them have been unannounced), and yet no work has started - they've spent the last two years building their depot car park and building, re-building and then re-building again their village of site huts
    Last edited by Marco; 01-10-2021 at 06:57 PM.

I said planned, as I didn't get there as HS2 had shut the road again. This is the seventh time they've shut it, so far (and four of them have been unannounced), and yet no work has started - they've spent the last two years building their depot car park and building, re-building and then re-building again their village of site huts
    Ah but it's worth it. Fracking, HS2 - I guess I'm just a visionary.

And think of the stories you will tell your grand children about how your training was interrupted by the construction of the greatest railway to be built in the UK since Robert Stephenson.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    It's all about quality control. The top end ones will use the same valves as the cheap ones, but every tube will be inspected in some way; mostly to make sure all the parts are fitted/bonded correctly. The cheap ones will have no quality control in the process whatsoever, but it's a simple process and the chances are everything got done properly. The quality control is needed to gain ISO9000 accreditation, but costs money which gets passed on to the end user. If you're buying tubes, buy cheap; if you're buying mechs, buy expensive...you want them to be looked at closely so you don't get stranded on the A58M on christmas day trying to be the first person to ride the whole Leeds inner ring road.
    Can't climb for toffee...

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    It's all about quality control. The top end ones will use the same valves as the cheap ones, but every tube will be inspected in some way; mostly to make sure all the parts are fitted/bonded correctly. The cheap ones will have no quality control in the process whatsoever, but it's a simple process and the chances are everything got done properly. The quality control is needed to gain ISO9000 accreditation, but costs money which gets passed on to the end user. If you're buying tubes, buy cheap; if you're buying mechs, buy expensive...you want them to be looked at closely so you don't get stranded on the A58M on christmas day trying to be the first person to ride the whole Leeds inner ring road.
    I hope you're right, I bought 10 of them and 7 are still unused. I've never had a valve explode before in my 42 years of riding Presta valved inner-tubes at high pressures.

I still haven't found the other part of the valve, which I estimate will be at least 20mm long. I've taken to walking around the house barefoot, as this normally uncovers sharp pieces of metal, but it's still hiding from me. As the 'incident' happened upstairs on the landing, it appears that it must have ricocheted off the hub or wheel rim and then propelled itself over the near 1 metre high landing wall to a new home downstairs. I will find it, just don't know when yet