Page 782 of 782 FirstFirst ... 282682732772780781782
Results 7,811 to 7,818 of 7818

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Twenty one miles (1300 feet) along some local roads I haven't ridden for a month; so I noticed all the new road signs that have suddenly appeared. I now know one of the, very short, hills is 14%. If this road has been 14% since the Roman legions tramped along it I wonder what prompted the Highways Agency, or West Yorkshire CC, to suddenly decide that this information is now important enough to warrant a sign. Sign or no sign it felt much the same climb to me. As did the drizzle as damp, cold and fed up I finished in the dark.

In terms of pleasure I think this cycling lark is overrated.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 25-11-2021 at 01:00 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Hear, Hear, Graham.

Having not run for 12 days, due to the calf playing silly buggers again, I have, over the last six days been on 3 bike rides totalling 108 miles and with 8'500 feet of ascent. Most of the time I have either been sweating my b******'s off going uphill or freezing them off on the descents.

I just cannot seem to get my cycling layers just right and this was without the fear of rain of which I encountered zero.

There were small pleasures to be had however. 5 new TP's bringing me up to 88 different ones for the year and a delicious cup of coffee at The Sycamore Inn at Parwich.

I had my booster yesterday and seem to have got away with just a sore arm for 24hrs. A 7 miles walk with the dogs this afternoon and felt OK so up to Bleaklow tomorrow for a bit of a wander and try and get my bearings for the Trigger.

Dressing for running is so much more straightforward.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Yesterday was first ride in near 3 weeks - it wasn't raining or horrible - a gentle pootle round the loop of about 17 miles and 1000ft.
    I also find cycling has little to commend it through the winter months, other than the occasional perfect winters day, the rest is dire. Not having cycling clothes probably doesn't help but going out in rain is horrible, wind is dangerous and so is any frost and potential ice on the roads, plus every time I go downhill I freeze again. I am too old to take those risks as my bones no longer bounce when I fall over, they will break given any opportunity.
    And then there are the wet and muddy bikes to deal with that promptly go rusty overnight when put back in the garden shed.
    Fell running was so much simpler and warmer, I am happy in any weather on the hills and can keep warm and snug even when running down. Lovely sunny morning today for a bike, but freezing and ice on the roads still so a walk it is.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    I also find cycling has little to commend it through the winter months
    The Craven Arms, Appletreewick.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Reading your post below, a thought ��.
    Brought on by the fact our car, neither a jag, citroen or mustang (ok, it is a japanese thingy but forget what) has lots of warning lights flashing, quite festive for the time of year, but the garage cannot look at them for 3 weeks.

When will a cycle manufacturer start installing warning lights for malfunctioning parts? Imagine the fun of flashing handlebar lights and the tales to tell in the pub after a ride.

My ironic, and I hope amusing, letter developing the theme is published this week in Cycling Weekly.

To show gratitude for your inspiration I gift you all of my author royalties.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    My ironic, and I hope amusing, letter developing the theme is published this week in Cycling Weekly.

To show gratitude for your inspiration I gift you all of my author royalties.
    I presume Cycling Weekly is a weekly cycling magazine - which like most magazines struggles to find anything more to write about their subject on a weekly basis?

I used to write for a few magazines (running, fishing, countryside stuff) and did some articles and photography for Runners World or whatever it was called, we are talking 30 years ago, unless royalties have increased massively above inflation rates please keep any that come your way and treat yourself to a half pint of best bitter after your next race. And think of me 🍺

I presume Cycling Weekly is a weekly cycling magazine - which like most magazines struggles to find anything more to write about their subject on a weekly basis?

I used to write for a few magazines (running, fishing, countryside stuff) and did some articles and photography for Runners World or whatever it was called, we are talking 30 years ago, unless royalties have increased massively above inflation rates please keep any that come your way and treat yourself to a half pint of best bitter after your next race. And think of me ��
    Alas CW only prints one letter a week and the glory has to suffice.

When I was at school I submitted a few short pieces (a handful of paragraphs) to NME (New Musical Express) which they published, gave me name credit and paid me 3 guineas for each. That is equivalent to 70 today which was quite nice for someone who should have been studying for his "A" levels. So it is NME's encouragement that is to blame for all those articles I now write for The Fellrunner

Being paid in guineas says it all, serious money for a youngster 👍.