Page 789 of 846 FirstFirst ... 289689739779787788789790791799839 ... LastLast
Results 7,881 to 7,890 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Some cycling sites name it as the toughest climb in the country, although others favour The Cowlyd at 3.1km and average of 13.6%
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    The Cowlyd is tough and worthy of note but I found Afon Ddu far worse. Having a particularly masochistic day, I followed those up with Bwlch-Y-Ddeufaen - a far more enjoyable climb and well worth it if you are in the area. I had planned the road to Nebo on the way back to Betws but saw sense and bailed out at Llanrwst. The Conwy valley is pretty much a cycling Mecca if you like brutal climbs. Oh to be that fit again!
    And then some other people say that Afon Ddu is the toughest climb in the country ..

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/b...in-the-country

I've seen the photos and read the review: skinny rider/lightweight bike, with 23mm tyres, doesn't sound that clever on a rutted concrete road around the 1 in 3 or steeper mark. There is a slight technical problem, in that the biggest sprocket I've ever bought is a 25 teeth. I did cycle over Wrynose and then Hardknott on a 24t, but that was over 20 years ago ...

And then we have a new contender for the steepest tarmacked road in Britain ...

https://blog.veloviewer.com/bamford-...-the-uk-world/

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    And then some other people say that Afon Ddu is the toughest climb in the country ..

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/b...in-the-country

I've seen the photos and read the review: skinny rider/lightweight bike, with 23mm tyres, doesn't sound that clever on a rutted concrete road around the 1 in 3 or steeper mark. There is a slight technical problem, in that the biggest sprocket I've ever bought is a 25 teeth. I did cycle over Wrynose and then Hardknott on a 24t, but that was over 20 years ago ...

And then we have a new contender for the steepest tarmacked road in Britain ...

https://blog.veloviewer.com/bamford-...-the-uk-world/
    The ride I referred to was a while back done on my reasonably light alloy framed Cube. Lowest gear was a 34x28 and it saw a lot of use that day. I've alway used 25mm tyres and up until then only ever had rim brakes on a road bike. I already had disk brakes on my commuter gravel bike and it was that ride that pursuaded me of the necessity of them on the road bike too after some hairy descending on patchily wet greasy roads and having to use a hedge to arrest myself from careering headlong into an oncoming farm vehicle.

I note the mention of Abdon Burf in the first article. That was another grand day out and probably earlier the same year. It's just about what I would call doable from home - about 100km round trip but maybe nearer 120km by the time you've factored in avoiding any major A roads. It was quite tortuous and as it's quite lumpy just getting there and back, the lights started to go out on the way home. Not been back since. Not sure I'll be paying Bamford Clough a visit any time soon either!
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    On the subject of Abdon Burf, it's interesting that while fell running is now well developed in Shropshire, there is no fell race on that county's highest hill. Presumably that is because Brown Clee is just a boring, rounded lump, without the excitement of going into and out of valleys on the Long Mynd, or up and down the steep sides of the Wrekin, Caer Caradoc, etc.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Just googled Abdon Burf as I had never heard of it. I agree with AK in that it looks pretty boring.

The most interesting thing Wikipedia told me about it was that its "Parent Peak" is Plynlimon.

Whatever a parent peak is, that seems a bit of a stretch to me!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Brown clee is pretty boring really, it's only merit as a cyclist is having a good stretch of asphalt all the way to the summit. Titterstone has far more about it (and a fell race). I wonder how many other county tops are so dull?
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Brown clee is pretty boring really, it's only merit as a cyclist is having a good stretch of asphalt all the way to the summit. Titterstone has far more about it (and a fell race). I wonder how many other county tops are so dull?
    To answer that last question, my thoughts initially went to East Anglia; but Norfolk's Beacon Hill has precipitous slopes down to the sea, and there is nothing dull about it. Surely the dullest county top must be the undistinguished tussock on the vast, flat expanse of Kinder Scout, that marks the highest point of Derbyshire.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I note the mention of Abdon Burf in the first article. That was another grand day out and probably earlier the same year. It's just about what I would call doable from home - about 100km round trip but maybe nearer 120km by the time you've factored in avoiding any major A roads. It was quite tortuous and as it's quite lumpy just getting there and back, the lights started to go out on the way home. Not been back since. Not sure I'll be paying Bamford Clough a visit any time soon either!
    As tempting as Abdon Burf is as a cycling climb,

https://veloviewer.com/segment/18101350

it's too far for me to reach, with the shortest ride-from-home being just over 137km/85miles - and this skims the top of Walsall and goes through the centre of Wolverhampton, as well as crossing the M6 and M6 Toll in each direction.

Probably closer than Bamford Clough, however, which gives me a reasonable excuse to miss as well!

After 17 weeks ignoring my bike, I had a ride today - sore and bruised bum!! Needs some rides to harden it up again, or invest in those padded cycling shorts as my Ron Hills don't give much bum protection especially bouncing about on the gravel tracks.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

The last few weeks have seen a return to the road bike after a winter of off-road or indoor cycling.
    Each Saturday morning, I have managed a 45-55km ride with the intention of clocking up at least 800m ascent. I find I don't have the time nor inclination for long distances these days and there are plenty of hills and quiet roads on my doorstep to get a good workout in not much more than a couple of hours.
    Today's ride (as do most of mine) went up and over the Clent Hills twice. Out via Uffmoor Lane and back via the splendidly named St Kenhelm's Pass (named after a local Anglo Saxon prince who was martyred on the hills.) It sounds grander than it is but Simon Warren sought fit to include it in one of his books although only bestowing a 4/10. I had intended to tackle Winwood Heath road too (SW 6/10) but the tarmac through the trees was very greasy and upward traction is difficult enough on its ramps of 20% when it's dry, so I gave it a miss.
    A most pleasant if cold start to the weekend. 50km/970m.
    Looking forward to Tour of Flanders tomorrow.
    Last edited by PeteS; 02-04-2022 at 05:25 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

On some days you need to get out into the dales and on other days enter into the grimmer parts of a city.

Today's 30 miles (2300 feet) ride was spent cycling to the Birkshall part of Bradford to photograph three redundant gas holders that are being demolished - and one aspect of cycling through a city centre on multi-lane fast roads is that it certainly sharpens your wits when right turns are involved. I had two rear red lights flashing to avoid ending up as strawberry jam.

There has been a gas supply in Britain since before the battle of Waterloo (since 1812 actually) and gas holders played their part for 200 years but now - except for those listed or being converted into posh apartmenst - they are all to be removed by 2025.

There are approaching 125 left (all decommissioned) and recently a photobook containg b/w photographs of every one was publshed. One of the pictures was of Birkshall and since I have been in touch with the author I thought I would update her ...

I could add that for two hundred years (and so before the motor car, or electricity or tarmac roads or much else) engineers provided the UK with a reliable gas supply; but then politicians decided to run down the North Sea source and buy gas from Mr Putin (and other countries)... and where are we now?
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 02-04-2022 at 09:45 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".