Page 790 of 846 FirstFirst ... 290690740780788789790791792800840 ... LastLast
Results 7,891 to 7,900 of 8454

Thread: Today's Bike Ride

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    To answer that last question, my thoughts initially went to East Anglia; but Norfolk's Beacon Hill has precipitous slopes down to the sea, and there is nothing dull about it. Surely the dullest county top must be the undistinguished tussock on the vast, flat expanse of Kinder Scout, that marks the highest point of Derbyshire.
    No,No,No,No,No AK. Kinder Scout is a wonderful place, even when you haven't a clue where you are!

For a county that has some wonderful high country, Staffordshire's high point at Cheeks Hill is not the most spectacular spot.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Lincolnshire? Wolds Top not that inspiring and at only 551ft must the lowest county top?
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

I think Huntingdonshire's aptly named Boring Field, at 263 feet, is the lowest County Top.

Early this morning…very very cold. Out from Derby to the Dove and Trent valleys. Easy 40km
    First ride post-op a month ago and it felt like I had square wheels.
    Lovely frost on the fields.
    Saw hares, lots of randy pheasants and hundreds of goldfinches fluttering in and out of hedges.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Brown clee is pretty boring really, it's only merit as a cyclist is having a good stretch of asphalt all the way to the summit. Titterstone has far more about it (and a fell race). I wonder how many other county tops are so dull?
    I once read Jonny Muir's Heights of Madness which IIRC was his adventure, primarily by bike (but where necessary on foot) to visit every county top in the UK in one unbroken trip.

Quite a romantic notion!

Muir is a journalist and so can write and my recollection of his book is that the romance of the venture soon turned to a grind and that some of the tops were uninspiring - almost in farmyards or so marginal (the Fens?) that it was hard to actually find them ie it wasn't all climbing upward to some towering majestic peak.

And not surprisingly he had trouble with his bike!
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 03-04-2022 at 09:30 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I once read Jonny Muir's Heights of Madness which IIRC was his adventure, primarily by bike (but where necessary on foot) to visit every county top in the UK in one unbroken trip.
    Some time in my youth, I went for a walk covering the county tops of Surrey, Sussex, Hampshire and Berkshire over a long weekend. I don't remember much of it, but the 42 miles I covered between Hindhead and Overton youth hostels remains the longest distance I have covered on foot in a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    No,No,No,No,No AK. Kinder Scout is a wonderful place, even when you haven't a clue where you are!

For a county that has some wonderful high country, Staffordshire's high point at Cheeks Hill is not the most spectacular spot.
    Where Staffordshire wins out is in having the highest village in Britain. I remember that I was rather puzzled when I first saw this in the Guinness Book or Records; I was about 12 at the time, and I knew enough geography to realise that Staffordshire isn't one of our more mountainous counties; or so I thought.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Some will argue that the Tour of Flanders is the greatest monument and many will argue that today's race was one of the best.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Some will argue that the Tour of Flanders is the greatest monument and many will argue that today's race was one of the best.
    Watched the last 80k of the men's and 35 of the women's.Enjoyed both races immensely - some fine racing throughout.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Went out on my Scott Solace for a spin to ease my aching legs yesterday lunchtime. Set off in bright sunshine and a nagging wind towards Buxton. The sun disappeared and I quickly realised that I was a layer short in the now very cold and biting wind, especially when it started to hail!

I changed plans at Brierlow Bar and headed south towards Earl Sterndale then into the relative shelter of Long Dale and on to Biggin. A mile on the 515 to Newhaven and then home via Monyash. My cold fingers were struggling to pull the brake levers near the end. A total of 31 miles, 2,585 feet in 2hs 3min.

There was a lot of traffic about, even on the quieter roads I mainly use. Some absolute prats driving around and it seems to me that the majority of inconsiderate drivers tend to sport personalised number plates on their vehicles!

And yes, the Tour of Flanders was a fantastic race, certainly from the highlights I watched.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Some absolute prats driving around and it seems to me that the majority of inconsiderate drivers tend to sport personalised number plates on their vehicles!
    You mean the illegal ones with altered spacing carefully placed fixings etc that the police with all their camera technology seem to ignore!
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run